1864 solenoid

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
woodworker4421
First and Last Name: troy cromley

1864 solenoid

Post by woodworker4421 »

i have a 1864 that i have too keep turning the key to get it too start .i have seen that they add a relay to get 12 volts at the solenoid . what relay do they install and how to wire it up? is the relay easy to get and where ,cost. thanks for your help

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Re: 1864 solenoid

Post by SWilliams »

The usual problem on the cyclops series is the connector on the back of the ignition switch. The terminals on the switch rust and cause high resistance, that creates heat that melts the plastic. The repair isn't hard, pull the connector off. Cut off and replace the quick connects from the wires and replace the switch with a new one. Add some grease to the terminals to stop the rust. I have had to do this repair on every cyclops I've owned.

The relay update can also make a big difference, but if the switch isn't working now it won't make much difference. I attached the "commonly used" version of the update. I've done the update on a couple but found the bad switch connection is the more common issue. My 1863 needs me to repair it, just don't seem to get to it...
2182 upd.pdf
(876.34 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

woodworker4421

Post by woodworker4421 »

my tractor will start after about 7 or 8 turns of my key switch. so that would take out the key switch . my cub dealer in my area told me that they install relays to get the solenoid 12 volts, due to going thru so many switchs. if i add the relays it is going to use two relays correct? are they the same part number? without and looking at my cub i think my solenoid has a small blue wire.you say a voltage sensor , what are you saying by voltage sensor the dealer said with the relay the solenoid would get 12 volts . i will look at the terminal at the swtich to double check. i will keep you posted

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

That is the same thing you get with bad contacts. You turn the key and hear a click but no start. Same thing will happen if you hold the key at start and step up/down on the brake pedal. BTDT on multiple tractors. The solenoid on the starter will click but not connect because of the lower voltage. Clean and replace the connection and the problem goes away.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

woodworker4421

Post by woodworker4421 »

i looked at my switch tonight. the black plastic was burnt.also had tape around it. i cut all the wire ends from the connector. the black wire already had the end replaced. the switch itself terminals looked real good and clean.i am going to put new ends on the other wires this weekend hope this care of my problem. i started it three times, once i had too turn the ket twice, the other two times it started right up. thanks for your help

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

I did this upgrade to my 2284,no problems after I did it.

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/show ... hp?t=38545