Any Onan experts out there?

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Hardrock
First and Last Name: Michael Weakley

Any Onan experts out there?

Post by Hardrock »

Just got done wrenching together all my leftover parts to use as a backup mower while the good tractor
gets a complete restoration. Kind of a Heinz 57 type thing. I started with a 1512 frame and front axle.
I'm using an Onan B48G twin to power it, along with the matching wiring harness from a 982.
I swapped a 149 ported pump, carrier, and coarse spline axles into a 680 aluminum rear end,
in order to save the good stuff for a CI rear end I wanted to build.
I pulled the twin spool hydraulics in favor of a single spool setup, for another build, as well.
Sheetmetal came from a 680 mostly, and everything else came from the spare parts pile.

It's together, and it runs good, it charges, the pump is quiet, everything is adjusted up and it steers well.
The problem I'm having is getting the governor set correctly. Everything from the throttle cable
clear to the carb is OEM straight from a 982. It hunts, it won't rev like it should, and never comes
back to idle every time. There's plenty of resistance on the governor arm when I manually bring
the RPM's up, and it isn't binding anywhere. It appears that the governor itself is working, but I just
can't seem to get handle on the adjustment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Any Onan experts out there?

Post by Farmallgray »

The onans are known for governor problems. I had a 982 that I fooled with for quite a while and never did get it working to my satasfaction even using the Onan manual. So I traded it for my diesel and never looked back. I have heard rumors that there is something internal with the governor that goes bad. You may want to check on the weekend freedom machines site. I have heard that some of the jd guys have come up with ways to cure the problem.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Hardrock
First and Last Name: Michael Weakley

Re: Any Onan experts out there?

Post by Hardrock »

I'm kind of thinking the same thing, now that I've read up some on the Onan governor issues.
Appears to be a common ailment for these engines.

There seems to be a "loose" spot at the very beginning of the governor arm's travel. Just
enough to cause it to wander a little. Eventually it starts to pull back, but not until the engine
is running well over normal idle speed. I can go full throttle, it will rev up and then pull the RPM's back,
but when I bring it to an idle, it idles for a moment, then revs up to what would normally be 1/2 throttle.

I've compared it to my other 982 with a replacement P220, and everything is set exactly the same.
If I had to describe this governor in one word, it would be "slow". Like it isn't synchronized with the
RPM band this engine is designed to operate in. The only thing I can think of to make the governor
appear slow, or out of synch, would be if the fly-ball/cup/spacer mechanism isn't spinning the same
RPM as the camshaft.
Looks like I'll be pulling the back end off and inspecting the fly-ball spacer...

Thanks for the input, Farmallgray.

BTW, I like my P220, but I love the Cub diesels more! Hence the multiple engine swaps going on at my place.
My IH 982 (986) gets the Kubota diesel out of this 1512,....the wifey's CCC 982 gets the good P220 that's in mine now,
and the lone B48G got stuck in the remains of this 1512 backup mower.
If I can just get this governor issue fixed, I think I'll be set. Got all next winter to restore the two Red machines...