782D glow plug upgrade

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

782D glow plug upgrade

Post by mgonitzke »

Since the starter went out on my 782D, I've decided to upgrade the glow plugs while I have the tractor down for the starter repair. I picked up the NGK Y-103V plugs and am trying to figure out what to do with the wiring. I thought I read somewhere to bypass the glow indicator and apply 12V straight to the plugs, but that would result in them drawing 51 amps, which I doubt the key switch or wiring can handle. That and the plugs are only rated for 10.5V. If I leave the glow indicator in the circuit, then the current is just over 6 amps but there will only be about 1.5V across the plugs, which isn't going to do much. Those that have done this- how did you do it?
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Re: 782D glow plug upgrade

Post by stevet »

Matt, Todd Markle's write up is in the "Tools and How to" section. I read it before, and I think he used a relay between the battery and the glow plugs to avoid too much voltage. I need to do the same thing to my 782D so I'd like to know if you do anything differently than what Todd did.

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Thanks Steve! I can't believe I couldn't find that. I was looking for it, but in the wrong place. It's all done now, I just have to try it out after dinner. I wound up mounting my solenoid on the same bolts as the fuel pump so I didn't have to drill additional holes, and I just ran a new wire from the start switch to the solenoid. I also used 8 gauge wire from the battery to solenoid and solenoid to glow plugs. I'm not sure why Todd used 10 gauge for the part from the solenoid to the glow plugs, as the current draw I calculated is more than what 10 gauge wire can handle.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Matt,I did the up grade and mounted the solenoid on the fan bearing bracket like Todd did.Twice I had issues getting it started be cause the vibration broke the crimped on eyelet that runs from the solenoid to the first glow plug.After the second time I decided to use a piece of very fine stranded cable(the old ground cable from my plasma cutter)and put a lazy loop in it instead of directly to the plug.To date this has held up.
Hope this helps.

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Well, it runs! I wish I had done this years ago...it used to take 25 seconds with the glow plugs to get it to start...now, 5 seconds of glow plugs and it starts as soon as the starter turns it over.

BM-

I crimp and solder all of my wiring, so I don't think I'll have that problem. At least I never have with any other tractor wiring I have done.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Ill have to look at mine as I dont have that light on mine. It has a place for it. In the afternoon I dont even have to heat it and it fires right off. :dontknow: When I bought it, that morning was cold and it was sitting out all night. He heated it for about 10 sec and it fired right off.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Matt,
IIRC I said in the write up to use at least 10 gauge, but I actually used 8 gauge on mine. I think it was originally suggseted to me to use 6 gauge, but I figured
8 gauge was plenty. 10 gauge is what the factory used from the glow indicator to the plugs.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

The indicator thingy knocks the current down to just over 6A, so 10 gauge would have been more than adequate for the stock setup. According to my measurements of the resistance of the glow plugs and calculation of the current draw, 51A is possible, and the 8 gauge is good for 64A for lengths of wire less than 3', so that'll be fine. 10 gauge can't handle that sort of current. One thing I did learn today is that it's much easier to find 6 gauge wire and terminals than 8 gauge wire and terminals.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Yes 8 gauge is a bit of an oddball. They use it for custom stereo systems. But for normal automotive use it is too big for primary wire and too small for battery cable. I had a roll of it from when I made up a new wiring harness for a NF. They use 8 gauge from the starter relay to the starter/generator.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Matt,in both cases on mine the ring terminal itself broke not the wire.

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Here are a few pictures from when I did the upgrade the other day. I drilled a 61/64" hole in the engine mount plate (I wanted 1" but the biggest non-hole-saw bit I had was 61/64") because I thought 1 1/4" might weaken it too much, as there's already another hole nearby from the factory. I ground a radius on one edge of the hole to obtain more clearance for the nut, and that was all that was necessary. I added one of those little rubber boots from an old wiring harness to make absolutely certain the wire couldn't touch the mount plate. The second two pictures show my solenoid location. I used the bolts that hold on the fuel pump, as the hole spacing on the solenoid matched that. I ran a new wire from the start switch to the "S" terminal on the solenoid, and then ran an additional cable from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid, and also from the solenoid to the glow plugs. I put another rubber boot on the end of the hot wire going to the solenoid to avoid accidentally shorting it. I chose to mount the solenoid there because it was easier and faster for me to run a new wire than to drill holes in the fan bracket. This also looks a bit cleaner than mounting it on the fan bracket IMO.
100_8182 (Medium).JPG
100_8183 (Medium).JPG
100_8184 (Medium).JPG
BM-

Interesting. I'll be on the lookout for that.

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Matt, where did you buy your starter? Do you have a model number and approx cost for it? I want to do my upgrades prior to winter and want to start getting everything together. Thanks!

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

I got it on ebay for about $90 shipped. Do an ebay search on the numbers in Todd's thread in the How-to section, and you'll come up with a lot of options. They are basically all the same, just from different sellers at slightly different prices.

cubcadetfeva
First and Last Name: Evan Savar

Post by cubcadetfeva »

Hello,

Does the glowplug upgrade require replacing the wiring from glowplug to glowplug to handle the extra current? I believe the original wiring is aluminum. Do the new glowplugs really draw 51 amps?

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Hey Welcome Even! I have not done this upgrade....so dont have much to offer other than wiring is nothing to mess around with if u r not completely confident on whats gong on. I guess once u bypass the indicator, that extra voltage is directed to the plugs...so...yes i would think 40-50 amp is possible and therefor those wires should b changed as well. I have seen where Kubota did not even use wire when wired in series..it was a metal bar. Good luck. NOW.... Lets see some pics of this Diesel. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Evan - Welcome here! I don't have any diesels, but there is a write up in our "Tools and How To" section that might help: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=787
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><