problems with 2086

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Gorilla
First and Last Name: Kevin Leach

problems with 2086

Post by Gorilla »

my 2086 has started stalling out after 30-40 minutes of mowing, sometimes will continue to run with choke, other times will not, anybody have any ideas?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Re: problems with 2086

Post by J Hayes »

Don't sound too unusual-- that is a factory installed miller option. After 40 Minutes it's Miller time till she cool off . :lol: :lol:

Seriously though--- Does engine seem hotter than normal? could be a mouse nest, or grass build up in the screens for proper airflow,and block may be getting so hot the gas is boiling in carburetor.
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

redbull1
First and Last Name: Andrew Mann

Post by redbull1 »

Could it be dirt in the carb or tank. If you let it set for awhile does it start back up?

Gorilla

Post by Gorilla »

it's liquid cooled, doesn't seem hotter than normal. it will usually start right back up, but dies when I try to throttle up, or even move it!

redbull1
First and Last Name: Andrew Mann

Post by redbull1 »

check the relay to see if it is functioning. See if the terminals are corroded or etc.

Gorilla

Post by Gorilla »

I tried to mow with the 2086 last evening, it started acting up in less than 5 minutes, when it started acting up, it was popping and sputtering, with small flame out the muffler, I'm thinking the fuel pump is going out, I had to put some gas down the carb to get it started.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Kevin , I had a cyclops model 1535 that had a similar problem . It would run for 30 minutes and then stall out like it was out of gas . It would restart and run for a few more minutes and stall again. The hotter the weather the shorter time it would run before it would start stalling. Crazy part was if I let it sit for about an hour it would run fine until the engine heated up . I thought it might be a vapor lock condition and I eventually tried changing the impulse vacume fuel pump and gas filter but that didn't fix the problem .

I eventually discovered that I had a partially clogged fuel line near the fuel tank and when the rubber fuel lines in the engine compartment got hot enough they would collapse and restrict the fuel enough to shut down the engine . The rubber fuel lines were fine till the heat softened them a bit , and then they would collapse , kinda like trying to drink your soft drink while pinching the straw.....LOL

I found out later thats its not an uncommon problem with the cyclops models and the long run of rubber fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump .
Just a thought , might want to check your fuel lines .
Good luck , Jess
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Kevin , also when I first got that mower it was in the fall , when I first started using it the follow spring the problem didn't show up . I only started having problems after the outside temperature rose above 75 degrees . It like to drove me crazy until a fellow member Rick Harrris mentioned checking the fuel lines .
I still use that 1535 with 50C deck and don't have that problem any longer . :beer:
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

Gorilla

Post by Gorilla »

Thanks guys, lots to check out. I'm betting on the fuel lines being bad, what Jess was describing is exactly what I have been dealing with!!!

l palma
First and Last Name: Lew Palma

Post by l palma »

I am having the same problem on the 1810,played with it till it got hot and kept stalling out,I noticed the fuel line from the pump to the carb was very soft.
I will replace it and see what happens.

Thanks for the info Jess!!

Gorilla

Post by Gorilla »

Jess was right!!! replaced all the fuel lines on the 2086, runs perfectly now! Thanks Jess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

Jlaws

Post by Jlaws »

Kevin , I get lucky every once in a while . :lol:
Thats what this site is for , I'm glad I could help . :beer:
I've seen info that was shared on this site , that has help me out on more than one occasion .