Car Trouble Question

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
atwrk2010
First and Last Name: Jeff Pierson

Car Trouble Question

Post by atwrk2010 »

My wife came home today, and said the front end of our only vehicle is making noise. I took it for a spin, and sure enough there was a sound. I pulled the car in the garage, and removed the tire. This is what I found, a broken sway bar. Arrg! I have never seen this happen before. I don't have the funds to fix this right away so what i'm wonder is can I drive the car just till I get it fixed?
Attachments
12-4 006.JPG

MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

Re: Car Trouble Question

Post by MattS »

Back in the day a sway bar was optional equipment. Driving with it broken will let the car lean a little in a hard turn or a sudden lane change. I don't see it causing any problems though. I drove with a broken sway bar link for over a year and when I finally fixed it I couldn't tell a difference.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

That looks very familiar. I think I have a TSB about that problem someplace. What year, make, model is it and I'll look. I would unbolt what is left and drive it. You may notice some extra wallowing with it off. If you know a good welder it could be welded back on.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

mlamar
First and Last Name: Mike LaMar

Post by mlamar »

Gotta give my 2 cents. I know it tight for just about everyone but ya really need to get it fixed. :o Not safe to drive like that. They put sway bars on for a reason. Today's vehicles utilize the sway bar for control. You need all the control you can get with the weather and other drivers. If you were closer to Akron Ohio I would get it fixed for you. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

atwrk2010
First and Last Name: Jeff Pierson

Post by atwrk2010 »

Swilliams. The car is a 2000 Buick Century.

mlamar, thanks for the offer. The car has just been sitting in the garage, and we don't plan on driving it till it's fixed.

I called a junk yard for a sway bay but it was only $25.00 cheaper than a new one......I will just get the new one. I also found out you can't just replace the bar, you need a few other parts to go with it. Arrg! Gotta love cars.......good thing my Semi is running good so I can pick up stuff with it. Though it's funny to go grocery shopping in it lol

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Thought I recognized that mount. The TSB I have covers it but they didn't issue a recall as it was not deemed hazardous.
Basically it tells about looking for the broken eye if there is a noise in the front end. Seems they had a batch with bad welds.
Didn't see any good will policy on it or dealer price break so I guess it won't help any.

You will likely need replacement end links (just cut the old ones off because they are usually rusted on pretty good) and I would replace the mounting bushings as well. They get a pretty good beating doing their job.

At least a bobtail fits in a double parking space, Try that with a 28' box truck!!
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."