Ham and CB chatter

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Ham and CB chatter

Post by BigMike »

Let's hear the stories guys.

I first took to the CB airwaves in about 1977. My dad converted a van and part of the conversion was a Panasonic? am/fm CB. Wow! what fun!!
I could talk wirelessly to people all of 4 miles away!
I ended up with a Teaberry that was peaked, had a roger beep and a D104. I also had a 125 watt linear, an echo box and always ran dull fiberglass whips. A local guy did radio work and built amps out of his house. He was very secretive about his location so you would get ahold of him and he would tell you were to leave your radio and then he would call you and let you know when it was done. I became trusted enough that he would let me hang out while he worked. It blew my mind. His "work shop" was his kitchen table and his tools were a couple of screwdrivers, some side cutters, a soldering iron and cheapy VOM. Later on he built me an amp and I bought an antenna from him. I used it while I still lived at home with my folks. My mom came home one night from practicing the organ for Sunday at the church across the street and said to please be careful of what I say because I came over the speakers in the church. :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: Ham and CB chatter

Post by Klapatta »

Good topic Mike, there's got to be folks here that can chime in here to that!
I still have my first base station. It's a 1959 RCA Mk. 9 nine channel. RF output was through one half side of a single 6GH8 tube so it was not exactly a powerhouse, 4 and 1/2 watts peak if I recall.
DSCN0416.JPG
DSCN0416.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 13700 times
The mic is an Astatic D-104 with the optional transistorized gain control in the base. My antenna was a Radio Shack 5/8 wave omni directional vertical. The antenna base was 33 or 34 feet above ground level.
DSCN0415.JPG
DSCN0415.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 13700 times
In spite of power limitations it got out real good, the set up combination was why.

Over on the other thread I made mention that I had restoration work recently done on my little Hallicrafters S=120. It's appropriate now I think to show off the level of craft work that was done on my behalf from the underside.
IMG_7745.JPG
IMG_7745.JPG (4.97 MiB) Viewed 13700 times
Close attention was paid to placement of every part that was replaced and believe me I have the baggie full of stuff that he took out. It is one tough little radio that was struck by lightning back in 1968. That vaporized the BFO circut and burned a groove in the top of the case near the antenna like a weld arc yet it continued to work another 50 years until the filter can caps finally gave up the ghost. Without the variable BFO of course. I changed that can out and replaced all the tubes with NOS right around a year ago and it leapt right back to life. Some time later I decided I wanted a full on restoration done so it will last the next 50. And now it probably will.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

"O man..come on!" U was one of those....with the beep and the echo..all turned up, that was soo cool...back in the day! I was always secretly jealous of that sound. My little Midland worked ok when talking to the quarry loading operators....and maybe another truck if it was within a mile. Lol. I also had the dual fiberglass sticks on my mirrors...but since I was a triaxle dump...I had a big steel body with a cab protector, I angled them forward a bit. I liked the look..and I thought it gave little better reception. Idk. Man I miss that stuff.... yeah the cb was fun...chatin.... telling lies.... telling drivers behind you to look at stuff. The best was listening to all of the big talkers lies. I swear some guys don't speak a word of truth over the cb! Especially in the trucking construction industry. ITS ALL LIES... COME ON! BEEP!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

Here’s what put ole Biggy on the air.
Teaberry Stalker 9, peaked, D104, roger beep and uppers
Palomar echo box with ping.
Palomar 150 amp.
At the time I was was walking in knee high cotton, not tall but taller than stock. I could open the cash register at McDonald’s without the amp. :D
656BF632-93A8-487F-8C8E-EDB940D99367.jpeg
656BF632-93A8-487F-8C8E-EDB940D99367.jpeg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 13689 times

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Still have most of my gear as well. Cobra 2000GTL with a host of mods a vintage Robyn SB520D, a President Lincoln set up to sweep a bit more than legal, couple Browning bases and a Teaberry. Plus a stack of mobiles that all came home when I closed up the CB shop I had in a local truck stop. Then all the older parts rigs that have been slowly migrating away on an auction site. Still have some of the ham gear though, there's at least one FT101 in there, couple Hallicrafters and some heathkit gear. Back when the big boom was on most of the family had gear and we had regular rag chews on wednesday nights. Most folks ran "legal" but there were a few that were a bit adventurous and ran with the big dogs.. At the peak I had the 2000 running through a 1500 watt Heathkit tube amp and feeding a Wilson 20 element Laser Beam antenna up on a 150 foot tower. Had a super penetrator for local coverage and receiving. Still have most of the test gear to repair them but after cells and everyone going to export radios I sort of lost interest.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Winter is getting closer with each passing day and it's time to start thinking about moving indoor projects up onto the bench. This lump is next in line.
DSCN0523.JPG
DSCN0523.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 13524 times
I was able to print out a Sams Photofact for it directly off of the BAMA Archives.
DSCN0525.JPG
DSCN0525.JPG (878.29 KiB) Viewed 13524 times
Like most all boat anchors this one does seem to have plenty of room inside-
DSCN0526.JPG
DSCN0526.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 13524 times
I have not ordered in the recap kit from Hayseed Hamfest yet but I will soon. Everything I need to get started is ready to go.
DSCN0527.JPG
DSCN0527.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 13524 times
Not pictured is the cap tester as I'll be changing them all out anyway.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I put this unit up on the bench today. The first thing that I noticed was every single tube had been replaced. The 5Y3 rectifier and 6K6 audio output tested weak but all the others are well up into the green zone. I installed them all back in. Rectifiers and audio output tubes generally work or not at all anyway. Another tip off when starting with the evaluating is when some of the mounting screws are missing. Such was the case here so obviously someone has been inside before me and why not, this radio is seventy years old.
DSCN0532.JPG
DSCN0532.JPG (1.13 MiB) Viewed 13497 times
Out of the case it came and time to turn it over.
Whoa. Every single wax paper cap has been changed out with top of the mark orange drops. I did not see that coming. :lol:
DSCN0531.JPG
DSCN0531.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 13497 times
Pretty darn well executed job done too saving me about a hundred hours labor. The filter can cap was changed and bypassed out too.
So I'm gonna plug and pray it in without a variac and hope for no smoke. Let's see what happens.

Hey, this thing comes in hot! Very selective. All bands are alive.
DSCN0533.JPG
DSCN0533.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 13497 times
Here it is lit up. Later I dialed over to 13.4 MC pulling in a Spanish speaking station playing seventies rock. No drift, no fade in and out. Signals galore. Can't wait to try it after the sun sets.
I'm going to clean up the case and slide the chassis back in.
Now what do I do after that? :roll:

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I answered my own question. What do I do now. Wait for it to burn out, that's what. After a time the smell of varnish was in the air. That's never good. Turns out the audio output transformer burned out. Too much voltage on the primary side.
Enough of that and I sent it off to my restoration expert for a 100% going over.
Here is where he took that, wow.
IMG_9019.jpeg
IMG_9019.jpeg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 13354 times
I have just been informed that the alignment is complete and it's heading back my way. It comes in real hot so I am told. 8-)

A while back I made an eBay purchase on this.
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1601.jpg (225.55 KiB) Viewed 13354 times
And this is how it arrived.
!cid_ii_lchy02cs1.jpg
!cid_ii_lchy02cs1.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 13354 times
!cid_ii_lchy02h92.jpg
!cid_ii_lchy02h92.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 13354 times
In perfect condition for 70 years and then this, pretty sad huh?

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh man....that stinks! Im not even involved and its bothering me :(
Maybe thats an omen for your 2023.... :oops:

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

And that's not all Dave.The latest report from my guy is there is major damage. Back in the day that rig cost well over 2000 dollars in today's money.
Most all of the external case screws are sheared off. The chassis framework slammed into the outside case. All of the axles that drive the cursor pulley system are sheared off. All of the potentiometer mountings in the case are bent.
This could have ended badly. The seller assumed responsibility and credited me a full refund. He did not want it back. I asked my tech do you want it. He said he could fix but it's really totaled and he gave it to another guy who wanted it.
So I will never see it again :cry:
Damn things are like Cubs and potato chips, betcha can't eat just one :lol:
DSCN0599.JPG
DSCN0599.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 13319 times

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Wow that does sound totaled. Sorry!
It's crazy what we can get caught up in collecting. My parents are getting ready to downsize hopefully next year. He would say...he had a train layout. Well....that would not be accurate... wish me luck! :shock:

BigMike

Post by BigMike »

dag1450 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:59 pm
It's crazy what we can get caught up in collecting.
Like the crazy guys I know that collect lawn mowers. :roll: :lol:

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh man Mike!! I'm starting to think I was "drunk" the last 20 years. Every one of my man spaces around my house I have cub parts squirreled away....some are neat on shelves...some on dollies...some are laying around willy nilly. Good thing now...I have been sober for a few years!
"East bound and down" BEEP!! :lol:

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I added an S-53A to the fleet.
DSCN1404.JPG
DSCN1404.JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 12264 times
It's a great little radio

DaveKamp
First and Last Name: Dave Kamp

Post by DaveKamp »

I was listening to the Hawkeye Football game yesterday on my Hammarlund HQ-140X... Dang, it's amazing how crappy modern whiz-bang radios sound compared to this old beastie...

But... I did pick up an FT-1000MP Mk5 a while back, and it sounds pretty good...

Next up... an SDR... for the office...
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

This SX- 43 is a work in progress. Produced in 1947.
DSCN1481.JPG
DSCN1481.JPG (998.09 KiB) Viewed 11912 times
What would make this unit desirable is it was one of the very first receivers to offer FM reception from 85 to 110 Mhz. In those days the standard 88 to 108 band spread had not even been officially set in place.
Someone fooled around and fell out of love with it never finishing it. Stopped working on it half way through and it became my gain.
They had the bright idea of replacing the rectifier tube with a diode bridge. Well, that will be returned back to stock configuration.
DSCN1493.JPG
DSCN1493.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 11912 times
Another issue will be with replacing the audio output transformer.

DaveKamp

Post by DaveKamp »

I realize the purist/restoration desire, and there's some operational aspects of the thermionic rectifier tube that come into play with hollow-state stages.  The efficiency of the silicon diode pushes your rail voltage up higher, reduces interior temperature, and makes the supply current 'stiffer' under load, so making it work RIGHT involves a bit more than just slapping in diodes, and unless you're in a situation where the rectifier tube is simply unavailable, exercising the OEM plan is preferred.

There are cases where the rectifier tube's waste heat helps stabilize the unit's oscillator. Convection off of units below (particularly transmitters, modulators, and transmitting amplifiers, or a space heater, stove, or fireplace) would rise (TX's during transmit, of course) causing other circuits to drift, so the presence of a local heating source that was significantly stronger (at proximity) than external sources, and as a result, it became a very early concept of a 'crystal oven', but encompassed the entire deck as a tuning element.  Loosing that rectifier tube has a significant impact on unit heat.

I've had a few that I've done silicon rectifier conversions ON, the most popular was the Gonset G-50.  I drew up a 'Sam's Photo-Facts" like sheet of the service notes, and then added the rectifier mod, including resistance changes.  The plate voltage on the 6146's came up significantly, and the result was very noticeable at the dummy load.  It took some significant padding to keep down the RX deck B+ potential, but I didn't see any loss of sensitivity or rise in local noise (many guys mentioned that diode junction noise would overtake the unit... it didn't...

DK  :-)
Yes, I'm a Mad Scientist... but I'm usually happy, even when things ain't goin right.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

It does not make a lot of sense to me even with my limitations. Without an in line dropping resistor the voltages would be running jacked up inside all over. Such was never the intended design.
Good used or new old stock 5Y3 rectifier tubes can still be had on eBay, it's not like they are impossible to find. That rig is the size of a  boat anchor with plenty of room inside for heat to escape. While these have a roughly 1000 hour life span if there was any concern about longevity one could still use the commercial grade 6087 with it's ten thousand hour rated life for only a few bucks more.
s-l1599.jpg
s-l1599.jpg (98.47 KiB) Viewed 11892 times
Also, they are not that hard to change, the top opens up :lol:
I am suspecting that this at one time may have been a training aid? Yes it's true that the older octals generated much more heat then the later peanut tubes. The S-53A I pictured here before  is made up of one half side octals and one half of the later miniature style and the half side with the octals runs very much warmer than the other. While it is a neat little general desk top radio I'd not consider it for serious DX use, the sensitivity is somewhat vague. Only somewhat collectable, they ran tens of thousands of them for over 8 years. That one does have a very rich tone which makes for enjoyable listening and I'm glad to own it.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

After examining this rig carefully I reached the conclusion that many of the issues I had discovered at hand were beyond my limited abilities. It is pretty clear to even me that over the years there were several crude attempts made at getting it working again all of which continued to take things in the wrong direction.
Still it remained important to me to bring this one back to life, they don't make em anymore.
I decided to move forward on it by bringing in a professional restoration expert. He stepped up ready to accept the task at hand and that I am grateful for.  I sent it off to him for a full on 100 point chassis restoration. All new tubes and a complete recap kit had already been purchased by me so there was no point in backing down by then. Many of these remaining units that are out there are nothing less than rat urine infested pieces of junk. This one is cleaner than most from the start up and that is a big plus. We are going to be retaining the factory case patina however complete decal kits can still be had for them if a full repaint is desired. I polished the top, front, and sides before sending it off and liked what I saw, it takes 75 years to get something looking like that.
One of the areas first to be addressed was the return of the rectifier stage back to it's factory condition. I was told that was a big mess and that the diode bridge had been pushing out excess voltage as I had expected, well here is that stage now all pretty and proper.
IMG_4520.JPG
IMG_4520.JPG (4.45 MiB) Viewed 11808 times
The FM tuning coil needed some serious attention and had to be corrected.
IMG_4511.jpg
IMG_4511.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 11808 times
Here's a general over view shot with out of tolerance  resistors, caps, and variable pots being replaced. I have been receiving many progress images, there's no point attaching them all here. Many other stages had their own issues that are getting addressed as well.
IMG_4517.JPG
IMG_4517.JPG (4.63 MiB) Viewed 11808 times
Man, I don't have that kind of patience. It looks to be on track and done in another week or so, we will see.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

I have been receiving steady progress reports regarding the restoration of this radio. Things are looking good.
As with anything over 75 years old there was a lot of undiscovered hanky panky going on inside. All of those issues are being addressed with everything being returned to factory specification.
All of the capacitors and about half of all the resistors along with any defective wiring has been replaced.
IMG_2950.jpeg
IMG_2950.jpeg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 11702 times
Two defective potentiometers and one rotary switch have been replaced. the others have been serviced. The "S" meter was cleaned and adjusted.
IMG_4502.jpg
IMG_4502.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 11702 times
The FM descriminator was serviced with the internal 22 pF mica capacitor being replaced with an up to date part that will bring FM signal reception up to 21st century expectations.
IMG_4512.jpg
IMG_4512.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 11702 times
This radio is fitted with the old style 500 or 5000 ohm audio output configuration. A matching transformer has been obtained to allow the use of the now standardized 8 ohm system allowing the use of any small up to date speaker. 
There is no internal speaker on this rig. In those days all high end short wave receivers required an external speaker.
This should make for a fine addition to the collection providing Fedex does not toss it across room like how they did with that other one :?

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Yikes. This is the amount of burned out crap that came out of that radio.
DSCN1643.JPG
DSCN1643.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 11677 times

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

There was time today to put the 43 through it's paces and it performed very well. That one is a keeper.
DSCN1658.JPG
DSCN1658.JPG (1010.93 KiB) Viewed 11669 times
Because the audio output is either 500 or 5000 ohm based a matching transformer had to be installed between a standard speaker and the output side.
This little matching transformer intended for a Fender Champ guitar amp fit the bill perfectly.
DSCN1660.JPG
DSCN1660.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 11669 times
I purchased the correct matching 500 ohm speaker off of eBay and will continue  to use it as is until the correct speaker arrives.

Next project in line will be a Hallicrafters S-76. These units were in regular use with the US Navy during the Korean conflict.
Here's what one (not mine) looks like-
Hallicrafters_S-76_Front.jpg
Hallicrafters_S-76_Front.jpg (59.72 KiB) Viewed 11669 times

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Ken - These aren't my thing, but cool to see and follow.  I'm amazed at what a hot mess they look like inside, even after "restored".  No breadboard, no order, just a jumbled mess of soldered connections in free air!  They have to be terrible to trace out unless you have real tribal-knowledge of them.  Kudos to the guy making it right, it certainly looks to be a labor of love.  
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Several weeks ago I sent my S-76 out for a full electro mechanical restoration. Reports indicate that good progress is being made.
I opted out from doing a full cosmetic restoration so it will never again look brand new as the one pictured above. My decision to go that way was based on the fact that there are several cosmetic blemishes on the chassis that would disqualify it as a potential 100 point restoration candidate.

This was a receiver which was adopted by the US Navy during the Korean conflict. A very limited number of these were modified to Navy specifications at that time. The surviving number of those is close to zero. The result was a unit that looked like this.
fake1.jpg
fake1.jpg (272.88 KiB) Viewed 9203 times
A power on indicator light was added. The control knobs were changed. There off to the upper left an antenna trimmer control was added. That is actually a very nice feature. To operate in a ships tight quarters a set of pull handles were added. Other changes include relocation of some of the fonts and a war dept. tag installed mid position.
These are extremely rare anymore. In fact several knock off reproductions (fakes) are known to exist. However that is not the case with this particular unit as it has a documented history of being on some tub from someplace in the South China sea. Stolen by the guy that spent years parked in front of it when he shipped out. As his years advanced he decided to let it go to a collector. Poorly packaged, the BFO control was damaged and it is still not repaired to this day . The owner has the correct knob and shaft but has decided against moving with a fairly simple repair, keeping the rig historically correct.

Something interesting  turned up on mine. Take a look at the US Navy logo marked on to the voltage regulator tube.
IMG_3218.jpeg
IMG_3218.jpeg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 9203 times
Now with this just being a tube that could have been installed at any time from old surplus sources. Still that is quite interesting.
I do know that during WW2 and Korea all machine tools that were contracted on to Navy ships were stamped with the symbol, usually close to the machine tool stamped serial number.

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Have received a report that my S-76 is complete, nicely burned in, and re aligned. Sounds like he played it all weekend long.
Some before and after images were attached along with his invoice and I'd thought it nice to just be able to compare side by side.

Chassis tear down before cleaned.
IMG_01 2.jpeg
IMG_01 2.jpeg (458.59 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
Chassis partial reassembly after tuner stage and chassis being cleaned
IMG_02 2.jpeg
IMG_02 2.jpeg (495.04 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
Front face prior to wash,touch up and polish.
IMG_50 2.jpeg
IMG_50 2.jpeg (259.65 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
Front face turned out all nice and pretty. We could have done the full restore with the decals and such.
With the less than outstanding condition of the chassis with it's plating discoloration this is more suited to the overall result.
IMG_51 2.jpeg
IMG_51 2.jpeg (280.49 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
All 11 tubes have been replaced with new old stock General Electric five star or military grade HD specification tubes.
Underside after rework.
IMG_3340.jpeg
IMG_3340.jpeg (4.19 MiB) Viewed 4587 times
Every old cap was replaced. Most every resistor was replaced. All the controls were disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Flaws in wires replaced with correct style replacement wiring.
Alignment performed to factory specification.
A couple of the control knobs were incorrect, they have since been correctly replaced.

This is going to be calling it quits for me with these restorations for a while. There are six now and each has it's own unique traits.
Will need to make room in the radio corner for this one when it comes in. I will set and arrange them in a fashion that any one can be turned on and comfortably tuned in.

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

Here you go Ken, just keep your promise you will not buy anything.

https://www.estatesales.net/NJ/Jackson/08527/3912081

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Pretty sure I got everything I need right here :)
DSCN1716.JPG
DSCN1716.JPG (1020.98 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
DSCN1719.JPG
DSCN1719.JPG (1.24 MiB) Viewed 3634 times
DSCN1721.JPG
DSCN1721.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 3634 times
But I would not mind having that Fisher 800B though. Used to have an 800C. Trouble with them is they can turn into money pits big time real quick. A quad set of those 7591's can hit 600 bucks if you can find them.
The big snow is heading this way and the Cubs are ready!

davis2
First and Last Name: Dave Davis

Post by davis2 »

l palma wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:48 pm
Here you go Ken, just keep your promise you will not buy anything.

https://www.estatesales.net/NJ/Jackson/08527/3912081

Long time, no see. How have you been Lew?
My friend Nick redid the deck you sold him and is still using it!

Klapatta

Post by Klapatta »

Oh jees, not another one. So some considered this thing a toy, well it's no toy.
s-l1604.jpg
s-l1604.jpg (186.18 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
Produced from 1960 to 1964 the Sky Buddy II had an extremely limited production run. As in think thin axle O. Sold in operational assembled condition or as a kit, designation model S-119 was a very attractive little rig for it's day. They are very hard to find and as nice as this one is. Most were run for the normal ten to fifteen years or so and tossed into the dump heap. I'm confident this sample is a low hours factory build unit.
This was the only model ever offered by Hallicrafters to come in kit form. After assembly, for five dollars one could send it off to the factory for a calibrated alignment.
This one does have a loud 60 cycle buzz that increases as the volume is turned up. One stage of the filter can cap is confirmed dead shorted and I'm confident that it will snap right back to life once that is changed out.
It will land itself as the missing link between my S-118Mk 2 and S-120.
Hey kids, collect the whole set :lol:

DaveKamp

Post by DaveKamp »

Nice fleet, Ken!

Somewhere... I have an HA-6...

But recently, it's been an RTL-SDR BLOG V3