For Sale posts and craigslist links

This is a Suggestion Box of sorts. We need your input to make this the best Cub Cadet site on the net!
VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

For Sale posts and craigslist links

Post by VScott »

First a comment, then a question.

If it would be possible, I would like to see a minimum post amount before a for sale ad is allowed to be placed. We have a lot of people who join to post their classified ads, and we never hear from them again. Also, as a poster, and contributor to the forum, I feel that you earn a reputation among forum members that new members have not earned.

And a question, why are craigslist and ebay links not allowed in the classified ads?

Thanks,
Vinny

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: For Sale posts and craigslist links

Post by Tom Scott »

Vinny - These are surely deep thoughts that would be better discussed over a case of beer... Lacking that, I guess I have to type.

I too sometimes feel slighted by the guy that only signed up to sell some stuff. I have thought about it before, and tried to see both sides of it, the pros and the cons.

Issue 1) New guy selling his stuff, first post...

Pros: We may want to buy his stuff. That's good if one of us needs it.
Can't think of any other pro...

Cons: He just made Geezer take the time to sign him up so he can make some money from our forum.
He just used up a username that no one else can ever use. Hope he didn't think of a cool one...
He made me reconsider yet again if we should have a waiting period before selling his crap. Why do I feel this way? Guess I just feel we've been used.

So, other than maybe one of us wants to buy this guy's stuff, I don't see good from allowing this. I would be willing to vote for some type of combination of post count and time period before a new member can sell. If he just starts posting garbage to get to the point he is allowed to sell, we could kick him to the curb.

Issue 2) Longtime solid member wants to post link to CL and ebay ads.

Pros: I get to see my longtime solid member buddy's stuff on CL and ebay.

Cons: Solid member gets lazy and just posts link to CL and ebay rather than post a decent for sale ad here.

Issue 2 as we have it now) Immediate members will really come in droves just to post ads if we allow them to post links.

I would be ok with longtime solid member (LSM) posting the links as long as he still places a good ad on our board. If our for sale board just becomes a link-fest, than that's no good.

Finally...my opinion doesn't carry any more weight as a mod, nor does my opinion change the rules. Just voicing my opinion here. I would like to see our other members reply, maybe more than a few points I haven't thought of. If there is strong sentiment for a change then perhaps we can.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

My opinion , not that anyone cares , but here it is anyway . :lol:
I've belonged to other GT groups that have had a minimum post limit ( usually around 10 posts ) before a new member can post items in the selling section.
I like Tom have seen members join just to sell an item , never to be heard from again after that post , and I also felt used .
A minimum post limit would weed out those people , and truthfully other than the item they are selling they have nothing to contribute to the group .
We have ebay and vendors for that stuff anyway .
I'm in favor of a minimum post limit .

As for Ebay and CL I have on rare occasions posted a link to ebay or CL on a really great deal THAT I'M NOT SELLING , and I'm not interested in or is to far away from me , in the hope someone on here gets that great deal . I usually put in Coffee shop . I have posted stuff in the selling section that I also have on CL , but I always post it on here first and if there is no interest in a couple of days , then I'll put it on CL , but I have never posted my CL link in our selling section .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Hi ladies...... U gals should all get together for some needle point and hash this out! :lol: I think a post count is a good idea , really just for geezers sake. Years ago I felt so cheap and used when I saw this happening..... Now I've lost all feelings :( Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Dave,
Hold my purse while I type this.

Just to clarify, I was talking about OTHER PEOPLE'S links, not my own.

Gotta get back to my scrapbooking, and I have a souffle in the oven.

On a side note, I did try to get in touch with my feminine side once, and I got a yeast infection. :?

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I don't worry much about ads but do like the idea of the post count prior to it being allowed. That or maybe a different for sale page where the person uses a captcha or similar to be allowed to post if they are a one and done. Plus have a form they fill out with relevant info like item for sale, price, location, contact info and such.

As for CL and fleabay. No real issues, some folks find deals but don't have the funds at the moment.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

PTWannaHave
First and Last Name: Ben Michaud

Post by PTWannaHave »

Tom Scott wrote:Vinny - These are surely deep thoughts that would be better discussed over a case of beer... Lacking that, I guess I have to type.
[snip]
Finally...my opinion doesn't carry any more weight as a mod, nor does my opinion change the rules. Just voicing my opinion here. I would like to see our other members reply, maybe more than a few points I haven't thought of. If there is strong sentiment for a change then perhaps we can.
Excellent thoughts, Tom...

If a minimum amount of posting is required before placing an ad, it has to be made very clear/obvious to a potential new 'member' so that Geezer's time is not wasted created accounts that won't get used at all because the new user/member did not read the fine print carefully enough...

Hopes this helps,
PTWannaHave

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

I have to agree with the post limit prior to placing ads. Hopefully this would encourage new members to get actively involved in our site. It's been great seeing so many posts recently as people are getting on here more. I try to get on and post when I can, but sometimes just don't always get the chance. Not to mention, it's hard to do from a smart phone!

As far as CL and Ebay link, why not under the Coffee Shop area have a thread just for those types of links? As Jess suggested, sometimes there's a good deal to pass on that one of our members might be able to take advantage of. At least this way it wouldn't be clogging up the For Sale board with a bunch of links.