Ham and CB chatter

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: Ham and CB chatter

Post by Klapatta »

Thanks Dave.
Yes, I'm partial to Hallicrafters in the same way others find themselves partial to International Harvester. It all depends on what you like.
This one responded to a full electrical restoration very well. It can receive single side band however without a band spread control that can become a bit tedious. Not bad for a motley 3 tube radio though.
DSCN1836.JPG
DSCN1836.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 309 times
It's been placed alongside some of my other zombie apocalypse rigs. All are plugged in and ready to play

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Now this is pretty cool. The executors of the estate where that S-119 came from were going through a bunch of stuff and turned up the factory owners and service manual. Rather than tossing it or placing it to auction they sent it directly to me without so much as letting me know about it first, they just wanted me to have it.
While reprints for most any radio ever made can be had this one is the real deal. Just goes to show there's still plenty of good people in the world!
DSCN1841.JPG
DSCN1841.JPG (820.62 KiB) Viewed 247 times

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Saw this, I believe they ship...

https://bid.ajwillnerauctions.com/ui/au ... 0/14519457

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJid3BhcGVyY2xpcC1wcm9kdWN0aW9uIiwidXNlX2VmcyI6dHJ1ZSwia2V5IjoiaXRlbV9pbWFnZXMvYXNzZXRzLzE2NC8wNjcvMTE4LzEwOC9vcmlnaW5hbC9SYWNrTXVsdGlwYXJ0MjAyNDAxMjQtNDE4NC0xOHpwOXZzLmpwZyIsImJ3X29yaWdpbmFsX3ZlcnNpb24iOjE3MDYxMTI4NzgsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2.jpg
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJid3BhcGVyY2xpcC1wcm9kdWN0aW9uIiwidXNlX2VmcyI6dHJ1ZSwia2V5IjoiaXRlbV9pbWFnZXMvYXNzZXRzLzE2NC8wNjcvMTE4LzEwOC9vcmlnaW5hbC9SYWNrTXVsdGlwYXJ0MjAyNDAxMjQtNDE4NC0xOHpwOXZzLmpwZyIsImJ3X29yaWdpbmFsX3ZlcnNpb24iOjE3MDYxMTI4NzgsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2.jpg (95.95 KiB) Viewed 221 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

It's an entery level receiver same as mine but if you were a 12 year old kid with one back in the day you were the envy of the neighborhood! I happen to have the factory owners manual for it.
DSCN1842.JPG
DSCN1842.JPG (1022.81 KiB) Viewed 198 times
One of their marketing ploys aimed at the newbie starting off was to say tune in Casto and listen to what that Son of a b is saying. This was to counter earlier media claims that by owning one you could qualify as a communist. Most evenings Radio Havana still broadcasts at  6.000Mc  and that one if working well enough would pull it in just fine.
To this day there remains something of a rogue thinking among short wave broadcast. The vegan flat earthers, ultra left wingers, neo hardliners, faith healers, unlicensed pirate operators on the run from the FCC, and all other sorts of snake charmers. Very much still the dark web of the airwaves.
There's more than plenty of solid vintage rigs to be had on eBay. Collins, Hammurland, Drake, Johnson, Hallicrafters are only a few. It all depends on what you like. As with most hobbies it can draw cash fast. Just set of new tubes alone can start at 150. and that is before the restoration work even begins.
It was rare that Daddies prized stuff got tossed away. One of the larger factors when making a choice is overall condition. Much of it was moved over to the barn where the rust and dreaded silver mica disease would take over. Good general rule is if there it's rusty on the outside it's rusty on the inside.