relief valve rebuild service question

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
rwonder
First and Last Name: Roger Wonder

relief valve rebuild service question

Post by rwonder »

Has any of you used the rebuild service for the hydro relief valves? The guy from Ohio that rebuilds these claims to have done 118 of these rebuilds, so I would guess that he knows what he is doing.He lists the service on E-bay at $35 each. I have no connection with this man and do not know him, was just asking if anyone has used his service and how you came out. Were you happy with going that route versus replacing with new?

Thanks

J Hayes
First and Last Name: Jim Hayes

Re: relief valve rebuild service question

Post by J Hayes »

Seen awhile back on another forum of a guy that rebuilt a couple end result looked good, and worked as he showed pics of how he did it . not advisable to try it yourself .. These units are declared "Non Serviceable", but I guess if ya got enough determination and correct equipment ???
My mind wants a Divorce ?? .

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

rwonder wrote:Has any of you used the rebuild service for the hydro relief valves? The guy from Ohio that rebuilds these claims to have done 118 of these rebuilds, so I would guess that he knows what he is doing.He lists the service on E-bay at $35 each. I have no connection with this man and do not know him, was just asking if anyone has used his service and how you came out. Were you happy with going that route versus replacing with new?

Thanks
I have gotten 3 rebuilt valves from him over a year ago and they are still fine.
Adrian

DBork
First and Last Name: Dave Bork

Post by DBork »

HI,

I rebuild 2 following some online posts (can't find url now). Basic steps are:

1. grind or machine off crimped-on top half of valve.
2. disassemble and clean everything up
3.replace worn o-ring
4. reassemble
5. spot weld back together

It isn't too hard to do - trickest part is not loosing small parts.

Good luck!
Dave B.

rwonder
First and Last Name: Roger Wonder

Post by rwonder »

Don't think I have the nerve to attempt this myself, but I think I will give the E-bay fellow a shot and see how it turns out.
Thank's for the response guys. If I should have a problem this winter, in an emergency I can steal a valve from my 782. From what I see, they both have the same part number for the valves. Thanks again