54" Haban power angle blade question

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
bradm
First and Last Name: Brad Magee

54" Haban power angle blade question

Post by bradm »

I installed my new (to me) Haban blade on my 1872 today. All went on very well. I need to make the Cross shaft support brace, but my question is the angle blade does not go the left very well at all unless I slightly pull the up/down lever. It goes to the right as it should (fast), but not to the left unless I pull the up/down.

That's not normal is it? What am I over-looking?

Thanks!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 54" Haban power angle blade question

Post by Tom Scott »

Brad - You need to determine if you have a hydraulics issue or a mechanical problem. I would disconnect one end of the angling cylinder and then raise the blade. With the blade raised, manually move the blade to each side and see if the blade is hanging up on some corrosion or if something needs adjusting in the pivot area of the blade. Might just need some TLC and lubrication. If it operates freely, then you may have a hydraulic issue going on.

Keep in mind that a double acting cylinder has more piston surface are when extending than retracting (due to the area lost to the rod on the pressure side for retracting), and will always be faster and stronger in that direction.

Also, the cross shaft support brace (HA-14297) was still available from Cub as of last year (I bought one). Parts look-up is still showing it available for around $23.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Post by mikeyb »

The last couple days I called about 12 cub dealerships around me and everybody told me it was NLA. I got lucky though and 1 dealership still had 1 so I bought it and now I have a pattern!
You might get lucky like I did and find a dealership that still has one on the shelf.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I'm betting the hydraulic valve is either loose where it clamps to the steering column, or maybe it moved and the lever is hitting the slot in the dash before the valve spool gets to the end of its travel.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray