3000 series

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

3000 series

Post by Farmallgray »

May going to look at a 3000 series tractor to buy. Price is right but it needs work. Don't know the model yet but it supposedly has the cast iron transaxle and a 60" deck. I was never around
the 3000 series much. Are there any particular problems I should be looking for? I remember some problems with the vacuum PTOs and that may be one of the problems with this one.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Re: 3000 series

Post by Paul B »

Todd,
I don't know much about them but my local dealer told me that they worked on more Sunstrand transmission problems in the 3000 series than they did with the Auto-Hydro transmission (I know that doesn't sound right) but I don't remember if it was the models with the aluminum case or cast iron case. Depending on the model, both cases were used with either hydro, so I guess depending on the model, the transmission could be an issue. Dealer suggested that the 2500 series was a better tractor so I bought a new "Darth Vader looking" 2544 about 5 years or so ago, didn't like it, and traded it for a Z-turn Enforcer model that I am not fond of either.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Todd, I recently picked up a 3225 for less money than the gas that it cost to go get it. Mine has a bad CH22 that I am currently replacing. The previous owner told me that the rear end had to be rebuilt at about 300 hours because the differential lock pedal was engaged while one tire was spinning. They are good comfortable tractors, and the power steering is awesome. The low hood line gives great visibility, and I like the shaft drive deck. The pto actuator is a vacuum/electric bellows assembly that tends to dry rot and tear, but lately I have not seen them selling for much more than $30.00 on evil bay. It is run off of a vacuum line on the intake, and I think a lot of the pto issues are mis-diagnosed as a switch or bellows when the problem is really a bad vac. hose.
Atatchments seem to be a little scarce, and pretty spendy. I am hoping that my son will help me with the mowing next year, and I think the step thru design, foot controls, and tilt wheel will make it a better fit for him. Unfortunately for me, I had him help me move some junkers around yesterday, and he sure does like the 2182 that I was planning on using. If you end up getting it and parting it out, let me know. I need a set of taillights.

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

I looked at it today. It is a 3225 but I couldn't tell for sure if it has the cast iron rear. I thought the ones with the aluminum rears were bare aluminum and the CI ones were painted black, but I could be wrong. It needs a battery. I didn't try starting it but the engine isn't locked up. There was an extra starter and an additional solenoid with it which made me scratch my head.
It has about 400 hrs on it and it isn't all beat up. Is missing one taillight lens. It has diff lock and the 60" deck. It only had 1 hyd valve so all it ever did was mow. If it can be had in the $500 range, I'll go for it. I can probably part it and still make out ok. I was thinking about an 18-22 hp Command in one of my pullers.

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

According to Hank's book, a 3225 was built in 98 & 99 and has a Sunstrand Hydro in a cast Aluminum case, with pedal actuated differential lock.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Well Todd I guess I was right on the 99 year.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

Farmallgray

Post by Farmallgray »

Using Hank's book and the serial # I determined it was built on April 14, 1999.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Todd, If your using it as a mower you will love it. It will mow better then any cub ever built and it is the only thing I mow my front yard with. On the early ones like this one, the deck rides the ground on casters up front and rollers on back that will stripe the yard. I had to rebuild the rollers on mine and didn't use the crappy setup that Cub did. I used sealed bearings, pipe and hose and have over 75 hours on them with no problem. Hanks book say that the hydro is a Sunstrand but mine looks like a Hydro-Gear and the part numbers all start with HG. I did not like the foot pedal drive system at first but I now love it. Steering is great with a tight radius and it doesn't use the pos mule drive belt, it uses a shaft like the 400 deer and G series Kubota's back to a gear box on the deck. No more rag joints either because they use a different system. Spool valves are stackable and you can have 3 on the left and some are using 3 on the right for a total of 6.(don't know why) The only issue on the 3K series with the rear locker is it will brake and destroy the case if not used like it should. Mine has it and I never use it. I have the 3205 with the liquid cooled Kawi. I would be all over that machine for that price but they don't exist much here in Georgia.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

the reason that theres not much in Ga, is cause youve bought it all! :lol:
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Todd I picked up a 3185 for a Rick Deal that needs a PTO engagement thingy. It's pretty rough but I would like to fix it for a mowing tractor, and maybe find a 3pt for it to move my trailer with. One of these day's maybe I will get to work on it, but I just haven't had any time lately to work on garden tractors.
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.