replacing hydro with used unit vs installing new shaft opin

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
drcjv
First and Last Name: Charles Venezia

replacing hydro with used unit vs installing new shaft opin

Post by drcjv »

Just removed the charge pump shaft is shot. I see two options get a used hydro or install new shaft. any thoughts. I believe used pump will be cheaper.
1572 3pnt rear PTO 50" deck, 1772 3pnt 50" deck, 1872 3pnt 44" deck, 2072 50" deck, three brinly 3pnt plows, 54 inch snow plow, cat 0 york rake.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: replacing hydro with used unit vs installing new shaft

Post by ksanders »

What model? If its a standard garden tractor without hydro lift a used pump is dirt cheap. If its a standard garden tractor with hydro lift ports still usually well under $100. If its a Super Garden tractor you might start considering fixing it as those things are less common and sometimes people try to get $200 or so from them.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

drcjv

Post by drcjv »

Its a 1572 the used pump is 300 a new shaft alone is 300 plus install. Also trying to decide if pump can come out without removing rear. I have 3pt and rear pto.
1572 3pnt rear PTO 50" deck, 1772 3pnt 50" deck, 1872 3pnt 44" deck, 2072 50" deck, three brinly 3pnt plows, 54 inch snow plow, cat 0 york rake.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I won't say the pump can't come out without removing the rear, but I wouldn't try it, or you will probably end up doing it twice. It is really hard to get the pump guided
into the rear without messing up the gasket. The best way I have found is to have the rear tipped up so that you are going straight down with the pump. I'm sure others
have other experiences, but this is what has worked best for me and I have done quite a few of them.

Where have you priced the new shaft? If you can get in touch with a Saurer Danfoss distributor, they may be cheaper than from Cub Cadet.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

otep858
First and Last Name: Paul Hansen

Post by otep858 »

i have a hydro with pump out of a 1541 that i am getting ready to sell. if you interested id sell them (hydro and charge pump) together for 150 or so plus whatever the shipping price is. wouldnt be able to send it out for a couple of weeks tho as im out of town with work at the moment. i think i even have a extra charge pump seal that i could throw in. let me know. my email is paulhansen31@gmail.com

otep858
First and Last Name: Paul Hansen

Post by otep858 »

forgot to mention but it has the hydro ports on it. for the lift and streering

drcjv

Post by drcjv »

I finished drive shaft converstion not too bad. I changed because charge pump shaft was bad and leaking. First I changed hydro pump to newer style. It was cheaper than replacing charge pump shaft. Next I had engine adapter plate made. Non to be found. Cost for plate $50. Took a drive shaft from a cyclops and had to shorten it by about an inch. Last I had collor made to put the two halves together which was another $35. Now it works great no vibration at all.