Old trucks... lets see them!

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Re: Old trucks... lets see them!

Post by Amigatec »

Up in SE Kansas was a 1941 Dodge Truck that had never been tagged. The war broke out and the Gov was asking for all the new trucks to used for the War effort. And this truck was owned by a Dealership, the owner decided to keep and took it to his farm. Well years later it was sold and the kid that bought it, had it transfered to his name and tagged it. It's not often you can be the "original owner' of a 1941 Dodge.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

This 1941 IH truck was one of 5 bought new in 1941. The war broke out and they used the parts off this truck to keep the other 4 trucks going. It sat in a corner till about 1989 and someone seen that it only had 17 miles so they got it restored and I have seen it a couple of times at other shows. I was still using my London camera.
This IH truck I first saw RPRU 03.
This IH truck I first saw RPRU 03.

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

OK, so the quest for a farm truck took another turn, but I think the search is now over. The truck I went to NY for I am very disapointed in. It does not suite me and to get it to where it would will take lots of little things. I am admittedly picky about things, and I want my things nice even if it is jus going to be used around the farm etc. So...... with that I flew to Charlotte NC yesterday and picked up this truck. It's a 97 GMC with just about all options including leather. It's way too nice for a farm truck, but the price was right, it has been well cared for and runs great. It has the 454 Vortec in it, and it also has an over drive behind the transmission that drops engine rpm by about 4-5 hundred rpm going down the interstate. It got about 14mpg coming home yesterday. Much better that the NY truck that got 8.5 mpg (admittedly it needs a tune up in the worst way)

It has a hide a hitch goos neck hitch in the bed, and is set up to pull trailers. (which is what I want). I plan to swap the tires off the NY truck as they are brand new, and then re sell it. I am also going to sell the other old trucks as well. I wanted afla bed truck, and I have a nice 9ft bed now (off that old ford I bought) so I may take the bed off this one and replace it with the flat bed. I am going to take the tool box out of the bed, as well as those goofy running boards for now and just use it as is.
Attachments
gmc.jpg
GMC 4.jpg
GMC 3.jpg
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

BB,
Give the running boards a try before youy take them off. They sure make getting in a 4x4 easier, and a lot easier to get something out of the bed. I am 6'2'', and can barely reach over the side of the bed to the bed floor on my 09 4x4. Yours may not sit as high as the newer ones, but the "goofy boards" will come in handy.

Do some close measuring before you try to put the flat bed on the dually, the flat bed was probably made to fit on straight, flat, frame rails, and I don't believe that dually frame is made like that, and if I am not mistaken, the dually has a wider rear axle than a one ton flat bed chassis has.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

I agree with Paul as we have them on our dually they help getting in and out granted my legs are not as long as most

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Man is that one nice lookin truck!
BB,you didn't ask for my .02 but that has never stopped me before :D
Thats a damn nice lookin truck to go pissin it up with a flat bed.

Did I say what a nice lookin truck that is :lol:

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Nice GMC BB. Was that Mikeys truck -- I see the OCC plate?
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

But BM, it's not a Ford? I can't believe you said soemthing nice about a GM product! :)

Paul, Ray, I will give them a try but I don't like them, but I do really like that truck. It's in pretty good shape too. It isn't perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than the NY truck.

Oh and BM, IDK, I kind of want/need a flat bed...... we'll see I ain't gonna do much to it right now other than try and get that "smoked in smell" out of the interior.

I doubt it was his truck, but it would be cool if it was, and yes the OCC plate is staying!
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I never said it was a truck I would own just that it looks nice :D

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Nice looking truck BB. I had a blue 98 that I bought new. Give the running boards a chance, in addition to getting in and out, the more importantly save the rockers doors and cab corners from abuse from road debris, salt and such. They make a big difference over time.

You can put flatbeds on pickup truck chassis, but they have to be a full 8' wide to fit properly. I installed and aluminum Hillsboro flatbed on a Dodge I had that was a pickup bed prior. My current truck was manufactured as a cab and chassis, and does have perfectly straight frame rails. If i remember correctly, there was a subframe kit that was made for installing flatbeds on pickup truck chassis. Flatbeds make great work trucks.

I'll see if I have pictures of that truck.

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

hey Todd you know he has a low mileage IH pickup too his father inlaw was a IH dealer he also has just about every year M I helped him find a 1943 M

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

BB..
That is exactly like the one I drove all the Midwest for NHRA except ours had a manual trans in it.
I would guess I put 50,000 on the truck towing the NHRA Division 5 Tech Trailer from race to race and to special events in Mo, Mn, Ia, Co, Ks, Il Wy.. ND and SD.
Towing we never got better than 10mpg but a lot of it was in hilly country and high plains...

We were heavy with 250 gallons of fire supression fluid, two large oxygen tanks, 50 gallons of fuel and a 28 foot trailer loaded to the gills.

I would also say give the running boards a try. They make it much easier to retrieve items from the bed and help entering and exiting the cab. You will be surprised just how sturdy they are.

For a Government Motors it looks good..LOL

They do ride relatively good. Try putting 6-800 miles a day and you want a decent ride. The rear jump seats are not made for comfort or long hauls...I know..I rode one time from Great Bend Ks to Kansas City is the back....could not wait to get out...though about getting in the bed except it was a little cool....

Paul B. The flange to flange on the DRW axle is wider than the SRW. I believe they are the same whether it is a flat bed or a P/U. You could buy the chasis w or w/o a bet.....
They use a piece of wood cut to the contour of the frame as a shim between the frame and the bed main rails.

I would venture that the flat bed will NOT fit due to differences in frame width and spring kick up....
You may have to put an additional channel on each side to match up with the chevy frame.

You should have said you were picking up a truck from Charolette...I cold have had tPiedemont Trucking throw it on their lo-boy and bring it up on their way to pick up a dozer from the farm.....Supposed to be here thursday or friday. They were deadheading.....here from Charolette

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

found this If someone can explain one in here looks to be turn signals beside kerosene headlights ?????

see all the trucks forward and backward navigating the next and previous bar at the top --- enjoy !!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kml6/10545 ... /lightbox/

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Jim...
If I was a betting man, I'd bet that the state manditated turn signals so it could be licensed for road use. That signal was not made on the truck. It came with gas lights on front and the kerosene light(single) on rear as well as two running lights as pictured.

I have two of those originals still with wicks...have had them for 40 years....

One is missing a lense....

That signal probably came from an international truck in the 40's or 50's.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Ok, so you are correct the frames are different from the cab/chassis to the dually at least on the 88-98 trucks. With that it will take a little bit of work to get the flat bed to fit this truck, so for now I am going to keep the regular bed on it. I did get the new tires put swapped over to it today and I adjusted the tie rods to where the steering wheel is now centered. I also put all new cab clearance lens on the top as they were all cracked. After a slight adjustment to take up what little slack there was in the steering it now runs down the road really well. The scooby doo mud flaps had to go as well as the tool box in the bed. The running boards are still on for now. I still think they look goofy and I am kind of concerned of dragging one off at the farm, but we shall see.

Overall it seems like a really solid truck and with the over drive behind the tranny that drops the rpm of the motor it gets decent mileage. This truck also have huge tri Y headers and true dual flowmaster exhaust, so it sounds pretty mean!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Ok so I ended up on a long journey with old trucks that led to the 97 GMC dually. I have used it quite a bit and it's a solid truck.

So... I have always wanted a 55-57 chevy pickup. I finally found one here local last week for a good price. I picked up a complete 57 that needs a lot of work, but will make a good project and something thta will keep my interest over the long haul. It's gonna be some time before I get to it, but if they load here are a couple of pictures.

well never mind.. pics are too big... :(

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

While it may not be a Truck, it's close. My wife is in a wheelchair and we needed a Van with a lift, so I move her around. This is what we found.

1999 GMC Savana, it has about every option you can get.

CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

wham
First and Last Name: Tim Ham

Post by wham »

Well, I'm saying goodbye today to probably one of my alltime favorites . Sold it yesterday and the guy is coming to pick it up today. 1987 Dodge Dakota 4x4 . Hauled quite a few Cubs and other stuff in it's day . Sad day but time to move on and this guy says he's gonna rebuild her .

Did manage to salvage a small piece of Crimson Memorabilia ............... y'all know how us Tide Fans are !
Cub Cadets, Just Like Lays Potato Chips, no one can own Just One ! ! ! !
Originalx7, 70x2, 100x2, 71, 102, 72x2, 149, 169, 1450 two stick, 782, 782D, Z-Force (yaller fever )

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Tim you sold something????????????????? Oh your wife will be so happy! :lol:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

wham
First and Last Name: Tim Ham

Post by wham »

Yep Vince, she almost smiled ! But said something about the out going has got to start "out numbering" the incoming "Treasures" (well, she didn't exactly call em treasures either LOL).
Cub Cadets, Just Like Lays Potato Chips, no one can own Just One ! ! ! !
Originalx7, 70x2, 100x2, 71, 102, 72x2, 149, 169, 1450 two stick, 782, 782D, Z-Force (yaller fever )

Southtowns27
First and Last Name: Andy Deegan

Post by Southtowns27 »

Here's my stuff.
First is my '55 Willys CJ5. It's the first vehicle I ever owned and I've rebuilt everything in it probably more than twice. It's got a nicely built Chevy 283 in it with a whole lot of other goodies.
This is my '49 Chevy 3/4 ton Deluxe
Before:
And this is the most recent pic I have, but it's all in paint now. Just have to find the time to reassemble it:
Not really that old, but I guess old enough is my '96 Dodge Cummins. This one is my daily driver and has almost a quarter million miles on it and still going strong.
And finally, my fiance's '50 Dodge. It's a genuine barn find with only 80,000 miles on the clock:
Last edited by Southtowns27 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Way cool, especially that Dodge....

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Andy,
Nice toys!
I used to have a 57 Willys. I still kick myself for letting it go.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Time to dig up an old thread. The dually is still serving farm duty and has done a pretty good job. Hasn't been driven much but when it has it has been used. The hail storm this spring didn't do it any favors, but otherwise it's still in good condition.

I did pick up another truck recently. I'll try and post pictures later.

Yes BM I got a FORD this time and it really was Found On Road Dead! :) I picked up a 2000 Ranger ext cab 4x4 with a dead auto tranny in it. I'm going to try and rebuild the tranny myself over the winter. Otherwise it's a pretty decent truck and I got it for a really good price.

Ford... who'd of thunk ole BB would buy a Ford! :shock:

Flatbedford
First and Last Name: Steve Alexander

Post by Flatbedford »

Here's my '70 F350 hauling the 149 this summer.
Attachments
DSC07255.jpg
DSC07253.jpg
Steve
149 SN 423412 2/72
149 SN 492143 12/73
Blade, decks, brinly plow, cultivator, rear blade, snow thrower

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

1947 Ford
1947 Ford
3G53F63N55N85G75F8cba6ef296492089124b.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 9739 times
Whats wrong with Fords ??? Bet a few Chevy guys would drool over this one.

Found it here ... http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bar/3401042277.html

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

A pic of the Ferd.... drug home by a Chevrolet or course! :)
Attachments
securedownload[1].jpg

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Still working on the farm....

Well nevermind I can't get the picture to load. But the GMC Dually is still hard at work.

JLazar
First and Last Name: John Lazar

Post by JLazar »

Here is my old truck. The last of the F-100 Series, my 1982 F-100. Two wheel drive with four speed manual shift gear box. I think it has the Ford nine ince rear end. Its a pain-jane . Has the 4.9 liter 300 inline six cylinder power supply. I had the rear suspension picked up to a 3/4 ton as the truck's main purpose is to bring home the fire wood, and of course, haul my IH Cub Cadets around. Here you see a 1450 loaded in the 6-foot bed. This truck would make the perfect 1995 Ford Lightening clone,....!
IMG_4084.JPG
IMG_4084.JPG (4.18 MiB) Viewed 9678 times
Expect The Best; IH Cub Cadet!

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

My 86 Scottsdale 10 truck
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (299.93 KiB) Viewed 9686 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (169.94 KiB) Viewed 9686 times
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.