Bunch O' GT3235 Stuff

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
PaulArthur
First and Last Name: Paul A. Freiburger

Bunch O' GT3235 Stuff

Post by PaulArthur »

Here is the first bunch of GT3235 mods that I have done:

Uncoupling the Brake & Diff-Lock - I believe that linking the brake & diff-lock together serves to wear the diff-lock parts out more quickly. The CI transaxle 3100 series tractors weigh almost the same; have no diff-lock and their (exact same size) brake works just fine. The diff-lock pedal rotates around a shaft threaded on the end of the brake shaft; a bracket is located between the two and a tang on that bracket contacts the pedal to engage the diff-lock when the brake is applied. I just ground off the welds that attach the tang, painted the bracket and re-assembled.

Dipstick Oil Fill - I like the thread-on cap that Kohler uses on some of the later Command engines. I installed one of these on the GT2550; it made checking the oil much easier and does not leak. As I had the closure plate off to reseal, it was the perfect opportunity to install one again, as for this engine I had to bore out the dipstick hole to install the kit.

Quick Oil Drain – The stock Kohler uses is a pretty crappy lash up (often installed loose) that has leaked on every Command that I have owned. I removed it on the GT2550 and installed a ball valve set up in its place four years ago – and have not had a drop of oil leak since. So when I had the front cover off the GT3235 to cure an oil leak, I installed the same parts on it before the oil cooler went back on. Unless you want to lift the engine, the existing pipe needs to be hack-sawed off. Next a 3/8” barb fitting replaces the old pipe fitting, and connects via a 3/8” hose (Gates oil-resistant) to a 90⁰ elbow. The elbow mounts to an “L” bracket attached to the frame using the bolts for the hydraulic coupling bracket. An all metal ball valve is screwed into the elbow (Permatex #2 on the joints), with a rubber cap on the end to keep dirt out. Tidy and out of the way behind the frame rail, when it’s time for an oil change you just slide a pan underneath and turn the handle.

Image Image Image

Sen Dec Tachometer - I added the same tachometer as I have been using on the GT2550. The Sen Dec tachometer has been reliable in that installation, so I got another one for this tractor. On the GT2550 a curb setting of 3660-3690 RPM gives about 3600 RPM under load and I will use the same setting on the GT3235.

VDO Oil Temperature Gauge - This gauge uses a bulb type sender, plumbed into the unused right side sump drain plug hole, using an adapter between the sump and the bulb. The case side is a pipe fitting and a nut behind the bulb seals it to the adapter. I found a nice area in the center of the dash just below the hour meter with nothing underneath (almost - the column adjuster rack needed to be notched) to mount the 2” gauge. It is a mechanical gauge so the braided line to the bulb must be carefully routed, and it is illuminated with power from the light circuit. This gauge has a nicely graduated, almost 360⁰ sweep face that will be interesting to watch when the summer temps climb.

Image Image Image

I will post more when I get the time.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Bunch O' GT3235 Stuff

Post by dag1450 »

Cool upgrades Paul! That should make using the tractor much more fun! I mean.... who doesn't like monitoring gauges while driving??? ok....women :lol: Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Nice mods, and I agree 100% on the brake lever.

That tractor sure is clean!
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

PaulArthur

Post by PaulArthur »

Yes, I bought it with 189 hours, so it’s pretty clean. However, it must have been stored where critters had access, as I had to remove all of the engine shrouding to clean out piles of bedding brought in by mice. The fins around the heads and cylinders were just packed. You never know what surprise a used machine has in store.

How is the GT3200 now that you have looked it over – everything good?

jspicer
First and Last Name: Josh Spicer

Post by jspicer »

Paul,
Nice job on the upgrades! That is a nice machine. After following Bryan's thread and seeing more of these 3000 series cubs, I might wanna try to find one eventually. Thanks for sharing. :beer:
Cubs in the den: 882 Diesel, 1512 Diesel, 1772 SGT Diesel..............I've got a smokin' problem

PaulArthur

Post by PaulArthur »

Thanks Josh. The 3000’s really are great tractors that were popular enough that a wide selection is available. If you want a blower (or a blade), there a quite a few for sale that include one, and they are usually at a pretty good price. Some attachments you would need to search for or piece together, but parts supply seems to be pretty good. Are you thinking about a fixer-upper or a good to go tractor?

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Paul, I honestly haven't done much of anything with it other than take the tire chains off and back it in the garage. I'm going to remove the snow blower and probably take it up to the farm sometime.

I'll decide what I am actually going to do with it soon. I am going to have to mow the yard though, but I think I can call my 3165 back to mowing duty until I can get it sold.

Josh, the 3K tractors are pretty nice machines. Like all Cubs they have some issues that could of been better and need addressed, but with proper care they should last a really long time.
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

jspicer
First and Last Name: Josh Spicer

Post by jspicer »

Paul,
I dunno what I want to mess with. I don't mind doing some wrenching, but if a person ever found one as nice as yours, you almost couldn't pass it up. I think I'd do some more research before deciding what direction to go in.

Bryan,
Thanks for the info. Really enjoying following your thread, too.
Cubs in the den: 882 Diesel, 1512 Diesel, 1772 SGT Diesel..............I've got a smokin' problem