1811 back from the dead

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.

Re: 1811 back from the dead

Postby eplummer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Had a great time at the Zagray Farm with Joe M last Sunday. He showed me around and gave me the history of the farm. I encourage anyone within driving distance to attend one of their shows. We traded some parts so now I can move forward with greasing my ball and shaft. :lol: Hopeful to get the engine back in the 1811 over the weekend.
eplummer

City and State: Marlborough, MA
First and Last Name: Eric Plummer

Postby eplummer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:15 am

Hopeful to get an engine back into the 1811 this weekend. I do need to buy a battery, is a good rule of thumb to get the highest cca that will fit?

Also, how much tension should be on the governor spring when the engine is off? I have looked in the manual but couldn't extract that info. I waded through the literature about the flyweights and my basic understanding is that the spring buffer the inertia of the weights(??) At the moment it seems to be really taught. I can move it with my thumb but it takes some effort.
eplummer

Postby dag1450 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Sorry...I haven't been avoiding you...I just didn't have an answer. Without the throttle cable hooked up the governor and spring go back to that "toggle" thing bolted to the intake manifold, and they all should move very freely. But Yes that spring from the governor to the intake bracket will create some resistance once hooked the throttle cable. In the manual they discuss setting the spring I think.
Let see some pics...u owe us some pics of this now famous 1811 ! ;)
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 x 2 . A mower, blower and blade for each.
dag1450

City and State: Chalfont, Pa
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Postby eplummer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:39 pm

image.jpeg

Dag1450, No apologies needed. Most people do avoid me though!! I will go ahead and connect the throttle cable and go from there. Some progress today..I hooked up a new battery to the project and turned the key...I heard the hour meter start to tick so that was good but starter didn't kick or anything. I am sure I have an open lead somewhere so I was not really surprised. But there is a 3 pronged male connector on top of the engine and I can't see where it goes. I am sure it will be a big "DUH" and embarrassing when I figure it out. I really didn't have much time to dedicate to figuring it out earlier today, might try and get some shed time tonight! I will get some pictures posted this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eplummer

Postby dag1450 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 pm

The other end of that wire harness is probably down in the frame rail. It can't go to far away as it has to reach up there and it "Ys" out of the main harness.....then the rest continue up to starter and headlights. I think there is also a wire that goes to the engine for ground. I forget where it hooks but again the harness should tell u. I want to say one of the side tin bolts.....idk.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 x 2 . A mower, blower and blade for each.
dag1450

City and State: Chalfont, Pa
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Postby eplummer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:13 pm

So within minutes of my last post went to the shed and actually used my glasses and a flashlight and found the other end of the pigtail. Dag1450 you were (are) correct!Made the connection, turned the key and......nothing. :( The hour meter ticks and the low engine light comes on as before. Put a screwdriver across the solenoid and still nothing. I tested the continuity of the connection (I think ??) The only slot that did not make the needle on the tester move was the white one coming from under the tin that I think comes from the stator, but would there be if the flywheel isn't spinning and doing the electromagnetic thing?
From here going to look up the wiring diagram to see what I can figure out. As always thanks, and suggestions for direction always appreciated.
eplummer

Previous

Return to CCC and MTD Built Cub cadets