Old trucks... lets see them!

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Re: Old trucks... lets see them!

Post by mikeyb »

Nice looking truck BB! When you going to get it?

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

after thinking about it, and knowing that I plan to leave this truck up at the farm I settled on the auto. That way my mom can drive it (dad can't see well enough to drive) and they can use it to go get feed etc. I would not have one of the older 3 speed autos I know thye are tough trannys but but with the newer 4 speed over drive tranny's hopefully yhis won't be too bad to drive down the highway occasionally.

I am not sure if this truck as a goose neck ball in the bed or not, but that is something I would like to have in this so that one of these days I could get a gooseneck trailer to haul my bobcat on etc.
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Hopefully by next weekend. Not sure how I am going to do that yet. Thinking about driving my Pontiac Vibe up there, renting a Uhaul dolly and using the "new" truck to tow it back home. Seller stated he saw no problems with truck making it back home and if it's been taken care of it should easily. Other option is to drive my truck up there with the trailer.

Vibe gets 30mpg on hwy, truck with trailer at interstate speed gets 15-16 at best with empty trailer. That dually should get about 10mpg loaded coming home, with my ytruck getting about 12-13 loaded that heavy coming home so the return trip isn't a big difference, it's the getting there that will save me some money taking Vibe.
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

BB,
Did you look into renting a car?
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Not yet

I did just look into renting a tow dolly 149 bucks..... for the one way rental... not as cheap as I had hoped. That really won't save me much to do it that way. So now I am looking at Car rental.

PaulD
First and Last Name: Paul Proulx

Post by PaulD »

Here is my old truck 79 Chevy K20 350 4 speed I have owned this truck for 29 yrs, last summer I took it apart and put new floors, cab mounts, cab corners, fenders,rocker panels,the bed is all apart but I am trying to decide if I should fix it or build a flatbed. The sides of the bed are in good shape but the floor is gone all the used ones around here are in worse shape than the one I have
Attachments
Picture 4.JPG

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

bbaker wrote:Not yet

I did just look into renting a tow dolly 149 bucks..... for the one way rental... not as cheap as I had hoped. That really won't save me much to do it that way. So now I am looking at Car rental.
Don't know if you have access to these stores or not on either end of that trip'
http://www.grandrentalstation.com/equip ... =0391805-1
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

It appears right now I may be flying out to and having Scott Cooper pick me up and take me to the seller. It seems I can fly up there for about 200 bucks and with the help of Scott to take me to the guy.

Here is a perfect example of the generosity of Cub people. I have never met Scott, but I have spoken with him today and he is willing o help me out on this task! Pretty kewl isn't it. :)

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

BB.
One-way car rental will cost you a TON!...I looked into that when I needed to take my son's mustang from here near St. Louis to Fort Benning GA. They wanted over $600 for one-way...needless to say..I hauled it on my trailer and dead headed back for a lot less than $600.
Flying up and driving back is the cheapest. That was how I got the Ford Diesel back fron Atlanta when I bought it there. I got lucky and found a oneway flight for $90...less than 24 hours prior...that was in 2005...

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I finally talked to the guy on the phone about the truck, it turns out it does not have AC, never had it from the factory. I just assumed being a 1998 it would have air, but it doesn't. Having A/C is not completely needed it was one of the aruguments I used for myself to justify spending a little more and getting a newer truck. Grrrr... what to do what to do... I would have never thought it wouldn't have AC.

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Even without the ac, that truck still may be the way to go. I dont know what they guy is asking for it, but by the time you build that olf 77 the way you want it chances are you'll have as much or more in that than the 98. The 98 will be much more powerful and smoother running as well. I had a 98 K3500 brand new. It was a good runner, just hard on gas. The 98 being turn key is worth something too.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I agree, do you think if I went to a junk yard I could get all the parts needed to put AC on it?

EdWells
First and Last Name: Ed Wells

Post by EdWells »

BB there are some companies that still have the add-on ac kits

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

in these parts there are u pullit places and you should be able to make ac without much cost

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

BB
"Man trucks" never came with air conditioning. just the grocery gitters
A lot of "work" trucks ya spend half yer time in the heat anyway. so ya use the 2 / 50 air system. :mrgreen: Just Kiddin :P

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

bbaker wrote:I agree, do you think if I went to a junk yard I could get all the parts needed to put AC on it?
Seriously -- you may also have to change out the radiator because it may have a thinner radiator for the AC core to properly cool.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I have decided to go after the NY truck even without air. I plan to fly up and drive it back home. It sounds like a really nice truck otherwise. I sure hope so anyway.

Vince, Frank, and all you other Ford men out there this should be a sad day for you all! I took that heap of a diesel ford to the scrap yard, and got pretty good money out of it. I kept the bed off of it and now I have next to nothing in the bed! :) I also siphoned about 6 gallon of diesel fuel out of it as well before taking it. I have never taken a vehicle to the scrap yard but after today I got two more old junkers to take (not the two trucks) and a whole bunch of cub scrap. In fact I may have found a new hobby, scrapping! :)

dmcdowell
First and Last Name: Dan McDowell

Post by dmcdowell »

Just a quick rule of thumb on GM trucks, if they have only two headlights they don't have ice. At least on the pre 2000's. Tint the windows and break the speed limit.

mpfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

My 98 GMC had the two headlight system and had a/c. My buddy had a 94 with the same work truck trim package and his also had air as well as power windows and locks.

You'll like that truck BB and that one looks pretty nice and clean. Been kinda looking for a 92-00 Chevy/GMC 4x4 myself with the 6.5 diesel for a run around truck. Trying to find a regular cab, single wheel truck, diesel, not beat up and for a reasonable cost has been tough. Trying to find it 5speed is nearly impossible.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Matt, yes they are hard to find that don't have 1 billion miles, and beat up. I have kind of off and on looked for some time, and while I like the diesel's (owned a 95 2wd a few years ago) I can't really work on the diesel, and at the age they are getting, they can be a bear to start in cold weather etc. I know this 454 is gonna use some gas, but no more than I plan to drive it it's won't make a lot of difference in yearly cost. Plus a new cam and some decent exhaust and it will make a ton of power without a hit to the mileage! :)

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

mpfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Didn't see that one, and looked over all of Ohio CL. Yeah thats it, but want a single wheel p/u so it fits in my house garage. Found a couple up Mansfield way but need engine work......am I in the mood for a project?

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/cto/2109115730.html

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Hmm.. I would not want to work on the diesel. You can convert from a dually back to single wheel, but I still think Dually's are better!

mpfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

I have a good friend who is a mechanic. He bought my old 93 Chevy diesel back in 02. He still drives it to this day, and has redone the top half in it. It runs better than any 6.5 I have ever seen. Mechanically the truck is perfect, interior perfect, body shot. He still works with me and plows snow with it. If I get one needing work, he would help out. Believe it or not that 6.5 is realtively easy to wrench on.

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Jim,
BB
"Man trucks" never came with air conditioning.

That's what I've been trying to tell Vince :roll:

Big trucks,
Anyone remember the old style seat with the adjustment lever on the side for spring tension?
If you were driving down the road and conditions were just right where you hit a dip in the road, the seat would bottom out and launch you into the headliner.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Scott C. wrote: Big trucks,
Anyone remember the old style seat with the adjustment lever on the side for spring tension?
If you were driving down the road and conditions were just right where you hit a dip in the road, the seat would bottom out and launch you into the headliner.[/font][/center]
Al I ever wanted to be was a truck driver and I do still have some Knowledge bumps on my head from those gum band ratchet seats I liked the old Mack with the air assist steering no one wanted to follow me into the strip job in the winter with frozen ruts. spent more time building air than driving.
the seat suspension was so bad worn out when ya made a left turn felt like ya was on a Popsicle stick.
Good for the pucker strings though. unless a skinny guy wore out that seat then ya felt like ya was sitting on a toilet seat not much suction, but left room for those times ya had to make a panic stop without breaks.

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Old B-Model, no power steering, off road, fingers jammed into the wing vent post.
Ahhhh, memories.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

dmcdowell
First and Last Name: Dan McDowell

Post by dmcdowell »

My 97 Sierra 3500 w/5.7 vortec 5spd 2wd gets 14mpg empty, 12.5 with a 1ton payload towing the small hydroseeder and 9.5 with 9000lbs on the big trailer. I did that a bunch of times when I was doing a job up in New Hampshire. When I hauled my skid steer up there I did not bother with 5th since the truck would run easiest at 58mph in 4th at a decent rpm. I was driving for mileage on those trips. If I was in a hurry I could crush all those numbers. 7.4 big blocks will get repectable gas mileage in a one ton truck if you use the power when you need it. And of course keep them very well tuned. I now have 182,000 on that 97 gmc 5.7. I can't think of many 6.5s that lasted much more than half that without major issues though there are some. All I can say about duramex is I wish I could afford one. They are animals with power, mileage, and longevity. Alright, I will be quiet now. Good looking truck BB

Doog M
First and Last Name: Doog Martin

Post by Doog M »

Scott C. wrote:
Old B-Model, no power steering, off road, fingers jammed into the wing vent post.
Ahhhh, memories.
You forgot split shift

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Post by Mcamp »

I have a 1996 chevy 2500 ext cab 8ft. 6.5 deisel with 265,000 mi. it still runs great.