Early Cyclops Axle Tubes

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Early Cyclops Axle Tubes

Post by Tom Scott »

Cub issued CC-199 Service Bulletin (3/30/1990) that early Cyclops GT and SGT tractors (Serial #s 800,001 thru 806,353) used fasteners that were too short to attach the disc brake bracket to the rear axle carrier assembly (axle tube).

I knew that my 2182 fell within this range, and I have been aware of the service bulletin since I bought the tractor last spring. The recommended fix is easy; replace the existing bolts with longer 5/16-18 x 1" bolts. Tap deeper if required.

I didn't get to it in time. I have steep hills, and I tore the caliper right off the axle tube. Bent the caliper, bent the disc, broke the tube. I hate self inflicted wounds that you know you could have prevented. :oops:

Our good friend Ray Weaver is shipping me a replacement caliper and axle tube. I have a new disc and bearing and seal on order from a dealer. (BTW, axle carriers just went NLA from Cub)

Don't be a Tom. Check your Cyclops machines that fall within this serial number range. You must have 1" long bolts attaching the caliper bracket to the axle carrier!
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

Re: Early Cyclops Axle Tubes

Post by MattS »

I am gonna check mine tomorrow. I never heard of that bulletin before. Thanks for the heads up.