Reference resource collections?

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Reference resource collections?

Post by SWilliams »

I was just wondering if this would be something wanted or considered for those who collect or own Cub Cadets. I have been a member of the Economy group for years and one of the members there (Larry Goss RIP) created a huge repository of information on those tractors and variants. Things like service manuals, sales ads, company information, parts lists and more. Then what he did was sell copies of that to anyone at the cost of the media and shipping. His thinking was that it's a good idea to have as much of the information out there in multiple places to prevent a huge loss if it was only stored in one place, like a web site that closed down or if the company that was supporting them decided to stop.
I know many of us have some items stored away and we use this site as well, but it might be a good thing to have multiple copies out there of everything we have collected over the years. Just an idea. Any thoughts?
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Clank
First and Last Name: Mike Schmit

Re: Reference resource collections?

Post by Clank »

Sounds good to me. I'm a classic VW owner, and I see a lot of info like that shared across several websites.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Sounds like a good idea Steve. I have no idea on what that looks like or how to do it but it sounds good. Are you thinking hard copies or out into the clouds somewhere?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

With the other site it was both. A thumb drive that Larry would update as he collected material and a website where he shared a lot of it as well.

Just thinking about how many times things have come and gone on the MTD site concerning our brand. I would love to see them put up a better site that had owners manuals, service manuals, service bulletins and parts lists that are up to date, but they don't make money off of that so I doubt they would do it.

We have quite a bit here but there are times when I'll look for something and not find it, then another member posts it from their stash. Was thinking it would be nice to try getting it all in one place. The worst thing is trying to figure out who has what, I know I have a lot of this stuff already but what do say you have different or Mike or Scott or ??????

Clank
First and Last Name: Mike Schmit

Post by Clank »

Hmm...good question. I don't have any good specific ideas unfortunately. It takes people to take the time to catalogue stuff, and then share it, so it would take the right individuals on both ends. Plus there can be issues with sharing and publishing stuff (e.g. costs, copyrights, etc.)
I'm a newbie and don't really know the dynamics of this and the other websites either.
If the admins figure out how they want to proceed and need help, I would be open to it, though.
Cheers,
Mike

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

interesting idea. I am not sure i have all the files we have here on my computer.... at least in normal format. The file names are all hashed on the server so its not quite as easy as just sucking them all out via FTP. And a good number of them would most likely need to be renamed as the file name doesnt really explain what the document it.... and a good folder system to separate out the files.

On the flip side they are all available here... and if people have stuff we dont have i can easily add them to the libary.
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Dave, yeah that is the issue I'm running into, renaming the files. Currently I've been doing it by using a description, Like Original Service Manual Then the IH, Cub, or MTD publication number.
I downloaded most of what's on this site and a few others including MTD but even then I'm betting there is information out there that I'm missing.

Then for the library I'm playing with I'd like to consolidate the information, So to use the original, I'm taking the owners manual, service info, wiring diagram and any items that were only on applicable to the original and they go into one folder, then on through the 70,100 and so on. So instead of having 6 different places to look you just open one file and it's all there. That is fun in the later years though.

One Item I haven't found though is a service manual or update for the later Cyclops tractors, I've been told conflicting information on them, one says there never was one, while another says there was but it was only update pages for the first manual. Haven't been able to verify either way though.

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Steve I am sure you know about this site. It has the current service manual with the updated page, yes page as I have a paper manual, but it is the
one for 880,000 and below.

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Deal ... &number3=3

Dave, I have been scanning the service bulletins for the 82 series through the 3000 series feel free to use and to add to the forum.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

scan of 450,451,551 service bulletins.pdf
(476.14 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
3000 series pump shaft.pdf
(936.25 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
mower deck spindle seal install.pdf
(739.29 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Scan2021-09-21_160514.pdf
(85.08 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
SGT mower deck front mule drive sheet.pdf
(707.28 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

A few more...
scan of t38 mower parts list.pdf
(6.29 MiB) Downloaded 132 times
Scan of snow thrower adapters.pdf
(1019.64 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Scan of clips on cyclops.pdf
(624.41 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
ez rake 110.pdf
(2.88 MiB) Downloaded 132 times

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Lew, Yep I've pulled a lot of info off the MTD site. I have the latest paper manual as well. it reminds me of the Haynes manuals that cover an entire series of vehicles where they show you a teardown of a truck with a 4 cylinder and say the V6 version "is similar".

I should have bought the local dealership when he decided to sell, he had been in business when the Original was first sold, there were tons of literature and every update from IH up to the MTD stuff in his files.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

i created a section for service bulletins... and started to upload them.

dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Excellent! Thanks Dave, and Steve.
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Thanks to everyone who has added material to the site.