Installing Rear Support Bracket

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
cubcadetfeva
First and Last Name: Evan Savar

Installing Rear Support Bracket

Post by cubcadetfeva »

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of install the rear support bracket by Xtreme and the 3 point hitch. I noticed I have to add washers to the rear if I want to have both. Has anyone experience this issue? I tried using 2 washers from the hardware store but the thickness does not quite match the 3 point hitch bracket width and so the axle carrier started leaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Installing Rear Support Bracket

Post by dag1450 »

I don't have any knowledge as to how to install the products u bought. What I do know is washers don't seal. A lot of the bolts u r referring to go right into the rear and r supposed to b sealed with a thread seal. That's where Tom said to use #2 ( or #3 ) on the threads of the bolts. Try to clean the oil out of the threads first and dont b shy. On bolts and pipe threads I like to coat each piece before....but I think on this stuff u can only do the male thread. Pay attention to your tightness (torque) ...u can get in a lot of trouble real fast if not using a torque wrench.
At good hardware stores they might have different thickness washers.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

I've done 3 or 4 sets now. Here is what I do.

Drain the oil in the rear.

Remove the bolts needed for the braces and lay them to the side in the orientation they came out. You will need to get ones that are a little longer because of the thickness of the braces, about a 1/4".

When you are ready to reassemble I use brake cleaner and spray in the bolt holes and then blow clean with compressed air. Install the new bolts(I use the grade 8 China specials at TSC because they are cheap) with Permatex #2 and torque to 30 ft/lb....IIRC.

Double check the length of the new bolts. On some it doesn't matter if they are a little too long but some of the holes it does. If they are a little too long I add a washer or two.

I'll see if I can post some pics up for you.

cubcadetfeva
First and Last Name: Evan Savar

Post by cubcadetfeva »

Have you installed any with a 3 point point hitch? I would be interested to see a picture of that with the bracing. I can't seem to find washers that are exactly the same width as the 3pt metal bracket, I may have to go to McMaster or cut the bracket and only use two support holes.

Thanks
Evan

First and Last Name: Sam McCleary

Post by 9803412 »

Evan

Just sent you a PM.

Sam

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Here is a set I put on my 982 with rear lift.
DSCN2224.JPG
DSCN2224.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 3440 times
Attachments
DSCN2225.JPG
DSCN2225.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3440 times
DSCN2226.JPG
DSCN2226.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 3440 times