AC voltage killing my batteries?

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

AC voltage killing my batteries?

Post by MattS »

I have been having some bad luck with batteries lately. Seems like every tractor I have needs one. Well, The other day I wheeled out my charger so I could add a gauge type voltage meter to it. I started probing with my digital volt meter and noticed it only put out about 2 volts dc. Just for the heck of it, I switched the volt meter to ac and it was putting out any where from 12 -15 volt AC. Any of the experts out there know if the batteries might have been damaged by this? Maybe I could recharge with a good charger and save them. I hope.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: AC voltage killing my batteries?

Post by mgonitzke »

Your battery cannot output AC voltage. Only the DC setting on the voltmeter will display the correct DC voltage.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

MattS

Post by MattS »

I am talking about the output of my charger. I meant a battery charger, not a Dodge.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Your Charger seems to have bad ac to dc rectifiers and may even be the transformer as 15 V ac would only be max of 10.5 volts. I don't think it hurt the batteries but they won't have enough charge. Charge them back up on a low current setting if your next charger has one.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Oops...didn't see the word 'charger' the first couple times I read that. :?
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

jchabot
First and Last Name: Jim Chabot

Post by jchabot »

wdeturck wrote:Your Charger seems to have bad ac to dc rectifiers and may even be the transformer as 15 V ac would only be max of 10.5 volts. I don't think it hurt the batteries but they won't have enough charge. Charge them back up on a low current setting if your next charger has one.
It does appear that the rectifier is fried. The transformer is probably ok, most meters measure rms ac voltage.
"a man that started in to carry a cat home by the tail was getting knowledge that was always going to be useful to him, and warn't ever going to grow dim or doubtful"

Samuel Clemmons

MattS

Post by MattS »

I got a new charger, and so far only one battery that was in the "bad" pile is now ok.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Unfortunately, lead-acid batteries don't like to be discharged. If they are going to sit awhile, a charger that can keep them at "float voltage" is the only way to go. That is hard too if you have lots of equipment and batteries. If you shop for one, they are not a trickle charger; an old time trickle charger will still eventually overcharge the battery. A charger that will maintain the float voltage has a voltage regulator to keep the battery at the exact correct voltage. One brand that I used for years was named a "Battery Tender". It worked well and lasted for years, but I think I killed it when I put it on a shorted battery.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

Watch for those float chargers to be on sale at Harbor Freight. I have bought them for about $4 but they cost more lately. I use one on my diesel truck with 2 batteries and have 3 more for the Cubs.