1811 unknown condition...opinions?

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
eplummer
First and Last Name: Eric Plummer

1811 unknown condition...opinions?

Post by eplummer »

Hi Everybody,
My father picked this 1811 up last week for the low price of free! :thumbsup:bup:I don't think he has much interest in it other than the price was right. I haven't seen it in person and don't even know if it is a runner or a roller at this point. The battery was cut out so that is one obstacle to overcome. Would love anyone to weigh in and express their opinion on the pros and cons of this model of tractor. I Think the seat and side panels are there, but tragically any attachments were scrapped.
Thanks
Eric
image.jpg
image.jpg (7.73 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
Last edited by eplummer on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mcamp
First and Last Name: Mark Campbell

Re: 1811 unknown condition...opinions?

Post by Mcamp »

The 1811 is a very good tractor,lots of power,38in. to 50in. decks,. top of the line garden tractor from 1987-1989

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

If it runs and dosnt smoke, Ill buy it for a dollar!
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Eric , don't pay Vince no mind , he's been smelling exhaust fumes for to long . :lol:
I second Marks opinion on the 1811 , which is basically a later yellow and white version of the 782 , which in my opinion was one of the best cubs ever made .
You'll like the hydro lift , and if it runs is worth putting a 50C deck on , and getting other attachments later if you end up keeping it .
If it turns out to be unrepairable or to costly to repair , you have a very nice parts machine with a lot of desireable parts .
You can't go wrong when its FREE . :beer:
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

mmzullo
First and Last Name: Mike Marzullo

Post by mmzullo »

I love my 1811! Mine was also free! Just check the trans mounting bolts. Has a rebuilt 18 mag engine(PO) in it. Trans was falling out. He thought the hydro was shot.

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Thanks for the input everyone. By the sound of things Dad stumbled onto a good find. Next question, will attachments from a 1650 fit the 1811.
Thanks
Eric

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

Depends on the attachment... the plow is a direct go aside from the lift rod being different. the tiller on the other hand wont bolt up to the 1811 because the 1811 has the aluminum trans. not to say an adapter couldnt be made.... or a cast iron trans bolted in instead! So it depends on what all you have for attachments
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

I have a snowblower from the 1650 will that match up?
Thanks

Jlaws
First and Last Name: Jess Laws

Post by Jlaws »

Eric , that should match up , I have a QA42A snowblower off an older cub ( 129 ) that is now on one of my 82 series cubs . I had to change out the PTO belt pulley on the snowblower which was for a 1/2 belt , that was used on the early wide frames . I bought a cast one from Ray that was for a 5/8 belt to match up with the Cubs 5/8 belt PTO pulley .
You could use a 1/2 belt , but I'm not sure if it'll slip or not when used on the 5/8" 1811 PTO ??
The only other thing that might be different that I can think of is the lift rod length , I also know some have a bend in them to clear the side panels .
good luck ;)
I see a lot of cub cadets while going down the tracks , its a shame I can't pull over and ask about them .

eplummer

Post by eplummer »

Thanks for all the information so far. I am anxious to see if I can get a look at this tractor up close soon. Are the 1811 susceptible to the same engine mount issues as the quiet lines are over time?
Thanks
Eric

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

The 1811's engine are bolted solid.... the twin cylinder made for a smoother running engine with less vibration. However it still used rag joints and self aligning brgs in the drive train that are prone to falling apart from old age or if the bolts get loose on the engine it will start to thrash itself to peices.

dave
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......