Steering changes between garden and super garden

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Steering changes between garden and super garden

Post by SWilliams »

Oddball question 2... What was the rational for the change from the one piece tie rod set up on the garden tractors to the center swivel and dual tie rods on the supers? I was thinking it might have been for extra clearance but haven't found any attachments yet that would hit on the supers steering if it had the straight tie rod. Strength maybe? Just seems to add more wear points for very little gain if that was the idea. Possibly to make the steering angles better with the larger tires? Not sure that's a big deal on a tractor when many others used a solid rack and pinion set up that wouldn't change the angles as the wheels rotated.
So anyone ever heard why? Or is it one of those items where, someone thought it was a good idea, but never really gave a reason.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Steering changes between garden and super garden

Post by dag1450 »

Good question Steve. I have no idea but yes they do ad a lot of wear points and I have seen the large pin and lever thing very sloppy. I doubt anyone ever greases that and now I think about it....I haven't hit mine with grease in a long time. When guys ad power steering to 982s and others I'm sure it's just one long cross link tie rod. Has anyone tried by-passing the lever link?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: Steering changes between garden and super garden

Post by SWilliams »

Yeah It just doesn't make a lot of sense really, I'm in the process of sorting out the steering on the other 2284 at the moment and most of the parts are flopping in the breeze under there. Makes it interesting to steer when it takes a 1/4 turn before anything moves and the a 1/2 turn back to correct it. Think it may get heim joints like I used on others, they tighten the steering up nice and don't wear as fast as the oem style ball joints.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."