Greetings to Cycloppers

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
kenty
First and Last Name: Ken Shaffer

Greetings to Cycloppers

Post by kenty »

(Moved from Welcome Mat to CCC forum; Tom)

Hello members and especially the Cycloppers,

I am new to this forum, and seeking the “wisdom of the forum” regarding a newly purchased 1992ish 1440 Hydro Cub Cadet. The CC is in rough shape. The PO advise approx. 4 years ago she was mowing (42” deck) and the 14hp B&S Vanguard Twin had a “minor” smoking issue. On that fateful day the CC smoking habit intensified to the point of fogging for mosquitoes. She drove another minute to the CC final resting spot. Now the engine was running extremely rough and she turned it off.
Since the original owner (PO’s sibling) of the CC had recently died an untimely death, the CC sat outside under a tarp. The PO heard that these B&S were known to “blow a gasket” so she elected to start engine disassembly, which amounted to removal of the engine tin and various wires disconnected. The CC sat. I spied it and gave her $100 for this dilapidated CC. The hour meter is under 600 hours. The body sheet metal label reads “mfg. date F082G3” and the deck reads “K302G4”. The B&S 294447-0445-01 has a code of “92050811”.

My intended use of the CC is mowing and cart pulling.
So my questions are :
#1— Manufacture dates of CC, mower deck and B&S engine
#2— Assuming the rest of the CC is in working order, what engine in the CC line-up can be readily swapped if a donor is found ?
#3— New B&S repowers have been quoted in 16 to 18 hp from $1200 to $1800 which is too costly for me, SO
#4— Going on the web / marketplace for a used drop-in 13 to 18 hp of a good quality name brand ?
#5— Boy I wish I could just do a rebuild but I fear by the time I amass better / correct tools to do the job as well as a bit of technical guidance, I would be unhappy with the results.

So please chime in and TIA !!

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: Greetings to Cycloppers

Post by JMotuzick »

Welcome!
First this post kinda needs to be in the CCC/MTD area, I would move it but I’m at work poor cell service etc etc etc.

I’ll do my best to answer… I don’t have the MTD codes memorized, but the Briggs was made 92(year)05(month)08(day) so it was made may 8th 1992 witch is about right for a 1440.
I would look for another Briggs the 14/16/18 are all the same the only major difference being the carburetor this getting, more HP with different fuel flow.
Another option is a “short block” again poor service here at work so I can’t do the homework for you, but with the numbers you posted any Briggs dealer should be able to get you the block with crank cam pistons all installed. You would need the sheet metal starter carb exhaust, I believe you would need the heads and push rods as well.
Due to wiring changes required for the different engines I would stick with the Briggs or buy a M18 from another cyclops and get the wire harness to go with it! Also the newer Kohler CH18 from a 1863/64 again bring the harness with you.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Joe, you pretty much covered all the bases, but will he need a different length driveshaft with the non Briggs options? I'm too lazy look it up and I know you probably know off the top of your head!

Kenty, Welcome! Stick with it and ask questions, you'll get it sorted.
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Tom
Thanks for the move!

Yes, you are correct, the driveshaft would need to move with the engine. Each of the 3 engines used a different driveshaft.

It also should be noted that the these engines where used in generators, both large mobile and smaller whole house generators be sure to watch your crank shaft sizes especially when they where coming off a generator.

kenty

Post by kenty »

Gents,
Thanks for moving me to the right spot. I see a few used one here and there ( eBay, Craigslist, Facebook etc ) but not too sure of buying someone else's
problem. A Short Block may be the way to go but I am still in the exploratory phase. So please keep the suggestions coming ! :)

kenty

Post by kenty »

Hello all,
After many days searching for the least expensive mean to support my cyclops 1440 rehab, I opted to rebuild the engine,diy. The POs had begun minor disassembly by detaching some external parts, muffler, tin & disconnecting wiring.  Leaving me a basket of “where did this part go?”
To clean-up engine I did three pressure washing (diy cold water only but soaking of degreaser with brush scrubbing and a treatment of oven cleaner).
Taking spark plug hole readings-(leak down, compression) of the 1992 B&S model 29,-CYL#1-hear air escaping carb & exhaust port and compression of 45lbs. CYL#2-hear air from exhaust port and compression of 85lbs.

Pulled heads (both had blown gaskets but no gas erosion)
#1- valves heavy with carbon, exhaust valve so heavy I could not see any resemblance of seating, chamber partial obstruction w/chunk of carbon by intake valve.
#2- valves w/ much lighter carbon build-up. Still could see valves seating.
Since I was committed at this point, my shoe string budget allowed buying a gasket/ring set (pn 807620) from LIL RED BARN (LRB).
Previous purchase from ADAM’S SMALL ENGINE of a B&S gasket kit NOS.  Sadly what I find on these eBay NOS is that back in the day setting on the Dealer’s shelf the shop mechanic raided the part package and removed a vital piece.  Fast forward 10-50 years later, I buy it to discover that it is incomplete.
I see that the newer gasket sets are made to cover the variables of that engine model so I will have unused gaskets but I see that ONLY 2 of the Valve Seal, pn 691963, are included. My B&S has 4 total.
My question is: Did B&S stop putting a valve seal on the Exhaust Valve of the model 29 ?
Thanks for your input