Registry for serial numbers and homepage picture

This is a Suggestion Box of sorts. We need your input to make this the best Cub Cadet site on the net!
ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Registry for serial numbers and homepage picture

Post by ksanders »

Just a few things on my mind here. The old Registry had a homepage picture of people plowing. Is that possible to do here or even desired? Something maybe to the right of "Cub Cadet Collectors" up top? I was thinking that would set the site apart from the hundreds of other forums set up identical to this. Also, will there be an actual "registry" for serial numbers like before? Neither one really matters to me... just curious.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Re: Registry for serial numbers and homepage picture

Post by Scott C. »

We need to get a logo at the top of the page but I have nothing on this puter and I'm on vacation so playing around with that will probably wait with everything else we are doing.
But customizing this to make it ours will happen.
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

rlowe
First and Last Name: Ralph Lowe

Post by rlowe »

I'd like to see a serial number registry, much the same as the old site... It should at least be "sortable" by serial number and owners name.
Thanks...
Ralph
http://rlowe3.com

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

I would like to get all the old registry info someday. But....

rlowe

Post by rlowe »

Scott C. wrote:I would like to get all the old registry info someday. But....
That would be great, but in lieu of that... What about creating another tab on the profile for Cubs Owned with formatted columns like Model, Serial, Owner, Location and Stock/Modified... These values could be captured to create a searchable Registry, much more easily than the current freeform "Cubs Owned" in the User Profile....

• Model...............Serial............Owner.........................Location........................Stock/Modified
  • 100.................000001...........John Doe......................Anywhere, USA..................Stock
  • 70..................010000...........Jane Doe......................Nowhere, USA....................Modified
Thanks...
Ralph

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

Ralph,
Good idea.
Ma sez we gotta go but I played around a little and let's see what you guys think.
Look in your profile field and you will see a drop down option to pick a model then below that a place to enter the serial number and radio buttons to say whether it's a runner or not.
I have to figure out how to copy those fields later but it's a start. Maybe, just maybe, I can make it searchable or even develop a spreadsheet from the info.
Later.....

rlowe

Post by rlowe »

Scott C. wrote:
Ralph,
Good idea.
Ma sez we gotta go but I played around a little and let's see what you guys think.
Look in your profile field and you will see a drop down option to pick a model then below that a place to enter the serial number and radio buttons to say whether it's a runner or not.
I have to figure out how to copy those fields later but it's a start. Maybe, just maybe, I can make it searchable or even develop a spreadsheet from the info.
Later.....
Hi Scott...

Nice... I added my three... I like the "runner or not" field... Let me know if you want any help testing...
Thanks alot...
Ralph
Thanks...
Ralph

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

ahhhh thats not really gonna work like yall think it will..... if you only have one then its ok but anymore and.... Prob gonna have to look for a mod to do that.... or a separate program to get the info and the inport it back into the profile.... that might be tricky. Ill ask my boss he could prob write a quick program to collect the data and then show it back... maybe a link in each profile and a master link on the forum.... hmmmmm brains workin overtime now!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

Scott C.

Post by Scott C. »

Dave,
That would be cool. Thanks for burning the brain cells for us.

rlowe

Post by rlowe »

Scott C. wrote:Dave,
That would be cool. Thanks for burning the brain cells for us.
Scott..

What was being populated when I added my three entries? Having one entry field doesn't preclude multiple entries, as long as the entries add a row to a table or append to a document and don't overlay the previous entry. I realize it was a work in progress, so I assumed later you would allow deletions, updates and displays. I'm not sure what tools are available with this bulletin board application. My expertise is in large scale databases and if there is a database backend this should be relatively straightforward.. I see minimally two tables, one containing the users each with a unique key and another table containing a row for each Cub (also with unique keys)... The user table would be modified when users register on the board. At that time their unique key would be assigned. Your frontend would write to the Cub table and when displaying individual profiles would read from a join of the two tables to display the correct Cubs...
Thanks...
Ralph

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

Ralph,

Nothing was being populated when adding those entrys..... you simply changed your profile 3 times thats all....I looked for some sorta mod that would do something like this but came up with nothing....ill keep looking into it. im gonna have a week in aspen and plenty of time on a computer!

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

Just an idea here, don't know what the majority would think about it. When you do come up with something, why not have one continuous list organized by the serial numbers (lowest to highest) with just a separate column for the model number beside it. As opposed to a separate link for each model like before. Then it's easy to see how many Cubs are registered in total. Don't know how well that's percieved; just thinking out loud.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

Yea i wasnt super happy with the old setup either.... it would be nice to be able to orgainize it which ever way the user wants to look at it..... i gotta find a peice of software to get that job done im sure there is something out there without having to write something.....