Old trucks... lets see them!

This is just like the old coffee shop, which was like the old coffee shop down the street. Pull up a chair, sit down and enjoy some good discussions. Please, no political, religious or racial posts.
bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Old trucks... lets see them!

Post by bbaker »

I know a few of you guys have old trucks.. I bought myself an older project truck today. It's a 1977 GMC K35 1 ton dually. It's a 350 gas with the 4 speed behind it, and also 4 wheel drive. or is that 6 wheel drive? :) It's gonna need a lot of work and I want to find a flat bed for it, but I plan to fix this to use as a farm truck. It has a aux pto on the tranny hooked to a hydraulic pump and resivoir so I would also like to put a lift under it to make it a dump bed. I need to get my mustang put back together and then I can work on this, hopefully come spring.
Attachments
3 small.jpg
4 small.jpg
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Re: Old trucks... lets see them!

Post by BigMike »

"I want to find a flat bed for it"

BB that's what that gray box with the black cords coming out of it are for :mrgreen:
A flat bed for the old girl would be a GREAT project for you.

Now I see why you sold the 782.....for gas money to go around the block.
Cool old truck.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

BM, I don't know if the 782 is sold or not. I don't really know how to get it to the guy. You are right I could weld up my own, but I might be able to find one cheaper than I could build my own? :)
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Post by pattonacres »

Cool truck ,looks like its will make a good start. Here is one I just sold this summer.I bought it in 06 on ebay from new jersey. These pics were right after I painted it and was still putting it back together. I only put a few hundred miles a year on it and just couldn`t justify the $200. plate,$600. insurance$25. state inspection + reg maint. so I sold it and opted for a dump trailer. This was 4x4 also and I miss it already for here on the farm.
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Post by pattonacres »

new folder 490.jpg
new folder 490.jpg
Attachments
new folder 487.jpg
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Good looking old truck Rich, and I hope mine turns out half that nice. Plates here aren't that much, and insurance shouldn't be either. I want/need a good truck up at the farm so I don't tear mine up, and with it being a 2 hr trip each way the gas it takes to drive mine up and back gets expensive, so having a truck up there will actually hopefully be less expensive plus saving wear and tear on my truck.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

And most one ton's of that vinatge were 2wd. don't see too many 4x4 ones in tha body style.

Mountain Heritage
First and Last Name: Mike Patterson

Post by Mountain Heritage »

Nice trucks!

I learned how to drive a 3 in the tree on a flat bed GMC dually. It was a beast, I loved it. I think it would be cool to find one to drive around as a daily driver. Heck, I only drive like 3 miles to work each day. My poor old '95 Chevy is starting to get tired - don't get me wrong, its still kick'n and all. But the son is after me that he wants it when he gets his license in March or April, poor old girl has over 324,000km on it so it REALLY doesn't owe me anything! Original motor and body on it (except for the cab corners were fixed about 3 years ago). Not bad for buying it used with 74,000km on it in the fall of '97. Rich, I can see why your kick'n yourself. I know I would be...heck I think we should all kick ya for getting rid of it. A classic truck like that, did a great job on fix'n it up.
You just hang onto that 782 and come summer time it can take a ride into Eastern Ontario!! ;)
Now everyone wants a red Cub!

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I'd post a picture of my truck, but BB informed me that a Ranger is not a truck :lol: . With the 3" lift, top marker lights, roll bar, and brush guard it looks bigger than it is and still not like a southern swamp truck or something. It's an 86 4x4 and has picked up its share of Cubs on road trips. I'm actually considering painting it this coming summer and fixing up the body a little more. I too entertained the idea of a flatbed to avoid some body work and increase what I can haul, but they are EXPENSIVE. I've searched nonchalantly for several years.

Anyone else thinking BB will have a plow on that truck too remove his snow now? Toys progressively get bigger...
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I am going after a flat bed tomorrow. No headache rack on it, but the price is right and I can make the headache rack pretty easy! :) I doubt I will ever have a plow on a truck.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

The correct front rims are in the bed of my truck in case anyone was wondering! :)

OhioBinder
First and Last Name: David Gregg

Post by OhioBinder »

When I read the title to this thread, I was expecting "old trucks" not just barely used. :lol: :lol:
Now here is an old truck.
[img][/im[IMG]http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/34369/2322362980034800026S200x200Q85.jpg[/img]g]

It's a 1917 Tiffin Truck, been in the family for 55 years now.

Or this one
[img][[IMG]http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/6742/2658053720034800026S200x200Q85.jpg[/img]/img]
48 KB5 IHC that i've had for over 15 years.

David
Attachments
DCP_0398 (Small).JPG
DCP_0069 (Small).JPG
Last edited by OhioBinder on Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Gregg
NW oIHo

Mountain Heritage
First and Last Name: Mike Patterson

Post by Mountain Heritage »

David, those aren't old trucks....they are Classic History trucks! Nice toys you have there, don't get rid of them - they are likely more truck than the new ones would ever think of being.
Now everyone wants a red Cub!

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Bryan,
When you say the correct front rims, do you mean the Budd dually rims? It looks like it has single wheel front hubs on it now so you will need the dually front hubs to work with the dually front wheels. Looks like someone put a '79 grille in it.

I believe '77 was the first year for a 4WD 1 ton.

Should make a fun project. I'm considering an engine swap in my '79 K20. I'll post pics of it later.

Here is a good forum to check out if you haven't already found it;
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

The Green monster- my Son's 84 fenderside hibernating for the Winter.
I'm a GM guy at heart but I ain't shy about sayin that there's nothin else like a strong runnin 351 with real 4WD.
DSCN0539.JPG
It used to be the go to off roader fitted with 33's until it got converted into the tractor show pleasure palace that it is today a couple years back :lol:
DSCN0542.JPG

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

My 71 F-100
IMG00494.jpg
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

wdeturck

Post by wdeturck »

My first Cub Hauler which I don't have anymore.
My first Cub Hauler which I don't have anymore.
One of the other trucks I was involved with. This truck is still around my home town, Reading, PA
One of the other trucks I was involved with. This truck is still around my home town, Reading, PA

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

Post by MattS »

BB, If your hubs on the front of that truck are single rear wheel hubs, and they are on a Dana 60 axle, they are worth some good money. The off road/four wheeling crowd buys them up.

I know my truck isn't old, but I couldn't resist.
Attachments
B0Yud6wBmkKGrHqNi8Ew5RJC95BMGtcQ7Og_12.JPG
B0YufgCWkKGrHqNi8Ew5RJC95BMGth3WVQ_12.JPG

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I haven't had the front wheels off and at this point I would not know the difference, but I think it still has the dually front hubs as those rims are just on it to make it roll as one of the duallt rires is flat.

Dbaumanjr
First and Last Name: Darryl Bauman Jr.

Post by Dbaumanjr »

Here's a picture of my little truck:
1967 Kaiser Jeep 5/4 ton(1 1/4 ton, Vince)military cargo truck. One of 33,000 built. One of 11,000 built with the factory winch. Now has just over 31,000 original miles on the clock. Has the original 140 horsepower overhead cam six cylinder engine & 5.87:1 axle ratios(Dana 60 front & Dana 70 rear). Has a one & a quarter ton carrying capacity off road & 2 ton on road. carries 600 gallons of water like it isn't there, through knee deep mud. She ain't fast but she's mighty.
Anyone else have a convertible pickup truck(besides David Gregg & me)?
Attachments
M715-03B (2).jpg
Darryl Bauman Jr
Real tractors are yellow & white....

Dbaumanjr
First and Last Name: Darryl Bauman Jr.

Post by Dbaumanjr »

Oh, forgot to add that I put 38.5" tall tires on it (no lift) because the fender openings just looked too big.
Darryl Bauman Jr
Real tractors are yellow & white....

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

Does size matter?

Official Member SCCG

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Bryan,
If it had the dually hubs with those wheels, the wheels would be sticking way out past the front fenders.

Colin,
How about a bigger version of that one;
IMG_4156.JPG
RPRU 09 001.JPG

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Todd, really????? Grr...... where am I gonna get the correct hubs then? That there just makes me wanna scrap the whole thing. I don't like already worked on changed stuff.

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

BB -I think the front axles in those old K series trucks are basically the same SRW or DRW. Should be a simple task to make it "correct". There are lots of parts floating around for that vintage of Chevys. It will make a nice truck when its done.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Next question is a freind of mine has an 87 GMC with a 454 Big block. I don't know much else about the truck at this point other than he wants 300 bucks for it, and it's suppossed to run good. Are the small block and Big block bell housings the same? As in, can I take the 454 and simply bolt it into my truck with my transmission? :) I am hoping his cab is good too, as my cab is pretty rusty on the bottom.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Bryan , I'm not an expert , although I've owned my share of GM's . Their engine /transmissions pretty much interchange with each other whether there a 6 banger , small or big block . Now some of their transmissions did have a long or short tailshaft , and if you were changing that , then you might have a driveshaft length issue .
I'm sure someone else will chime in with more info.
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I got a lot to learn... :) I am so intrigued by this big block idea.....

Kcrain
First and Last Name: Keith Crain

Post by Kcrain »

Hey BB
All chevy v8 bellhousing bolt patterns are the same. Buick, olds, and Pontiac have their own bolt pattern. Have a Merry Christmas everyone out there in cub land.