Sabre tractor

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Sabre tractor

Post by davis2 »

Hey guys, not sure if this is the proper forum, but my sister in law has her Dad's Sabre 1742HS lawn tractor to sell. I don't have pictures yet, but it is in decent shape. It really hasn't had much more than leaf blowing duty since 2008. If anyone could estimate value, I'd appreciate it. I would say fair/good for a start. I have to go start it and see what it may need... Any help or harassment will be appreciated.

Dave

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: Sabre tractor

Post by SWilliams »

The Sabre and Scotts tractors were both John Deere answers to build "box store" tractors to a lower price point. They wanted to compete with other brands in that market. The current JD 100 series are the ancestors of them. I would put them in the same category as the Cub Cadet 1000 series. Basically a lawn machine. JD sort of disowned them but some parts are still available. They were made from about 1997 through 2001.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Steve is correct, to add they are basically stx38 Deere’s painted differently. Deere upgrades there own line and took the older model and kept making them under the scotts brand. Then later the saber. Then did away with both!

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

Thanks for the replies. I did find the info on build dates. I'm hoping to find another home for it, but I'll have to assess the condition first. Maybe next weekend, it's in the Syracuse area.