New to me 1050 and some questions

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
tex599
First and Last Name: Scott Wyss

New to me 1050 and some questions

Post by tex599 »

I just acquired a 1989 1050 and had a question on the clutch. I don't think it is set correct. I have a hard time shifting gears at max throttle, I can idle the engine and shift no problems. Is this normal?
Thanks

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Re: New to me 1050 and some questions

Post by rweaver »

those 1050 tractors had alum stick shift rears which were knowen to shift bad because for some reason they wore the gears out we have torn down a lot of those and they all had bad gears

tex599
First and Last Name: Scott Wyss

Post by tex599 »

After playing around with it today, it seems the clutch is not disengaging. I tried adjusting it and I can get it to release when the engine is not running, but once I start the engine it catches and will not release. Any thing I am missing?

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

My neighbor has a 1050 that I redid the whole clutch on for. Even with all new couplers and rag joints $$$$$$$$$ from the dealer the rag joints gave too much in the rear and would flex backwards toward the rear end not allowing the clutch to fully disengage. I ended up making some small brackets that still allowed flex but not as much flex. Still working 2 years later. You might have the same issue? It's worth pulling the tunnel cover and taking a quick look. The clutch spring and parts all seemed fine and wasn't sticking so I still don't know why this was happening. Even older tractors with one flex disc on the back didn't do that.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

If the driveshaft is moving back, you might need to add a 5/8" steel ball like the earlier 82 series and QL gear drives had to prevent that. I had the same issue with one of the 582s I built until I did that.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site