winter project 2086

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
JoeK
First and Last Name: Joey Koenen

winter project 2086

Post by JoeK »

Alright its getting close to winter and i hope i mowed for the last time, im thinking about bringing my cub to work on this winter to do some fixin on some things, first and foremost my mower has 762 hours on it, when should i change my cam gear. i had this engine apart maybe 2 years ago when a fellow co worker had it, it needed a water pump gasket, and had i know about the cam gear then i would of made and effort to look at it.

and secondly my front axle is loose on the pivot, king pin, i thought about adding some thin washers to shim it up what are you thought on this. while on this note is there a way to make my mower turn sharper? i really dont have a big enough yard for my beast and i got 5 rather large trees that i have to back up about 4 times to get around. my dad says i spend more time backing up then going forward. all in all what used to take an hour to push mow i knocked down to 15 20 min with my cub.. 8-)
1772 - my new toy
2086- main mower at home
Super LT 1554- has it easy mowing the lake lot

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: winter project 2086

Post by Tom Scott »

Joey - I did a little research on that Kawasaki motor when I was looking for my most recent Super. The info I found said that when the cam gear goes it doesn't destroy anything else. You might want to check on your own, this is just hearsay from me. I watched a YouTube vid on changing it and the problem is that it involves a complete motor tear-down. So, you could justify one of two paths, depending on your tolerance for pain: 1) Change it before it blows, that way you can schedule the down time, or... 2) Run to failure (RTF) and maybe get several hundred more hours out of it. If you go for door number two, it will be unpleasant without a back-up machine. This could be good, if you are looking for an excuse to add a tractor to your garage. A second tractor does allow you to take your time to do things right on unscheduled breakdowns.

Axle pivot, I assume you mean in the center where it attaches to the frame. Jack it up by the frame and figure out what is loose; could be the bolt is worn (less likely), or the axle bore, or the frame. Also, there is frame adjusting screws on the left and the right sides of the tractor to take out any normal slop. (The bolt heads of these screws bear on the axles front face to stop fore and aft movement. Spray this face with lithium grease spray during maintenance.)

Sharper steering isn't going to happen. I have a larger yard, but still use the push mower to trim around all the obstructions and house first. Keeps me from being tempted to get too close to things with the tractor and deck. Maybe experiment with a different mowing pattern as well if your yard suits it. If not already modified, easy to make the machine mow in reverse so the pto doesn't drop out every time you back up.

The electrical gremlins in your sig line are probably bad connections. Methodically go through each one, clean them up, make sure the terminals are tight, and use a dab of dielectric grease on every connection you touch. The grease will ensure that they never corrode again. I have found a notorious bad connection is at the base of the tower where the tower harness plugs into the frame harness with a multi-pin connector. The pins are so small, pretty much impossible to mechanically clean the female connectors. You might get by with separating, spray with electrical cleaner, smear female half with dielectric grease, reassemble. I have replaced that plug in the past with individual insulated spade connectors. You may need to remove the radiator if that connector is your problem, and they don't leave much extra wire there.

Keep coming back. The manual is in our document section, but don't be shy about asking. The manual is a good reference, but it still pays to discuss it with those that have already suffered through it.

:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: winter project 2086

Post by SWilliams »

There are a few weak spots in the cyclops wiring. The multi-pin connector and the ignition switch being the big ones.
Attached is the complete wiring diagram. Might help.
2086.pdf
(3.39 MiB) Downloaded 165 times
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."