How about?

This is a Suggestion Box of sorts. We need your input to make this the best Cub Cadet site on the net!
Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

How about?

Post by Scott C. »

Since this forum is not like the old discus style we had before, we can create specific topics that you all can run with.
Examples are:
Paint
Tools
Engine repair and rebuild
Custom work
Name it folks, we'll look at it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Jerry H
First and Last Name: Jerry Hillegass

Re: How about?

Post by Jerry H »

How about a running thread on Electrical problems--coils, starters, charging, switches, wiring.........Its always a problem being discussed.

Oh btw.......glad we're back on line. Thanks guys.
Retired and lovin' it......

Tmo
First and Last Name: Terry Reed

Post by Tmo »

I moderate the Red Square Wheel Horse site and I can tell you, having more topics leads to confusion. You will find that the moderators will be more busier moving posts and threads to the proper topics. Some sections will be very sparsely populated and if they're down on the page, some people won't see them nor take the time to go there. And then you will always have members who want their thread to be seen, so they will go ahead and post in the main section anyways.

What I think would be good is to have the Shooting the Breeze main section to be just like the old site where there are no threads, just one continuous thread like the old site. Then have another section where you can have topics broken down, i.e. Repair and Restoration section, with Topics under that section for Engine, one for Transmission and Drive Train, etc. with those topics allowing individual threads so a question doesn't get lost like it would on the old site. Something along the lines of wfm which has a main section for general posting and a Repair and Restoration section with different topics and having individual threads under each topic.

blawhorn
First and Last Name: Bob Lawhorn

Post by blawhorn »

I like the idea of Shooting the Breeze being one large group instead of broke down.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I too liked the single large thread for Shooting the Breeze. With these new style forums, it' so much more clicking and trying to keep things straight. Then when people reply and a thread moves back to the top of new threads, it takes a little time to figure out what I've read and getting through everything. It's just so much clicking and sifting through it all.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

jrarick
First and Last Name: Jim Rarick

Post by jrarick »

for me the single large threads of the old forum were much easier to keep up with the new posts.. I am having problems trying to get through them all now. However it is sure great to have the forum back!

klorenz
First and Last Name: Kirk Lorenz

Post by klorenz »

I too would like to see at least the shooting the breeze section in one large thread. In fact, having each of the topics in their own large thread would be fine by me!! Glad the forum is back, but I do miss the old setup. Too much going back and forth, back and forth now.

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Folks,

Over the years this is the huge debate... 50% liked the huge thread and 50% liked it this way... truth be told just about all other forums are like this one. There are benefits both ways.... The old discuss software was limited in that fashion and the problem was if someone asked a question... in less then a day it was 3 pages back and the question has been forgotten....
This does show you which threads are read and which ones you havent.... and a post will jump the thread to the top. I honestly think this way is better and people will get used to it. I dont think we can and will ever go back. the old discuss software hasnt been supported in many years and hasnt seen any updates. Before the crash we were looking at several different replacements. i just thank god we got something running!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

It doesn't look 50/50 judging by this thread... :?
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Tmo
First and Last Name: Terry Reed

Post by Tmo »

Dave C wrote: ... and the problem was if someone asked a question... in less then a day it was 3 pages back and the question has been forgotten....
That's the reason I said to have a section for Repairs and Restoration, etc. that would have the individual thread format so that the questions can be seen and answered. But, the main Shooting the Breeze section would be just one continuous thread so that it can be easier to read, and since it's for Shooting the Breeze, having individual threads isn't necessary and hard to follow.

Right now I don't even read the Shooting the Breeze section in it's current format - it's just too many threads to follow.

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

yes we do have to thank God for at least getting us back on line.
But the Moderators ,Administrators, and those from outside that helped them too deserve a bit of credit too.

I'm on the other 50% that liked, and will miss the old style of formatting.
This seems to be harder to navigate, some won't even bother to look at many topics because of this system.
I'm retired and if i was to read all posts the way they are , I'd never have time for anything else. so I know the ones that do work will not be as active.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I just hit the view new posts button and read what shows up.....to me pretty simple.

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Scott C. wrote:Since this forum is not like the old discus style we had before, we can create specific topics that you all can run with.
Examples are:
Paint
Tools
Engine repair and rebuild
Custom work
Name it folks, we'll look at it.
If you did it that way it sounds like it would work as the old, more desirable style.
As far as the engine repair and rebuild , Has any one saved the manuals we had ? to put into a locked mode,
But still keep your example for the blog .

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

Jim,
We have saved info and an amazing amount of folks who will help.
We'll be OK in the manual and documents department.

jglass
First and Last Name: John K. Glass

Post by jglass »

I'm with big mike. just put your pointer on the subjects, and it will tell you if there is any new posts or not It will take time, but we all adjust with it. My daughter gave this computer to me,I didn't know how to turn it on, but I learned. jglass :D

Willy
First and Last Name: Ray Williams

Post by Willy »

An even easier way is to look at the icon to the left of the section or post name. If there are new posts the icon will be RED. At least that's how I tell there are new posts...

-Ray

jglass wrote:I'm with big mike. just put your pointer on the subjects, and it will tell you if there is any new posts or not It will take time, but we all adjust with it. My daughter gave this computer to me,I didn't know how to turn it on, but I learned. jglass :D

jglass
First and Last Name: John K. Glass

Post by jglass »

Your'e right Ray. It takes a lot of different views. Like I said, This thing sat for 6months, before I learned how to turn it on. Thanks for the way. John Glass

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

see we got CCC and Mtd after IH sellout
how about IH made before sellout.

the new IH section is for other trucks and stuff

Rick G
First and Last Name: Rick Goodwin

Post by Rick G »

A picture Gallery, sometimes a person may forget which thread he/she may have seen a tractor or piece of equipment in and a gallery could hold a lot. I myself know I would like to have a gallery where I could just go and look at a things.
Rick

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I have found the "view new posts" button to be very useful for me. That way I can look at just the threads that may interest me.

I liked the old system and was used to it but it did have its drawbacks. Before you had to read every post to see if there was something that interested you. Sometimes someone would answer a question that was asked 3 pages back and if you forgot the question you had to go back and sift through all the pages to find the original question. Now you can read the whole discussion without all the hunting.

Everyone tends to resist change. But I think in the long run once everyone gets used to this new setup it will be better. For me it seems to take a lot less time to keep up with the new posts. It is also a lot easier to find the topics that I can help with or need help on.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

Todd,
I agree and I resist change with the best of them.

We are looking at changes we can make to improve the site. We will keep these threads for quite some time so we can refer to them.
We have made a lot of changes as it is, some you see, some you can't.

One thing we do not want to do is make a bunch of changes at once, no one will be able to tell what works or what does not. The site could end up being crowded, wrong, hard to use or just a place folks do not like because we went berserk. Moderation is the key.
We don't charge in...... That would be like following the Mayor through the woods on a cub, bad move, lessons learned there :roll:

We still need to get set up for documents and stuff.

We plan on being here for a while!

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

This isn't so much a suggestion , but is more of an acommidation to your making members have to put a proper name in their profile for registration.
I don't mind guys using goofy or Ih references in their usernames , but I like to know who's posting as I don't always recongize the username .
I know their are members from across the street that join just to spy on other sites , and they still can using fictious names , but at least this is a start .
The only other thing is I'd also make it manditory to have them give a location . ( state and town)
The sites looking good , keep up the good work .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Jess,
That is why we did it. Since many of us have met in person at plow days and Red Power Roundups we are probably a closer knit community than many annonymous web forums. It wasn't at all to invade member's privacy. Since many people like to use usernames that are totally unrelated to their real names you may not know who you are talking to here even if it is someone you have met in person. After everyone has been here a while we will be able to easily match names with screen names.

As an example, on the Red Power forum (where everyone uses screen names) I have discussed things with folks that I already knew from other forums (or had even met in person) without knowing they were someone I already knew. Somtimes you say things differently or give different answers to strangers than you do to people you know. If it is someone you already know, you can probably give more useful answers based on what you already know about them.

Bottom line is that it makes this bunch more like a family than an annonymous web forum.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

OK,
I found it in the admin section.
Real name and location from your profile are now listed with your post.

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

I'd like to see a thread titled "look what followed me home" and people can just add to that. Or, we could just continue to add to the few that have already been started? I was also thinking maybe a section like "What you did with your cubs today" or something of that sort. I like seeing people post progress pics or just pics of them doing to stuff with their cubs. It would help prevent starting new threads just for the purpose of showing a progress pic etc...
Adrian

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Is there anyway to have the Icons on the left go to black as you read the topics ?
they only change if I refresh the page.
wondering how hard it may be to have an automatic refreash as you return to the list?

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

J Hayes
If you go back to the index page when you are through reading post's, in the top right corner (in the yellow part) you will see "Mark topics read". Click on it and all the icons on the right will change to black and it will then tell you that the post have been marked, and the next time you visit the site the icons in red will indicate there is a new post in that thread.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

mykids32
First and Last Name: Aric Schneider

Post by mykids32 »

The things I missed, was on the old site, you could look in the pictures and there were diagrams of how to build sleeve hitched and lot of other things, with drawings and dimensions. I believe there were even sets of plans on how to build an Earthcavator and other things on there too. Those would be nice to get back if possible.

Aric

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

Aric,
We're working on it. We can't upload PDF to the gallery but Geezer and I found some freeware that lets us convert PDF to jpg files we can put in the gallery.
We'll get there.
Have you poked around in what we have already?
http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/manuals/main.php

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Scott, Did you see my message? I also told Geezer about it. There is a way to enable .pdf files on the forum. My question was if it's a question of storage room, upload limits or something that I don't know about?

From what I read it is a setting that would allow a .pdf to be uploaded to the site as an attachment. Then you can download the .pdf and view it on your own machine. There is no viewing on the forum though. Just a link to the file.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 45&start=0
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1162625
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1491615
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."