Supers look cool...

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Supers look cool...

Post by dag1450 »

Thanks Scott they are some good ideas. There is so much sheet metal around that engine that yuu could have a whole family in there and not even know it . Did IH have all that metal on the 982 or was that CCC's ,MTD's idea. Like John said earler I guess it's all there to help with the heat
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

All that tin is what directs the cooling air around the cylinders. It will not cool properly without it. All the tin on the engine is Kohlers. The muffler shroud tin is Cubs; you need that to keep the heat moving out the front as well.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

Tom,
Exactly!

The rain finally let up today. Got the super out and cut the grass.
Gotta love the smell of MMO and fresh cut grass.
IMAG0412.jpg
We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Well today is the first day it hasn't rain in about a week so after mowing the yard I thought I'd get the 982's out for a picture . They're still dirty , but I tried to hide them in the shade so it wouldn't be so noticable .
Yeah I like my supers . :)
Attachments
Sscn3583.jpg
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

hawgwilde
First and Last Name: Chris Spencer

Post by hawgwilde »

Just picked up a 2072 a couple of weeks ago..pretty good shape, except for the drive shaft..in the process of rebuilding it now..have all the parts,just waiting on the drive shaft to be repaired..a good power wash,re-tighten all the nuts and bolts, add a few pieces I have stashed away, and should be good to go..Can't Wait!!!
Attachments
IMG_4961 (Small).JPG
IMG_4985 (Small).JPG
IMG_4989 (Small).JPG
IMG_4997 (Small).JPG
"You can only drive one at a time..Why do you have so many?"..wifespeak

BThein
First and Last Name: Bob Thein

Post by BThein »

I just picked up my second Super,a 2084 to go with the 1872 .Did some work on the wiring harness and cleaned it up a bit came with the 60'' haban deck and a 451 blower still lots to do but they are great machines.

Bob
Attachments
2084 6-5-11 003 (Small).jpg

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

Jess hooked me up with a smaller mower deck a few weeks ago. It cleaned up really well and looks good on the super. I'm going to add some front wheel brackets on it sometime this summer when the growing grass slows down. Maybe some new decals.
Attachments
IMG_0049 (640x480).jpg
Adrian

mjbkm1
First and Last Name: Mike Morse

Post by mjbkm1 »

I have to agree i just got my 1st Super GT a few months ago and love it I place it in the early 90's it is a 2182 and love it as much as my green and yellow but Ilove all the Classic Garden Tractors when I got it it it looked really bad dents in it fender deck bent but I it looks as good as new just missing the finishin touches.
028.jpg
029.jpg
038.jpg
039.jpg

red82s

Post by red82s »

Mike that super is very nice. You'll have to post a pic when you get it all put together. I'd love to see that at a plow day.
Adrian

weaverama
First and Last Name: Richard Weaver

Post by weaverama »

Thought it was time to take a picture of mine and enter this thread. I took the Haban and mule off it last night just to see what it looks like without. Pretty lean and mean, eh?

Weave
Attachments
0730110843b (2).jpg
0730110843b (2).jpg (62.4 KiB) Viewed 10110 times
2072 Super
682 Red CCC

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

The picture isn't the best but here goes anyway! last week I was at Sears waiting for the other half in stores un-known and I saw this item in the clearance rack. I figured for 9.95 it was worth it for the front of the 1872! Of-course I bought all they had (2) I'm not sure if I will put the other one on the 782D or??? All it took to mount was to open 2 holes from 3/8" to 1/2"!
Attachments
DSCF2897 (Small).JPG
DSCF2900 (Small).JPG

mjbkm1
First and Last Name: Mike Morse

Post by mjbkm1 »

I guess I should put an updated pic of the 2182 Super on here I really wanted that blue ribbon for best of show last weekend at the show (LOL yeah I dont think so no such thing ) I told my 2 girls so they whent and made me one for the weekend but all the rain ruined that too this past weekend was just bad all the way around but at least I got to spend it with them and now my oldest whants a littel maytag engine to go out next year so it will be the tractors and the hit & miss engines too ugh...... well there only young once..
IMAG0068 - Copy.jpg

juniors1282
First and Last Name: Eric Ferguson

Post by juniors1282 »

Here's my 1872. Got it a couple months ago with a blown mag in it. Found an 1806 parts donor Sunday and got it repowered yesterday.
Attachments
8-17-11 00002.JPG
One man's junk is another man's tractor!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Eric - Very nice. Is that the corner of a Haban blade rear mount I see sticking up in the corner where the footrest meets the fender?
<><

juniors1282

Post by juniors1282 »

Thanks Tom, No those are just the rear mounts for the deck.

red82s

Post by red82s »

Those mounts should be for the haban deck and haban blade.
Adrian

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Adrian - That is what is suspected, but I have not yet had the pleasure of having a Haban 60" deck. Now I have another reason to get one; my mounts are already in place for the Haban blade. Now if I weren't out of storage room...

Eric - I think you now have an excuse to find a Haban blade!
<><

juniors1282

Post by juniors1282 »

Adrian, never had a Haban blade to know that :mrgreen: . Tom I couldn't agree more on the blade. I just traded for a blower for it Thurs. I should have it home this week sometime. Not even sure which model I'm getting just know it came off a super, and it's in great shape. I'll get some picture's up when I get it home.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Eric - The model is real important. Early tractors (GT and SGTs) had a 4.6" outer diameter (OD) front pto pulley. Later tractors (Ser. No. 821,060 and after) had a 6" diameter front pto pulley. This change and serial number occurred several years into the Cyclops series. Although this was a design improvement, it has created an attachment nightmare for the unaware collector.

The belt speed produced by the larger 6" pto is much greater, so Cub changed the ratio of the attachments that went with those tractors. In the case of the snow blowers, the early blower that is correct for your 1872 would be a model number 450. The later tractors with the 6" pulley used a number 451 snow blower (later upgraded to a 551) that is identical except for the gear ratio of the main gearbox.

The gears to change the ratios are NLA, and a 451 won't work with the small pto you should have; trust me, I got burned by this when I mistakenly bought a 451 before this became a hobby. The 451 with the 4.6" pto will only throw the snow about 10 feet. I had to go shopping again and find my 450.

These items are getting old enough that I won't even trust equipment tags; the gearboxes could have been swapped out. I would measure the ratio before I bought the blower. The easy check is that a 450 (which you need) will have 1.87 turns of input pulley of the blower to effect 1 turn of the fan. The 451 has 2.58 turns of input pulley for 1 turn of the fan.
<><

bcampbell
First and Last Name: Bryan Campbell

my 1872

Post by bcampbell »

i sold this one and missed it bought another one just like it my wife told me i had to sell the 147 so its in the for sale part but i love these tractors
Attachments
Multimed.jpg
Multimed 1.jpg

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Well guys after a year or more the 1872 LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!! No power steering leaks no nocks no smoke just a bad gov :banghead: One auto valve leaks, but other than that everything seems to be as it should for a 20 + old tractor.

So I have another mag out of a sears, going to try and get it in this weekend. Im going to work like a dog to get this runable this weekend.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Well found the problem, cant figure out how one weight is out of place. Im guessing the gear broke for what ever. If you reember this eng was full of water, under water. Anyway it runs real smooth even at over speed. The berrings are a mess!
Attachments
101_0632.jpg
rust on cam
rust on cam
I think I can polish this out.
I think I can polish this out.
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

And heres the sears motor. A huge mouse nest Im guessing it was over heated and blew the seal out. Look at the oil and dirt under the stater! I dont know weather to put a new seal in it and try it, or just order a gov monday and put the boat ancher back togeather.
Attachments
1217111240.jpg
1217111252.jpg
-Andrew Jackson

weaverama
First and Last Name: Richard Weaver

Post by weaverama »

Super Meats.jpg
Here is my 2072 after slapping on some new Tru-Powers and filling them each with 7.5 gallons of RV antifreeze. Wheel weights and chains will go on later this season and then we wait for snow so I can pull the neighborhood kids around on their sleds through the farm fields. I must have had 10 tied in line behind me last year. Great fun except for getting stuck. Not this year!

Hey Vince,

I've never been afraid to show my ignorance or learn something new so for those of us who rarely get inside a motor to that extent ........ what is the part you are holding in your hand and what is an "auto valve"? Thanks for posting the pics.

Weaverama
2072 Super
682 Red CCC

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

The part he is holding is the governor weight assembly that connects to a shaft that then connects to the carb. The auto-valve would be an automatic relief valve on the hydro.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Rich

Yes its the gov gear. Frank and I did a valve job on the heads today. I ran the bottle hone threw them, we had to cut both exaust seats. Tomorrow Ill try and get some pics for you of what Im doing. I really want this running next weekend. We had all the parts I needed in stock.

I need some valves for the tranny pump. I really dont care if they are auto valves. Im almost positive I dont have any. I need to look up the pto and see if it is the same on our cubs, if so Id trade that. I dont need PTO's.
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Rich

ot a text from my buddy BB and he told me to replace the gov and oil pump, I agree, but this mower didnt have but like maybe 200 hrs on it. We have a bore scope in the shop that we can use to aid in our trouble shooting time. Hers Frank playin with one of his many tools.
IMG_0017.JPG
Now this will let us look up into crank cases for "No oil runs" and valve problems, ect. Here you can see how nice the gov looks not that burnt brown like the other one was. Also I can look at the cam shaft and tappets.
DIGI0071.JPG
tappets and cam
DIGI0073.JPG
We can also do movies on it to show customers that dont belive us. I had to recut my intake seats to get the valve lash correct.
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

and just a few more cause people like pic's
valve keepers
valve keepers
cylinder jug, this is my first mag eng being into, aint bad.
IMG_0008.JPG
heres the valve seats after cutting them
IMG_0007.JPG
the intake valve, the grey strip is where the lapping is, and the contact is made
IMG_0004.JPG
-Andrew Jackson

vince_o

Post by vince_o »

Well Im on my way to coolness! Motor runs good, still needs some carb adiusting, and rpms adjusted , but this thing flys! Still a log way to go got to get the front wheels on it and the rears. I really like to power steering, Vince turned it so fast he almost hit the well house! :roll: Hes hooked on it all ready. Dony you just love the low rider look with the 6 12's :lol:
Attachments
000_0656.jpg
1230111338.jpg
000_0657.jpg
-Andrew Jackson

rharris
First and Last Name: Rick Harris

Post by rharris »

Vince, riding around on that super, you'll be dripping with coolness. Looks like a solid machine.
Building my Cub Cadet fleet....one bolt at a time.