1641 PTO issue

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Batt4Christ
First and Last Name: Michael Battenfield

1641 PTO issue

Post by Batt4Christ »

My recently acquired Cub 1641 has already been a bit of an adventure...including getting the blades off the 48" deck just to sharpen them and pulling the starter because the gear was gone (replaced the whole starter).

Anyway...

Soon after I replaced the starter, I noticed the charge light on when the PTO was engaged. Charge checked on battery has been fine, even after mowing a long time.

No actual function problem, other than the occasional PTO turning off after going over a significant bump.

This eveing, I was running late mowing and sun got a bit low, so I turned the key back one click to run w/headlights. Mower continued to function as usual until I hit a bit of a bump. PTO disengaged. So I flip switch up to restart the PTO, and it engages until I turn lose of the switch, at which time, the PTO disengages. As I had less than 5 minutes of mowing left, I just held the switch in the up position long enough to finish up. Sure enough, as soon as Imturn lose, it disengages.

So... I realize there are several possible reasons for this.. Is there an established procedure to troubleshoot? Or maybe a likely front-runner cause?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: 1641 PTO issue

Post by dag1450 »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4760 Here is a short story.lol
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Yeah the Cyclops share some wiring issues across the models. Much of what is in the thread applies to the 1641. The common areas are the ignition switch connection, the multi-pin connection and the PTO switch. They get corroded and rusty and cause problems.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Bsmith
First and Last Name: Brandon Smith

Post by Bsmith »

Please check the seat safety switches.

The exact same thing happened to my 1641 a few weeks ago. Hit a bump in the yard and the pto shut off. Had to hold the switch up to keep the pto going and fininish mowing.

There are two safety switches under a metal plate that floats on two springs under the seat pan.

I found one of mine had the tabs that hold it in place snapped off. The switch was no longer in the correct orientation and was not making contact. Both switches have to be engaged to keep the pto on.

I would check your safet switches first. Let us know what you find.

Gratuitous pic of my 1641.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (988.62 KiB) Viewed 5480 times

Batt4Christ

Post by Batt4Christ »

Nice Cub!!!

I have read several posts about the seat switch(s). Everything from bad connections/wires, to dead switches. With the history of sometimes disengaging after hitting a bump, I'm inclined now to think that is a likely culprit. Thanks, I will take a look.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Nice tractor Brandon, but r u sure that's yours???......... I thought all of your rides have armrest. :lol: Nice to see u chime in man .......and don't b such a stranger. Dave

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

The relay for the reverse switch can go bad also,it is next to the battery and has Bosch on it.

Gratuitous picture of my 1641
Attachments
DSC00782.JPG
DSC00782.JPG (515.33 KiB) Viewed 5468 times

Bsmith
First and Last Name: Brandon Smith

Post by Bsmith »

Dave,

I didn't have time to get arm rests in this one yet. I found it with only 229 original hours on it. It has been my main grass cutter since the spring. So far I am pleased with it. I didn't know what to expect as it is my first Cyclops. It did come with my second favorite accessory though, the front bumper.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (174.2 KiB) Viewed 5464 times

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Brandon , a front bumper on a Cyclops is almost a necessity . CC should have installed them out of the factory with one on them . I've owned a couple and you can't bump anything ... :x
Oh , nice looking tractor by the way , and yours also Lewis ... :thumbsup:
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Agreed every one should have come with a bumper. If your plastic is still perfect i recommend a bumper. Even if it is home made! This will keep the grill nice for 20 more years!

Batt4Christ

Post by Batt4Christ »

Well...not out this afternoon and disassembled seat bracket. Switches were dirty on the outside. I unplugged and cleaned contacts, sprayed down, and reassembled. PTO still wouldn't stay on...

So I checked the selonoid near the battery. It didn't look plugged all the way in. So I unplugged it l, cleaned what I could, then securely plugged it back in.

Cranked tractor and engaged PTO. WORKED, and with no voltage light!!! YES! Thanks yall!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Great......now where r your pictures?