RV Antifreeze vs. Washerfluid

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
TractorDan
First and Last Name: Dan Cocsorso

RV Antifreeze vs. Washerfluid

Post by TractorDan »

I'm going to load my 2082 rear tires (26x12x12) for the winter. But unsure which to use RV Antifreeze or Washerfluid. The tractor will be in the garage so the freezing point is fine for both, Washer fluid is about $1.50 cheaper, but I would like to load the tires and then leave them loaded for the winter & summer. Just don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish. Any thoughts????????
383 w/deck & snowplow
2072 w/loader
2082 w/deck & plow & blower
1772 w/deck
128 w/deck
1949 Cub w/deck, plow, & snowplow
M-48 Tank w/deck & Snowplow
Mowett Mustang 5hp
71 w/deck

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: RV Antifreeze vs. Washerfluid

Post by mgonitzke »

All of mine have washer fluid in them. If you have outdoor pets it might be better to use the RV antifreeze, as it should be non-toxic. You don't want them drinking washer fluid it if you happen to have a bad day and lose a bunch of it. I would also recommend tubes so you can't knock a tire off the rim and lose 8-9 gallons of fluid. The exception to that would be if you have Tru-Powers or some other tire that has an extremely thick bead/sidewall interface that makes the tire extremely hard to seat on the rim...those probably won't pop off.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Chevy13045
First and Last Name: Chris Doroski

Post by Chevy13045 »

Mine are loaded with washer fluid because I figure the worst it would if it leaked is kill some grass and not my pets. I do know that the washer fluid is mostly alcohol and can be flammable under the right condition, however I dont plan on burning the tires or racing light to light with it yet. I leave them loaded all year long.
1972 IH Cub Cadet 109
1989 CCC 1572D

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

The RV anti freeze is probably better for the long term health of the tires if you aren't using tubes. I have several using washer fluid, but they all have tubes in them.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I have both my Supers loaded with RV antifreeze, no tubes. I haven't had any problems with loosing a tire off the rim, but I a check the pressure pretty regular. I went with the RV AF due to it being kinder to the tires than the methanol in the wiper fluid, should be less likely to rust the steel rims, and non-toxic. And, if you like splitting hairs, RV AF is slightly heavier than water, wiper fluid is slightly lighter. Over the long haul, not that much more money. I kept enough of the jugs that it came in that if I discover a leak or need to replace a tire, I have somewhere to put the stuff back into.

Remember, there isn't any real reason you would be more likely to have a tire come off the rim just because they are loaded, other than a slow leak will leak down quicker due to the much lower volume of air supplying the pressure.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

I have tubes in mine, loaded with 1 gal of regular anti freeze per wheel the rest water. Where I live I dont have the freezeing problem. The reason I use tubes is to give a buffer between the water and steel. Dont no if it is really nessary, but it sounds good in therory.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

rcbe
First and Last Name: Richard Beebout

Post by rcbe »

The Rv type potable antifreeze is prolly more pricey, but safe for humans/pets/livestock in case of a spill. Regular antifreeze has a "sweet" taste, making it more likely to be consumed by pets, kids...

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

I have often wondered why someone hasn't tried good old veggie oil from the local restaurant they can remove animal fat for fuel At least it would be free
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

J Hayes wrote:I have often wondered why someone hasn't tried good old veggie oil from the local restaurant they can remove animal fat for fuel At least it would be free
It's less dense than water, so it is not as effective for weight, given the same volume.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

bcuster wrote:Gal of water = 8.345 lbs
Gal of veg oil = 7.678 lbs

DIfference of 0.667 lb

:geek: You make up the difference in weight by carrying a can of beer with ya..... :lol:
Interesting thought here if you add enough if the "non freezing agents" to a gallon of water to keep it from freezing ... How much would that same gallon weigh? I just read somewhere veggie oil is like you say 92% of weight of water but density is also a factor in colder temps it affects the oil more.

With my redneck teknability I will try to explain If ya get the oil for free and add 5lb of sugar to each wheel( Making it even more dense) it should come out equal or plus the weight of reg motor home antifreeze.With less cost.

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

Ok, fine...but I'd be concerned about it going rancid and what it might do to the rubber in the tire. I'll stick with my washer fluid...

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

mgonitzke wrote:Ok, fine...but I'd be concerned about it going rancid and what it might do to the rubber in the tire. I'll stick with my washer fluid...
No don't run away on this one!! I worked in a tire factory for 16 years and a machine we called a skiver where you cut plies for tires and hand stitch them together the machine made of steel , the new rolls of plies we were constructing we used Veggie oil to keep the layers from sticking Harmless to rubber. Animal fat may get rancid , but that can be eliminated through a Lye bath of some sort .. just don't know the process, but they use it in making fuel.

Amigatec
First and Last Name: Pat Benner

Post by Amigatec »

The thing I would worry about the veggie oil would be the oil making the rubber swell up. Ever see an oil soaked radiator hose?
CC 1973 Model 129
CC 1973 Model 149
TB 1978 Pony II
TB 1981 Horse II
TB 1988 Econo Horse
1950 David Bradley 917.5756

Oklahoma Giant Pumpkin Grower and State Record Holder.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I have goodluck with RV antifreeze and RimGuard.The alcohol in washer fluid bother me too.

Vince,common green automotive anti freeze "shouldn't" rust your wheels......it has rust inhibitors in it.If you use used green anti freeze you could have rust issues.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Veggie oil would be fine as long as the temp doesn't drop below about 50 degrees. Below that it will turn into a stiff mass like crisco. You really don't want a solid out of balance mass inside a tire on a moving piece of equipment.

I use RV antifreeze most of the time now.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Mike

I have tubes in all of my tires except for the 106. The only weight it has on it is the ih weights, plows like me and you threw an all you can eat!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

J Hayes

Post by J Hayes »

Amigatec wrote:The thing I would worry about the veggie oil would be the oil making the rubber swell up. Ever see an oil soaked radiator hose?
First of all , don't consider I am trying to start an argument, and please look at it as casual conversation. This is just my idea of maybe trying something different .

veggie oil is not petroleum based as motor oil ... should not affect the rubber.

Steve, I think the temperature you listed may be for using it as a fuel without diluting it with fuel
Tomorrow I will pick up a small bottle of corn oil to play with in the freezer, but without animal fat in it I don't expect it to harden enough to go solid as you say. But then I cannot replicate - 20° as we get those windchill factors quite common here.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Windchill does not effect the temperature that something freezes at, only the rate of removal of energy. Windchill numbers are just to give you an idea of what it feels like to you and me due to the increased rate of removing body heat. As far as non-living things without feelings, water outside in a closed container at say 31*F with a -20 windchill can still only be cooled down to the actual ambient temp of 31. The wind effect will just make it get down to that temp sooner.

Exposed water may freeze at a very slightly higher temperature due to the cooling effect of evaporation, but only by a small fraction of a degree, not by the large numbers that wind chill suggests.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><