2084 super cub running lean

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
dale campbell
First and Last Name: Dale Campbell

2084 super cub running lean

Post by dale campbell »

i bought a 2084 super last fall that needed some work i've got most of it taken care of but it's running lean [if i close the choke about halfway it runs pretty good] i know they make different jets to change the mixture but i have'nt been able to find the specs to see what jet size is correct.i'm not sure if my carb is the right one [could be for a smaller engine i know it's been worked on because the fuel selenoid plunger stem has been cut off ,selenoid does'nt work]does anyone have carb #'s and specs for a 2084... thanks dale

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Re: 2084 super cub running lean

Post by Racenitro »

Sounds like you have a very tiny piece of crud in the jet. Does not take much to effect the fuel. Had a 2072 that I rebuilt the carb. Ran great and all of a sudden it would not run without the choke out about 2/3rds. Took carb apart and found a tiny piece of crud in the jet. Cleaned it real good and it still is running today like brand new.

dale campbell

Post by dale campbell »

i've had the carb apart twice now and blew it all out ,i just got a new carb and checked the jet size it's a 150 just like mine but i found a o-ring under the fuel selenoid that my original carb does'nt have i think that is letting it suck some air around the selenoid i hope.

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

The carb on my TroyBilt had that problem, caused but a rusty gastank. I never did get the crud out of it, I finally bought a brand new Carb and fixed it.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

dale campbell

Post by dale campbell »

well i got it fixed,installed the o-ring that was missing still did'nt run right,installed brand new carb that i bought still no good,drilled the main jet from my old carb out with a 1/64 drill bit[did'nt take much]now it runs good as long as i'm working it a little ,pulses a tiny bit at idle got to play with air screw to see if that will fix it

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Post by pattonacres »

Dale ,I had a command here that had been sitting a while ,pulled the carb and cleaned ,didn`t look bad at all.stuck i back on and no better. did it again and same cond. I called a guy that used to work for me that now works at a toro deale and he stopped after work and ripped it apart again and blew air,carb spray put it together and same,he did it once more and got it and I had no more problems. He said it only takes a tine chunk ,not as forgiving as the older stuff.
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

My 582 was doing that, mostly on low idle, and trash in the welch plug. If you have fuel lines that are going bad, youll be fighting it a long time!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

pattonacres
First and Last Name: Rich Patton

Post by pattonacres »

Vince have you noticed every thing fuel related now says not compatable with more than 10% ethanol ,some say no ethanol ,what are you supposed to do?
PATTON ACRES LLC Garden Tractor Salvage Yard
check us out online @ www.pattonacres.com

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Rich

I havent, but when I worked with Frank, the engineers at 3 schools told us it was killing them. I am working on a 12 now that was in a 100 and the gas looks like green cool aid. I dont have a clue what to do. Ive also noticed at the truck stops more and more tags on the pumps about low sulfer fuel.

Damn Al Gore LOL
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson