2182 wiring diagram/schematic?

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
KYDave
First and Last Name: David Arens

2182 wiring diagram/schematic?

Post by KYDave »

Hello all, I'm troubleshooting a PTO issue and can't seem to find a wiring diagram anywhere online. If anyone knows where I can obtain one, I'd very much appreciate it.

In the meantime, I'll lay out the problem, maybe one of you has seen it before.

PTO was working fine, I was mowing a section of trail back in the woods, nothing real rough but a branch must have been under the leaves and popped the PTO belt off one of the front pulleys. I was just about finished anyway so I parked it and put the belt back on. The next week when I went to mow the PTO switch won't hold in the "run" position. The PTO will work if I hold the switch, and sometimes the switch will hold in the run position by itself for a while. I removed the switch, blew out the connector and still had the same issue.

Since that didn't work, I figure I'll have to start checking the safety switches, relays etc... That's where the diagram comes in.

Thanks for any help!

And BTW, looking around this site has me wondering if my father in law would let me haul away the old Cub he has parked out behind the shed...

Dave

kbrothers
First and Last Name: Ken Brothers

Re: 2182 wiring diagram/schematic?

Post by kbrothers »

make sure when the belt came off it didn't damage the wire feeding power to the pto Had that problem with my 2082 when a deck belt shredded hope this helps ken in pa

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Im with Ken double check that wire in the front feeding power.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Usually when they act like that the relay is bad or has a dirty connection.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Main Tractor Harness
2182 main.pdf
(519.58 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
Dash harness
2182 ind.pdf
(417.61 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
Relay add-on diagram to cure electrical problems.
2182 upd.pdf
(876.34 KiB) Downloaded 567 times
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

Thanks for the replies, and especially for posting the diagrams!

The connection at the clutch: it is damaged. Looks like it came into contact with the moving belt which wore a groove in the connector. No bare wire anywhere, but while the two pieces of the connector still "connect" it looks like one of the blades is loose, it gets crooked when you push it together and won't fully seat into the female side. I'm not sure this is the issue, it seems to me if it was a bad connection here the PTO wouldn't run at all, right now it'll run if I hold the switch on. Either way, it needs to be replaced.

The relay: With me off the seat and the key on, I could feel it clicking when I engaged the PTO, but I had to head into town anyway so I took the old one off to see if I could find a spare. Neither Autozone or Advance auto stocked the original Bosch and didn't have whatever relay their computer said was a match (I think it was a Borg-Warner part #) in stock. I decined to order one, figured If I end up needing one I'll try to locate the Bosch. As a note, when I got back home, I connected/disconnected the relay a few times before leaving it connected just to see if if it might clean the contact points. After doing that, the PTO ran long enough to mow a couple laps of the yard before it quit again. Not that that means anything, it's done that before just not for that long.

Time to study those diagrams...

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

OK, some questions on the "main" diagram for anyone that might know. Question 1- Is the "Rev Relay" the relay to check for my PTO issue? I don't see another on the diagram and only found one on the tractor, but mine is 5 pin and the picture shows a 4. Question 2- What is the component labeled "Mag" with a red/white lead going to it? I know there changes within the run of this model and a number of things depend on the date of manufacture so maybe that accounts for the differences.

Thanks again for all the help, this tractor runs great but it's starting to show it's age and I want to keep it mowing for as long as I can.

Dave

First and Last Name: Sam McCleary

Post by 9803412 »

Dave

I also have a 2182. I took the harness and tossed it in the trash can. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you my diagram. Just one notice it has no safety stuff so use it it at your own risk.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Im with Sam I make my own harness to go into my supers.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

Rev Relay. This connects the PTO to power as long as the PTO switch is on AND the tractor is going forward AND there is someone in the seat. If you have the PTO on and get off the seat it stops the PTO, If you start backing up with the PTO on the rev switch trips the relay and stops the PTO.

Mag - The grounding point for the ignition. When this gets grounded through the key switch the engine shuts down.

Problem areas in the harness on ALL the cyclops tractors is the connector on the ignition switch (high current flow through rusty contacts and you get flaky problems as well as a melted connector and failed contacts)
The PTO switch, which causes the problem you have as well as not letting the engine start while the switch is off.

That relay is a common unit, The 5 pin is the common Bosch unit (commonly used for a variety of tasks, fog lights, add on stuff.) The 4 pins shown are the ones connected, the 5th isn't used. BUT if you wanted to test if it is that relay, jump the connection from pin 30 to pin 87 with a chunk of wire. That will bypass the contacts and tell you if the relay is failing.

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

That is mighty good information Mr. Williams. Like I said, the only issues I've ever had with this thing have been electrical. It runs like a beast.

A few years back I was having starting issues... I had to turn the key off and on a few times before it would (finally) fire like nothing was wrong. Eventually it got to the point it wouldn't start at all. I'm only fair when it comes to diagnosing electrical issues, and I was worse back then. After replacing the brake switch and the ignition switch with no result (Yeah I know) I took the easy way, put in a starter button and haven't had a starting problem since.

Around that same time I was having the same issue I'm having now and (following my M.O.) replaced the PTO switch. It didn't fix the issue. Oddly enough the tractor needed a new battery about the same time and I put in an automotive battery that the book at the shop said was a replacement. I also replaced both battery cables with bigger diameter versions. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but the PTO issue went away until now.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave - There is a multi-pin connector that connects the harness in the dash tower to the harness in the frame. It is located at the base of the tower and has every wire from the dash to the tractor frame. On mine, the pins were no longer making good contact inside the connector on some of them. It was bad enough that I had some burn marks inside the connector from arcing.

The pins are quite small and close together, and the connector was not intended to be accessible ever again once the tractor was built. I gave up on trying to tighten and clean the female connector and cut both ends off. They need to be cut off as close as possible to the connector because they didn't waste much wire there.

After removing the factory connectors I carefully crimped new insulated male/female connectors on the remaining wires. This is quite difficult to do correctly reaching down around the steering column, but it is doable. You also now need to be real careful about connecting the right terminals to each other. Keep your schematic handy and note the colors on each side of the connector as I believe some are different on each side. After stripping the wires I always use a dielectric grease on both the wires and the mating ends of the spade terminals. If Cub had used the dielectric grease on all the connections, we probably wouldn't have many of these wiring issues.

If you don't have enough wire to make up the connections just make short jumper wires with connectors at each end. Insulated spade terminals hold up really well especially when protected by dielectric grease, so I wouldn't be concerned with the need to add more connectors due to using the jumpers.

For crimping get a good for real crimping tool (like Klein or Greenlee, commonly available at Home Depot, etc.). There are some real crap crimping tools out there which will just perpetuate the same problems. All electrical contact points should have dielectric grease and be a tight connection. Otherwise you will just get corrosion and resistance and more electrical issues.

Fixing this connector and upgrading my batter cables solved all my electrical woes.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

Thank you Sir, that connector sounds like the infamous (and usually melted) "bulkhead" connector on IH Scout IIs. IH ran just about everything from the engine bay to the rest of the truck through one big connector at the firewall. This included a wire which carried the full output of the alternator to the ammeter gauge. When resistance got too high on that one, it turned everything to goo. In one of my Scouts I installed a new dash harness (and a voltmeter, just jumpered the old ammeter) and replaced the giant plug using "crimp and shrink" ring connectors and a terminal block. I made sure to label each wire with the factory wire number using little slips of paper and clear shrink tubing so I could still use the factory service manual for future troublshooting.

I'll take a look at the connector on the tractor tonight and see how bad it is.

Thanks again to all for the help with this thing. A lot of great information here and I appreciate your time.

Dave

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

I was finally able to take a good look at the 2182 today. Since I knew the PTO connector needed to be replaced ( it had been damaged by the belt and one of the male terminals wouldn't seat properly) I figured I'd start there. The connections I had were 2 green wires from the main harness to one black wire on the PTO pigtail, and one blue wire from the harness to another black wire on the PTO pigtail. According to the diagram, blue was power and although the ground wasn't labled with a color, elsewhere in the schematic grounds were shown as green so I figured it was the same here.
Damaged PTO to main harness connector. I had already cut the PTO side connections.
Damaged PTO to main harness connector. I had already cut the PTO side connections.
Since both wires were black I put a ziptie on the ground so I would know which was which. I'd get them mixed up for sure otherwise.
Since both wires were black I put a ziptie on the ground so I would know which was which. I'd get them mixed up for sure otherwise.

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

After cutting the connector off the PTO clutch side, I pulled the harness side out of the left side of the tractor just behind the battery pedestal. This gave me a little more slack and made it easier to work. I usually like using shrink and crimp connectors like those made for marine applications, but in this case due to time constraints and a yard that was rapidly returning to it's native prairie state, I used what I could find at the local auto parts place. I ended up with push together terminals ( I wanted something I could take apart easily if I ever have to replace the PTO clutch) that had a plastic housing where one side fit inside the other. They did not shrink when heat was applied and I nearly ruined one determining that. Since the terminals didn't shrink, I slid on some shrink tubing before crimping the ends on.

I decided to do the ground connection first. After both sides were complete, I terminated the power connection on the PTO clutch side. Now, the final wire was the blue power wire on the harness side. The original connector was still attached and when I pulled on it to straighten the wire before I cut it, the connector popped off in my hand. The wire was corroded and must have been hanging on by a thread. I took this as a pretty good sign that I was on the right track.

I still didn't really trust the "weathertight" ends so just before connecting the PTO pig tail to the main harness I slid on a larger piece of shrink tubing that when shrunk, would cover both sides of each terminal, hopefully helping to keep them connected and keeping moisture and dirt out as long as possible.
Terminal and shrink tubing
Terminal and shrink tubing
Connected without shrink tubing over terminals
Connected without shrink tubing over terminals
Attachments
Terminals connected and shrink tubing shrunk
Terminals connected and shrink tubing shrunk
Last edited by KYDave on Sun May 19, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

As backup, I had purchased an on/off toggle (one of the cool aircraft style ones with a cover) an inline fuse and some heavy 14ga wire. As I said before, I'm not much good at Sherlocking electrical gremlins and I was prepared to bypass the whole mess if I had to. After the power wire had come out of the original connector with a slight tug, I was confident that that connection was the cause of my PTO issue. I was pretty excited to fire it up and see if the PTO was working.

I sat down, turned the key to run, hit the starter button (told ya) and the motor cranked but wouldn't fire. I turned off the key, turned it to run again and listened. It was quiet, too quiet. No happy fuel pump whine, and no dash lights either.

Poop.

I'll update again soon, but here's a preview...
It's usually around this time that my wife gets that concerned look and suddenly quits talking when she's on the phone with her mother and I walk in the room.
It's usually around this time that my wife gets that concerned look and suddenly quits talking when she's on the phone with her mother and I walk in the room.

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

A quick note, one thing I meant to add last night but forgot, was to say that I'm probably (as much as I hate to) going to redo the connection at the PTO clutch. After I had completed doing it yesterday, I realized I had terminated both PTO side wires with female terminals and both main harness side wires with male terminals. Since both PTO wires are black, it makes much more sense to terminate one male and one female. That way, if both black wires are ever unplugged at the same time there will be no confusion about which is ground and which is power since each will ONLY connect to it's mate on the harness side.

Live and learn eh?

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

So I stopped at the point where I tried to start the tractor after replacing the PTO clutch connections. As I alluded to previously, a few years ago I installed a starter button after becoming frustrated trying to troubleshoot an ignition issue. Now, the starter button would spin the motor but the motor would not fire. I noticed that when I turned the key to "run" I didn't hear the usual fuel pump whine, the dash lights didn't come on, nothing. I first checked the main fuse. I have had that fuse blow before where it wasn't apparent by looking at it so sine I had a new one handy, I just replaced it. Still nothing, not going to be that easy.

Since I had just done some work at the PTO clutch my next thought was that I must have screwed something up because the mower started just fine before. I didn't think that a mistake with the power feed would cause starting issues so I started at the ground connection. I thought maybe it was the same ground from the ignition switch and maybe a poor job putting on the connector was causing a grounding issue. I ran a jumper ( I always keep some lengths of scrap wire around for stuff like this) from the battery negative to the ground position on the ignition switch. This also had no effect.

After staring at the wiring diagram for about 12oz, I grabbed the test light and started checking the power "Red wire" circuit. Power at the battery, check. Power at both sides of the fuse, check. Power at the "mag" connector, check. Power at the ignition switch, nope.

Hmm. Power at the main harness to dash harness connector that Mr. Scott told me was a problem? I couldn't tell because when I was fumbling around with it trying to get it disconnected so I could put the probe on it the " red wire" just fell off both sides of the connector. I put the test probe on the wire that should be hot (Main harness side) and it was. At that point I disconnected and removed the entire dash harness.
You can see the red wire on the right just as it came loose from the connector. It's  corroded pretty badly.
You can see the red wire on the right just as it came loose from the connector. It's corroded pretty badly.
A closeup of the connector showing the burned pin. It also looks like another pin is on it way out, it's the red and white wire on the diagram.
A closeup of the connector showing the burned pin. It also looks like another pin is on it way out, it's the red and white wire on the diagram.
I posted a picture of the dash harness as it came out in a previous post.

Next installment when I can.

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

So back to it. I pulled the section of harness that runs under the dash pedestal. There are two connections at the guage cluster, one at the reverse safety switch, one connector plus a ground at the ignition switch, two connectors at the PTO switch the connector to the main harness and another back to the rear harness. If you happen to have a young child around with skinny arms and long fingers count your blessings. If you have forearms like hams and fingers like sausages you might as well throw a few bucks in the cuss jar before you get started.

Once I got it out and inspected it, I found it was in OK shape overall. With the exception of the bad connections it was just dirty with partially unwrapped tape. After blowing the crust off with the air nozzle and rewrapping with new tape I test fit it back in place to make sure I had enough wire length to reconnect the two wires (red and red with white stripe) that I had cut at the connector. Tom Scott was right, they didn't waste any wire at the factory but it looked like I had enough.

I took the harness inside since it was dark by now and remembering my mistake with the PTO wire connections I crimped a female connector on the red and a male on the red/white even though they (obviously) weren't the same color.

Next day after work I had about an hour to mess with it before I had to take my daughter to her softball game. I figured if I hurried up a little I could terminate the two wires on the main harness and get everything reconnected and tested before I had to leave. I started terminating the red wire on the main harness and made sure to check that it needed a male connector. I got it crimped on and shrink wrapped and then discovered that I should have double checked because I had actually crimped on a female connector. That's what I get for rushing. Not only did I have to cut off the connector and lose more wire on an already short connection, but it was my last female connector. So that mistake set me back a whole day because I didn't have time for a parts run until the next day.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave - It sounds like you are doing a quality job. I still strongly recommend dielectric grease smeared on every wire before crimping and on every spade/pin/whatever terminal before sliding them together. The dielectric grease will prevent future corrosion.

Permatex makes it and it is usually grouped with the Permatex sealant stuff in auto stores.

There are probably many reading this are tired of me beating this dead horse, but I have had great success using this stuff. :beathorse: :beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

KYDave

Post by KYDave »

Tom, I agree. I keep a small tube of it in my wiring toolbox and use it on just about everything that carries a current. People who only own new things or people who prefer/can afford to send work to a shop might not realize it, but those of us who work on "vintage" equipment know that an oz of prevention (or dielectric grease on the connector or anti seize on the threads) will save a lot of cussing later. I wish they used it at the factory, but then we wouldn't have fun like this, right?

Back to the 2182...

Next day after work I picked up some more terminals. Since it was much easier to work on the removed dash harness than the few inches of wire sticking out of the tractor frame I decided to replace the terminal there to match the mistake on the tractor. I tried to "uncrimp" the terminal but it was pretty well locked on. I ended up cutting it, but managed to do it only losing about 5/16 or so of wire.
Dash harness after cleaning up, new tape and 2 new connectors.
Dash harness after cleaning up, new tape and 2 new connectors.
Two wires (red and red white stripe) from the main harness with new connectors.
Two wires (red and red white stripe) from the main harness with new connectors.
Reinstalling the dash harness was about as much fun as getting it out, maybe even more since the new tape stiffened it up and it wasn't nearly as flexible. But it eventually went in. You have to be careful of the radiator, the fins are sharp and if a wire rests against it I'm pretty sure they would cut the insulation after a while.
Dash harness back in.
Dash harness back in.
Apparently those bad connections were the issue because after I put the harness back in the fuel pump kicked on when I turned the key, the tractor fired up like it should and the PTO stayed on when I engaged it. The engine actually seemed to run better with the new wires, it had kind of an occasional miss before and that seems to have cleared up. I'll have to study the diagrams again to figure out if that's possible, but it sure seems like it.

Now that I'm a little more familiar with the harness on this thing I won't hesitate to dig into it in the future should any more issues arise. I even thought about just redoing the whole thing to avoid future problems, but this is a working mower and I'm poor, I can only afford to fix it when it's broke. I did dream of replacing all the original connectors with these: http://www.delcity.net/store/Weather-Pa ... s/p_797635 maybe next time. If I were to do it again, I'd add some wire length between the dash and main harness and relocate the connector, maybe to the frame cross member under the radiator so it was easier to get to.
Yep. Could use a wash.
Yep. Could use a wash.
Thanks to all that replied, ya'll know your stuff and I really appreciate it.

Dave

Zebra1
First and Last Name: Kurt Warner

Post by Zebra1 »

9803412 wrote:Dave

I also have a 2182. I took the harness and tossed it in the trash can. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you my diagram. Just one notice it has no safety stuff so use it it at your own risk.
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2182 which would not even click at the starter let alone turn over. The PO had the seat off with jumpers in the safety switches, Brake safety switch was hanging under tractor. After reading all the excellent posts on here I tested for power and found none at the ignition switch. I went right to the main harness plug and sure enough the power wire was broken. I cut out the whole plug and replaced with spade connectors. ***Dielectric grease was used*** I now have the solenoid at the starter clicking but that's it.
- PO removed the starter, I had it tested - it's good - installed
- PO installed new battery. Don't know if it's the right size but it's new.
- Fuel pump works

-Dash light says Depress brake pedal even though I'm holding the switch closed. The solenoid clicks when it's closed but won't if I let it open.

I would like to eliminate all the safety switches, I've been utilizing Gravely's for a long time!

Being that the starter solenoid clicks makes me believe it's not a safety switch issue but what is it then?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I'll continue to clean / replace connections.

Thanks,

Kurt

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

OK, if both seat switches are jumpered you have an issue. When an operator is in the seat one switch closes and the other one opens. When weight comes off the seat they reverse. There is also a switch inside the dash next to the forward/reverse lever. And then the brake switch (which also connects through the PTO switch... Confused yet???

The likely issue is the connector on the ignition switch, they rust and build up resistance until the plastic starts to melt. I've had a couple tractors where the plastic had flowed into the connectors and turned them into isolators!

Zebra1

Post by Zebra1 »

Thanks for the info!

I tested the brake switch, it is bad but I was able to make it function normally in one position. Taped the plunger in place.
When I pulled the wire from the solenoid and measured voltage with the key in the start position it was 12.45 V.
Replaced the wire and attempted to turn it over and it blew the fuse. The fuse that's in there is a 10. Is that the proper size?

Thanks!

Zebra1

Post by Zebra1 »

UPDATE!

I found that the fuse was supposed to be a 20A. - replaced

I removed one of the jumpers from the seat safety switches and it cranked and started immediatly!!

Thank you for your help!

Time to put the radiator back in and see how this thing goes!

Thanks,

Kurt

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Kurt,

if you have not already put the radiator back in, please check the water pump for bad bearings and or leaks.

My 2182 has a bad water pump, and I am curious as to what all has to be done to remove and reinstall the radiator. Please post some pics if you get a chance.

Welcome to the forum!

Vinny

Zebra1

Post by Zebra1 »

Vinny,

R&R of the radiator is pretty straight forward. Now that I've done it once it's probably 1/2 hr. max to get it out.

For reference right or left is from the drivers seat. Bolt size = wrench size.

Tools needed: 10mm wrench and socket. 16mm wrench (16mm socket w/universal and extension if you have it. not absolute) Pliers
-Radiator drain plug is on the right side lower corner, engine side.

-Remove both radiator hoses.

-Remove coolant overflow bottle (3) 10mm, (1) hose clamp.

-Remove metal engine cover on right side. (2) 10mm

-Remove metal engine cover on left side. (2) 10mm. This cover has the throttle and choke cable going through it, just slide it forward on the cables.

-Remove the last nut holding the shroud to the radiator, this is on the right side with a stabilizer bracket attached to it also. (1) 10mm

-Remove the lower mounting bolts of the radiator. These 2 come straight up from below and thread into the metal frame of the radiator. (2) 16mm Mine came out hard the whole way due to Loctite on the threads.

-Radiator should be completely free now. If not remove whatever I forgot to tell you about!!

-Slide shroud as far towards motor as possible over fan.

-Slide radiator out the LEFT side of tractor while moving shroud as needed. It's a tight fit but it comes out.

-Reverse the order after your water pump and you're homemade!

I'll try to post some pics at some point.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Thanks!!!

I have been putting this job off for a while, but you make it sound pretty easy. Will be looking forward to the pics.

Zebra1

Post by Zebra1 »

Hello,
This post is pretty old but I'm back on the 2182 wiring unfortunately. Long story short, harness melted into scrap, bought used one on Ebay, installed it and tractor starts and runs good. Electric PTO for mower = not so good. Won't engage so I check the wiring and this is what I find:

PTO Switch ON w/Fluke meter to ground, test at lead to clutch.
Double green wire to single = 16.6VAC
Blue wire = .56VAC

AC! Does this mean my rectifier is history? I jumped from my battery directly to the clutch and it engaged correctly. I checked the Extreme website and it says 13.2VDC to operate properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kurt

SWilliams

Post by SWilliams »

AC at the clutch isn't good. Sounds like the rectifier has at least one shorted diode.