Diesel Cooling Systems ?'s

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Chevy13045
First and Last Name: Chris Doroski

Diesel Cooling Systems ?'s

Post by Chevy13045 »

Hi,
Im new to the forums, but have looked at them many times for some good advice. I purchased my dream Cub 1572 last year and was surprised to see how little information there is on the internet about these tractors and how scarce the parts are getting when compared to the IH ones. My 1572 is in dire need of an overhall and I was wondering what people are doing to replace the lower radiator hose (735-3019) that is no longer available from CC/MTD?

My second question is regarding converting the old mechanical fan set up to an electric fan that mounts on the radiator, and insight for anyone?
1972 IH Cub Cadet 109
1989 CCC 1572D

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: Diesel Cooling Systems ?'s

Post by mgonitzke »

For the lower hose, you can either take the old one to an auto parts store with a patient desk guy that will take it out back and compare it to all of the auto ones until he finds something close enough, or get radiator hose that doesn't have any preformed bends in it and just use large cable clamps and zip ties to keep it in position.

The charging system is pretty anemic on these engines...they can barely handle running the electric PTO, so if you put an electric fan on there, you will discharge the battery. I'm not sure why you want to switch to an electric fan...the mechanical one on the two I've had cooled them just fine.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

One thing I have done when I couldn't find a hose that fits, is to buy a couple of hoses that have at least one correct bend, and some muffler tubing. Cut the bends that you need and use the tubing for the straight sections.
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

Chevy13045

Post by Chevy13045 »

Thanks to everyone thus far, these are some good ideas. Im disappointed that MTD has stopped production of some pretty obvious long term maint parts.

With regards to the electric fan conversion, I thought it would be a cool upgrade and I intended to do this to the charging system using a 40 amp alternator from a early 80's Datsun pickup. I found a site on the net that has the correct adapter for the wiring harness to the alternator and since Im a resto mod type of guy, I fugured why not...... Keeps me out of the bars and in the garage.
1972 IH Cub Cadet 109
1989 CCC 1572D

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

If you get that alternator to work, post some details. When the alternator dies on my 782D, I'd rather not buy another inadequate Kubota one. I'll keep my mechanical fan, but I'd sure like to be able to use the lights and PTO clutch at the same time :lol:
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

Yeah last week I mowed and toward the end I had to turn the lights on. At full rpm with the lights on and mowing I was just barely showing a charge. Right when I throttled down the rpms after mowing it started discharging with the lights still on. They could have took the time to come up with a better charging alternator.
Adrian

knight
First and Last Name: Joe Knight

Post by knight »

When I purchased my 782D; the po had installed an electric fan and removed the original fan and shroud. The electric fan will not draw air thru enough of the radiator cooling tubes. It will not cool properly and drain the battery. I just got lucky in finding an original fan, fan jack, shroud, and adjusting pulley.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Ive had no problems, so far, with mine cooling except when the alt bracket broke. I run my pto and lights with no problems. Ive done it a couple of time mowing the grass.

I used it yesterday to keep the battery up on my welder cause for somereason it didnt want to start. It dosnt take much for the welder to drain the batt. I just put the 1512 beside the welder with some cables to it and the thing charged fine. Im going to redo the cooling system this winter on mine and have been told both hoses were NLA. I know that Monty got an upper one from the bota dealer. I stopped at the local bota dealer here and told him what I had, and they used to sell the diesel versions of the cubs only. He told me to come see him he shold be able to hook me up whith what I need.

I guess t goes to that, guy behind the counter that wants to help, or just knows what hes doing.

One thing I do notice it it runs on the last line for the temp guage. But acording to the big sticker on the hood, its right were its sposta be. I still enjoy useing it, but I prefer the gear dives still over the hydros.
Attachments
100_0179.jpg
100_0179.jpg (89.6 KiB) Viewed 8111 times
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Vince, mine only runs that hot if the grille screen is clogged with bugs. Most of the time the needle is just to the right of the lower end of the operating range.

jrarick
First and Last Name: Jim Rarick

Post by jrarick »

I have used the lights and pto on my 1772 many times and have had no problems.
My experience on overheating--- the best ccooling help I have found over the years is to keep the radiator fins very clean and make sure the upper hose is well insulated where it runs over the top of the engine.
I use low pressure air and take my time blowing the dirt out of every radiator fin. I find the only way to get it all is to blow from the front in. (It is amazing what will come out) Then I blow out the engine compartment. Just the way I do it--I need all the cooling possible mowing in the heat and humidity here in Florida. Obviously you have to keep the radiator screen clean as needed.
Jim

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Matt

I cant remember if this is the operating range. It never gets above this line, unless were out back mowing the broom straw, then it plugs the fine screen.
Attachments
100_0548.jpg
-Andrew Jackson

Chevy13045

Post by Chevy13045 »

For the little bit I ran my 1572 before starting the disassembly it never over heated, just that crappy rock hard bottom hose leaked and the radiator is in need of a re-coring. I was hoping to find someone who knew of a secret stash of NLA parts at reasonable prices because I like to keep my cub's all cub when possible with minor modifications, mostly for performance. This machine had a hard life (2072 hours on the clock, crack in the frame, etc) before I got my hands on to it but for the most part it just needs a good cleaning and complete overhall to get it back to my sepcs...... "show room new condition", I work my equipment but I never beat on it. My intention is to do the same with this tractor as I do with my restored 109/129 hybrid, which is to mow in the summer and move snow in the winter.

The idea for the electric fan upgrade came about from several thoughts. First was finding the upgrade to a 40 amp alternator from the dynamo idea so I could add more lights to the tractor when I'm plowing in the winter and second is my resto mod 1968 chevy C-10 that has no problem staying cool with an electric fan attached to the radiator on hot days in the summer. Electric fan tech has come a long way in recent years, not only for CFM flow but in reliability. Not to mention how much stuff that has to be disaembled from the tractor to change this belt, mine hadn't been changed since the tractor was new, same wth the water pump belt. As the retoration of the 1572 progresses, ill post pics of the conversion/modifications I do in hopes of spurring the gears of other cub lovers to start turning.
1972 IH Cub Cadet 109
1989 CCC 1572D

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

For the hoses you can get some 1" heater hose and some of these;
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?broch ... on_id=5348
They are also available from NAPA.
Many kubotas use a 40-45 amp alterntor that looks like maybe a direct bolt in replacement for the permenant magnet dynamo.
There a tons of brand new ones on ebay;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-ALTE ... ccessories
search "kubota alternator" and you will find lots ot them. I can't say for sure they will be an exact bolt in, but I'm sure that is the smallest alternator
you will find with that high of amperage.

I'm running an electric fan on my diesel puller and it cools good when it gets enough air through the grill. My new grill seems to restrict it some. My radiator is a bit bigger than what a 1572 etc would have but my engine is almost twice as big too (1100 cc).

I have found on my 882 I have to run without the side panels to keep it cool when ambient temp is really high. I suspect the radiator might be partially plugged from stop leak because it looks like it had the fan bracket break and the fan hit the radiator.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Chevy13045

Post by Chevy13045 »

Awesome idea, I didn't know there was such a thing as those unicoils! Thanks! Additionally, Farmallgray, I admire what you have done to turbocharge your tractors, thats where some of my ideas have spawned from.
1972 IH Cub Cadet 109
1989 CCC 1572D

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Just an update. I changed my coolant this weekend, kinda, didnt pull the hoses cause I was scared to screw them up. But I tested it and Im fine for as cold as it gets here. One thing I did was replace the thermostat and new cap. I put on a 13 lb cap and what a differance all this made, for me anyway. It never hits the 3/4 mark on the guuage now. Acording to the sticker under the hood, that 230 deg. Being right in the peak of leaf season, I dont want to pull the hoses off and ruin one.
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Heres a pic of stat, wonder what my water pump is like?
Attachments
DIESEL STAT 001.jpg
-Andrew Jackson

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

I never have a problem using both the clutch and lights on my 1572 or my 1782. Maybe I am just lucky for a change or one day the whole thing will go South.

My 782D did not have the light koohed up so I never used both so don't know if would keep ahead of the battery.