63 Travelall

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

63 Travelall

Post by Klapatta »

DSCN8652.JPG
DSCN8652.JPG (817.41 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
DSCN8649.JPG
DSCN8649.JPG (694.55 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
DSCN8650.JPG
DSCN8650.JPG (627.85 KiB) Viewed 4115 times
DSCN8651.JPG
DSCN8651.JPG (438.94 KiB) Viewed 4115 times

BearKiller
First and Last Name: George Riley
Location: Poverty Springs KY 2018 Wettest State in the Nation

Re: 63 Travelall

Post by BearKiller »

Thanks for posting those.
I like old International trucks.
I had a neighbor (he moved away) who came into a pile of money and started collecting Scouts; we are definitely not in I-H country around here; other than those he gathered up, I can count the Scouts that I remember around here on one hand.
Before he moved away, he probably had fifty Scouts and that is a conservative estimate.
I still have the 4x4 Chevrolet truck that I bought brand-new in 1978; it has been rode hard and put up wet many times and has over half-a-million miles on it; however, I wish I had of been smart and got a 1978 I-H instead.
That Travelall with a 6BT Cummins, positive-arched springs, and ice-cold A/C would be a really nice machine to drive.
A 4BT would handle it with power to spare; but, for whatever reason, a 4BT vibrates too much.

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Yeah... I don't think I'd give the Travelall the distinction of "FIRST SPORT-Utility".

the 1936 Chevrolet CarryAll Suburban comes to mind, as does the Willy's Wagon and Willy's Overland Jeepster (1948).

There were LOTS of vehicles that fit the description of Sport-Utility Vehicle, but the term appeared early-mid '70's... I believe the Kaiser-Jeep Wagoneer was the first to be so-referred...
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

The Mt. Washington Carriage Road has been in operation since the beginning of the Civil War.
14%20mtn_wagon_on_road.jpg
14%20mtn_wagon_on_road.jpg (495.32 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Obviously these folks have taken a great pride in their fleet of Travelall's and of their partnership with International Harvester in creating a group of specialized mountain climbing rated vehicles. Only two fatal incidents are recorded, one due to a drunken carriage operator in the late 1800's and the second a couple of teen age girls that smoked their brakes on the way down back in the 1960's.
Anyway, I made it to the top.
DSCN8613.JPG
DSCN8613.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 4074 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Crosley Autos also coined the phrase sport utility as early as 1946.
crosley sport utility.jpg
crosley sport utility.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
This was their base level vehicle in response to the post war material shortages of the era, the all steel Crosley's cost more money.
Of all the Crosley car variants these are the rarest and most sought after.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

My wife and I recently bought a 73 Travelall. I got it all running and driving nicely. She even drives it some. This fall we'll get some other nagging issues lined out and paint it factory green again but we drive it. There's nothing quite like it anymore. You never see them, few people know what it is. Always a cool factor. We looked for a year just to find one close to driveable and I drove a good distance to get it. I understand why they didn't continue making vehicles but IH certainly had something great with the Scouts and Travelalls... if you can get over the 6-8mpg with that IH345 in it.
Attachments
IMG_20190608_164659.jpg
IMG_20190608_164659.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 4072 times
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Very nice :) That one is real clean.
My 79 Scout had the spread bore Carter thermo quad carb. So it did a lot better mile wise than that. But woe to anyone kicking in those secondaries, it turned into a torque monster when you did.
I recall back in the day doing a routine service on one of those Travelall's. It was staged up on one of those old school single post hydraulic lifts.
I felt like I was standing in dry dock underneath a battle ship working on that thing.