Ideas on cyclop side panels

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
duke
First and Last Name: john carolan

Ideas on cyclop side panels

Post by duke »

I picked up a 2284 earlier this month.I got all new fluids filters and all that done.I also put all new decals on it.All the plastic is in pretty good shape except the nipples on the side panels.I have been thinking of ways i can keep them tight towards the front.I have had a couple ideas.1st JB weld a bolt with the head cut off into the hole of the broken nipple then use a wing nut.2nd idea drill a small hole in each side panel and use a spring like on the 82's.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Re: Ideas on cyclop side panels

Post by Jlaws »

John , I had the same issue of worn out front pins on my Cyclops . I used the hole and spring method that your thinking about on it .
The 82 series panel spring is at the very front but the Cyclops spring holes have to be back about 6 inches from the front of the panel to clear the hood hinges . Also my panels started to bow (warp) at the top a bit with the engine heat and spring tension . Might have been OK if my spring tension was a bit less .
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I think the stud in the hole is a better idea. Rather than gluing it in permanent, JB weld can be drilled and tapped. I would much rather have something that is replaceable than permanently glued in. If you drill it off center or mess up you can simply fill with more JB weld and try again.

After installing the stud, slide a piece of rubber hose over it to fill the larger hole that is in the grill. The rubber hose will keep the stud from grinding against the plastic hole in the grill.

Oatey (and others) make epoxy putty that you could do the same with.

I did something similar on a hood. The factory Cub stud that holds the hinge to the hood is simply not long enough and stresses the end of the hood pylon. The existing plastic pylon on the inside of the hood is much longer so I tapped it full depth and screwed in a stud with a nut over it to replicate the factory stud with a nut in the middle.

By definition, plastic will deform with constant spring tension and heat, as Jess described.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

duke

Post by duke »

Thank you
I really like the drill and tap.What size bolt should i use?
Thanks again great idea that i would have never thought of :beer:

----------------------
Cub Cadet GT 3235
Cub Cadet SGT 2284
Cub Cadet SGT 1884 (has all new plastic)
Cub Cadet SGT 1872
Cub Cadet 2165

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Just the model # of this tractor makes it sound Beastly.....2284! John any chance this one will get the "Weld Pro Star" rim treatment? 8-) Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

duke

Post by duke »

dag1450 wrote:Just the model # of this tractor makes it sound Beastly.....2284! John any chance this one will get the "Weld Pro Star" rim treatment? 8-) Dave
No it will get some ih cast iron wheel weights.Maybe a cat0? someday

duke

Post by duke »

Tom Scott wrote: After installing the stud, slide a piece of rubber hose over it to fill the larger hole that is in the grill. The rubber hose will keep the stud from grinding against the plastic hole in the grill.
By definition, plastic will deform with constant spring tension and heat, as Jess described.
One more question.So if i tighten it down with a wing not this will not deform the plastic? Or should i have the hose a little longer and tighten it to the hose so it has a little play?
Thank You

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I did something a bit different. I drilled a small hole across the two tabs, then glued a pin through it. Next I grabbed a couple springs and used them to hold the sides on.
On my other one I simply used some ABS pipe cement and ground ABS to build up the worn areas on the pins. Then stuck a small chunk of rubber into the split area. Those hold tight as well.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

duke

Post by duke »

SWilliams wrote: On my other one I simply used some ABS pipe cement and ground ABS to build up the worn areas on the pins. Then stuck a small chunk of rubber into the split area. Those hold tight as well.
That sounds like a good idea.

I jb welded one of the side panels today.I see i didn't have the correct size tap for the bolt i want to use.But i will.I also have a extra set of plastic from my 1882 hood,grill and side panels.When i got that guy i bought all new plastic.I dug it out today and after reading this post i think i can make it all good again :?:

Thanks again for all the help to all

-------------------------------------------------
Cub Cadet GT 3235
Cub Cadet SGT 2284
Cub Cadet SGT 1882 with cat 0
Cub Cadet SGT 1872
Cub Cadet 2165

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

I've yet to do this repair, so I can only give suggestions.

Remember, on a Cyclops the hood traps the side panel once closed. The pins do not need a great deal of holding force, just enough that they don't pop out when the hood is opened.

I do have one that needs fixing and I am thinking probably a 1/4"-20 stud with fuel hose slid over to fill the hole. Cut the hose slightly long so when you tighten a wing nut (with washer underneath) it will squash the hose a little and expand it like a rubber expansion plug in the hole.

To me the main purpose the pins provide is to provide support to the grill. The grill is the heart of the front end, and anything you can do to keep it from moving around will help keep it from cracking. When I install Cyclops side panels I pull them back gently towards the back of the tractor before tightening the wing nut at the pedestal. This removes any slop and helps keep the grill from vibrating.
<><

duke

Post by duke »

I got the side panel taped and did the hose washer wing nut plan.It worked great.I only did the top one.should i do the bottom too.It looks like it will be hard to take on and off if i do so?I also noticed that the grill was cracked at the base on one side so i ordered a new grill today.
I tried to post some picture of this but could not do so.I was able to start a gallery but not post here?not sure what i did wrong.Anyways Thanks :beer:

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Duke - Remember, I haven't actually ever done this to side panels, I just shot out an idea, you made it happen!

For the bottom one, see if a hex nut and washer for the thread size will fit through the grill hole. If it will, you can use the nut to tension the hose just enough for a slight pressure fit of the hose passing through the grill hole. And I do mean slight, as the grill is the most sensitive and important part of the front end. Leave the nut in place, and double nut it to keep it from moving (tighten one nut against the other). I recommend this over a lock-nut as the lock nut would probably just back the stud out if loosening were attempted.

The side panel already has a hook over the frame at the bottom, so just a slight additional pressure fit of the lower pin should be enough.

If the nut is too large to fit through the hole, perhaps an allen (socket head) bolt threaded in the hole, but depends if it will stay tight without a locking mechanism. Threads in plastic/epoxy may be grippy enough that it will be fine.

Duke picture test...
Duke's 1882 with backblade.jpg
Duke's 1882 with backblade.jpg (196.37 KiB) Viewed 7679 times
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Duke - Your pics are not too large. Our site will accept very large pics when you need the detail.

I saved one of your pics from your gallery and added a .jpg extension. When posting, use the box below where you are typing, you will see "Upload attachment".

Choose the pic with the jpg extension. Then, click "Add the file(s)" to the right in the grey box.

Then... place your cursor where you want the pic to land.

Click "Place inline". Generally best to leave a space between last line of text and pic:
Duke's 1872 with Haban blade.jpg
Duke's 1872 with Haban blade.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 7679 times
Can continue typing and add any other pictures as you go...
Duke's 1882 being chased by giant lawn roller.jpg
Duke's 1882 being chased by giant lawn roller.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 7679 times
:beer:
<><

duke

Post by duke »

1872http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/forum/downlo ... 5fec5034ef
Thank you with all your help!
Thank you with all your help!
0319121443.jpg (149.87 KiB) Viewed 7657 times

duke

Post by duke »

Thanks Tom for all your help and ideas.Also thanks to everyone with ideas :beer:

Im going to do the idea as stated on the lower part of the side panels

Little note on the 1872 & 1882 in above pictures.I repainted both with a hvlp gun.Like i said the 1882 has new plastic.The rear blade on the 1882 is now yellow and 20" wider and 3" taller.The 1882 also has a set of carlisle ags on it.Also i no longer use the plastic wheel weights.Only Cast iron.
Thanks Again

duke

Post by duke »

Still working on side panels and waiting for the JB weld to cure and also waiting for the new grill.
So i turned my attention towards the old plastic that came off the 1882.The hood is broken at one of the front hinge mounts.The hood was also badly stained.I tried to get it off and failed.So i lightly sanded primed and painted.It turned out real nice.I was wondering how will this hold up?I may use this over the hood that came with the 2284?
Thanks

duke

Post by duke »

some pictures of the side panels and hood.not sure what hood i will use yet.also the bolts in the hood are not what im using just wanted to show thy are taped.
0118152016.jpg
0118152016.jpg (71.8 KiB) Viewed 7611 times
0130150936.jpg
0130150936.jpg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 7611 times
0209151047.jpg
0209151047.jpg (54.11 KiB) Viewed 7611 times
0209151050.jpg
0209151050.jpg (81.27 KiB) Viewed 7611 times

duke

Post by duke »

Here is a newer picture of the blade that i made bigger
0418141844a.jpg
0418141844a.jpg (117.78 KiB) Viewed 7611 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Man that looks fun....grading out some driveway stone w the cub ! :beer:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.