Solid cab doors.

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Solid cab doors.

Post by SWilliams »

I have a Sims cab for my super but the doors are beat from age. The "clear" plastic has shrunk and the velcro has peeled free of the frame. I looked at building steel doors for it but never got into it because of medical crap. Now that I'm starting to beat that problem it's time to build the doors. I have a few exterior pics of the Sims steel/glass doors but nothing showing the frame behind the door on the fender pan. I know on the earlier 82 series they had a large panel that went over the fender and bolted at the bottom with a lip for the door to seat against. On the soft doors they don't have that, they use the fabric to conform to the fender as a "seal" Has anyone out there got a Sims cab on a Cyclops with the steel doors and could tell me or shoot a few pictures so I can see what if anything they did different on the later cabs. I know the soft door frames for the cyclops cab are the same as the 82 soft doors, they are cut to fit the angle on the 82 fender pan.
Currently thinking of using the soft door frames but skinning them with 18 gauge steel and using some custom cut laminated glass or possibly finding some tempered glass from a newer cab that would fit as Sims has no real support for the older items. I would use polycarbonate but I can actually get the laminated glass cheaper!
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Re: Solid cab doors.

Post by davis2 »

Steve, will this help you? My buddy's cab has the soft doors, but I thought they were solid... It originally came off a cyclops, I believe.
20210101_162551.jpg
20210101_162551.jpg (3.56 MiB) Viewed 3403 times

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Thanks for the effort. His needs paint like mine does.
I found a complete cab with solid doors and the owners brochure but it's a bit distant and $850.00! I'm going to see if the owner would take pictures of the owners manual. I've never seen one of those at all!
I think I figured out that the only real difference is the solid doors have a reinforcing rib and the lower corner is sculpted to meet the rear fender pan. Unlike the earlier cab for the 82 series they didn't use a lower fender cover arrangement to seat the bottom of the doors.

davis2

Post by davis2 »

SWilliams wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:21 pm
Thanks for the effort. His needs paint like mine does.
I found a complete cab with solid doors and the owners brochure but it's a bit distant and $850.00! I'm going to see if the owner would take pictures of the owners manual. I've never seen one of those at all!
I think I figured out that the only real difference is the solid doors have a reinforcing rib and the lower corner is sculpted to meet the rear fender pan. Unlike the earlier cab for the 82 series they didn't use a lower fender cover arrangement to seat the bottom of the doors.
It will get painted, I'm sure. I took that friend to Lew's a few years back to get a 50" deck for his 1541. That deck got the full sandblast, paint, etc... Good luck with that new cab. The one in the pic was given to my friend, doors and all!

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Tell him to be gentle with it, Sims offers no support or parts for them because they are too old.

davis2

Post by davis2 »

SWilliams wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:37 am
Tell him to be gentle with it, Sims offers no support or parts for them because they are too old.
I will.