Diesel Driveshafts

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Diesel Driveshafts

Post by dag1450 »

Bryan, I have a 1572 that i am in the process of pulling the engine, i can easy get the measurement you need. Maybe you could clarify what you mean by distance of holes? and single front and rear Measurement . check back in a few days after the heat wave. Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

Bryan are you going to start making some for resale?
Adrian

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

What taper? I've had two GT diesels, and neither had a taper anywhere.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

It's probably wear. There's no reason to have a taper there, just a chamfer to make it easier to put the end of the driveshaft in the ball bushing. If it was tapered, it wouldn't be tight in the inner race of the ball bushing, so it would completely defeat the purpose of having it. Got a pic of what you are talking about? I suspect you may be talking about the chamfer on the end of the shaft, but I don't know for sure.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Bryan, I put a little time in on the 1572 today,i did look at the driveshaft and thats all i did. I dont think i will be able to get the meaurements u need,there is a lot to that thing!! mounting plate to the kubota ,coupling, rag joint,coupling, then the shaft, fan , clutch, coupling,more rag joints, more couplings ,it just kept going. I think buying one looks like a good idea. Sorry Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

jrarick
First and Last Name: Jim Rarick

Post by jrarick »

I have owned my 1772 for over 18years and have worked on the driveline numerous times. It is expensive but I have learned to buy the correct replacement parts from cub including the nuts and bolts that hold it all together. As has been said there is a lot going on in the driveline. I am by no means a mechanic--just my first hand experiences working on my diesel.

Dean S
First and Last Name: Dean Sutter

Post by Dean S »

I don't know if this will help, but here is a pic comparing the ends of two driveshafts. I sold a clutch style driveshaft from a 1512 on ebay a few years ago, and included this pic so the new owner could modify his own. The original 1512 driveshaft was wore out on the engine side (had a taper on it).