A "Super" Dilemma

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Dilemma, working through slowly...

Post by Tom Scott »

Ok, no posts in this CCC forum for about a week, so I will drone on a bit here...

I am moving along, I finally got done getting the 1861 ready for my friend. He picked it up Thursday and mowed that night, and he loves it! Pics make a forum, so I had to take a final pic of it in front of some of the approximately 48 cord of wood it has helped process over 12 years for me...
1861 with cart before selling.JPG
1861 with cart before selling.JPG (3.67 MiB) Viewed 10096 times
I never did get a pic with the 50C installed. It was the first time I had put anything but the 46" deck on it and it was gone the next day. It also got a new seat after this pic, much deserved.

As for my SGT search, I have a 2284 that I have my eye on. For those that have experience with both the Magnum and the Command, is the Command as smooth as the Magnum? An opposed twin is much easier to balance than a V-twin, but if done correctly, the V-twin should be smooth.

I also have a two 2086's that I could go look at, but I have read that they have a plastic cam gear that likes to let go at around 1000 hours. Any more thoughts about this Kawasaki FD620?

I have really enjoyed everyone's comments so far, thanks, Tom
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Re: A "Super" Dilemma

Post by bbaker »

I had a cherry 2284 a few years ago. It had about 500 hours on it and was garage kept. That 22hp Command didn't know the 60" deck was under it....

Was it smooth as a magnum? IDK it sure as heck ran good and made tons of power. Did I mention that tractor was cherry? :)

I'd like to build a 982 optioned out (prolly use an 1872) with a Command one of these days. Don't need it but I sure like RED tractors. :ugeek:
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Bryan - Thanks, I am currently torn between the 2284 or another 2182.

The 2284 is near perfect, the 2182 is very good, but over 6 hours away.

I have decided that the loader and 3 point must go together, so that means if I get the 2284 I have to move the loader and 3 point over to it to use my current 2182 for snowblower duty.

Or... I can just give up on using that wonderful liquid cooled engine for snowblower work and save myself all the hassle of moving the loader and 3 point/rear pto.

In that case I need to be comfortable that the 22 Command is a good engine for all day snowblower duty. I have read some good and bad about the Command, so all info on that engine is helpful. I have read about lifter noise, excessive oil consumption and complete failures, while many report long life and high hours.

I am curious how the 22 Command will hold up to several hours of heavy snowblower load at a time.

This is continuing to beat up on me. As Vince said, I am all messed up... :lol:
<><

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Think of it this way. There are lots of command engines out there on Zero turns that get worked hard every day.

In my experience engine life is directly related to maintenance. The best engine in the world will fail if not properly maintained. The worst engine will last some time if it's taken good care of.

And the bottom line is this there isn't anything on these tractors that isn't repairable or replaceable. I have replaced several engines, and have rebuilt several tractors.

In fact in some ways I'd almost rather have a tractor I have rebuilt because then I know what I have and any weaknesses that may exist.
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

If everyone kept at good of care of their stuff as you appear to do things would last forever! :)

I am constantly amazed that people will spend good hard earned money on a mower/tractor and even sometimes vehicles and treat them the way they do. Any of us that has bought a lot of used Cubs or any kind of equipment know's exactly what I speak of.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Bryan - Thanks for the compliment. You have touched on something that I will never understand. People before me that had way more money than I do, bought these very expensive machines new. And most of them are treated like an appliance; at best, they are ignored and might have the oil changed every now and then. At worst, they are left outside in the weather and have the crap beat out of them.

I guess in a weird way I should be glad for those people, because as soon as there is any type of usability issue due to the neglect it gets sold; at a reduced price. The machine goes through the process of degrading until someone like us can afford to buy it. Then, we appreciate what it once was (and what will probably never be offered new again...) and set about bringing them back to how they should be.

I am going to look at the 2284 tomorrow. What is tearing me up is that if I buy it, I don't have room to go buy the 2182 I found as well. I want them both... I think this is Vinny Scott's and Dave Gibson's fault; they have lots of Supers, why can't I? :lol:

I like the idea of getting the 2284 because I have never had a Command twin, and as Vinny said, they sound awesome! But to leave that 2182 out there, man that's tough to do...

I need a couch and Chumley's jug... :beer: ...and a bigger garage!
<><

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Tom, Here r some ideas i had for your new addition. I kinda like the red one ! Note,looks like it has heat and a/c.There is still time this fall to get started !Dave
metal-barn-cover.jpg
metal-barn-cover.jpg (16.66 KiB) Viewed 10053 times
IMG_3974.JPG
IMG_3974.JPG (54.39 KiB) Viewed 10053 times
416460302_8a6acc98ba_z.jpg
416460302_8a6acc98ba_z.jpg (118.71 KiB) Viewed 10053 times
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Just watched a neighbor have a 40X60 pole barn put up. 6" concrete floor with radiant heat. 220 3 phase power, One of the local Amish construction companies built it. They started last week Monday and had the building fully up and the floor poured by Thursday !!! They are doing finish trim and some landscaping today. I have been tossing around a plan for a new 24X30 for myself.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave - I would love to have a big detached garage or barn, but I can only afford picture number two or three!

Steve, be careful, no matter what size you build you will fill it!

I went to look at the 2284 with my trailer and a pocket full of cash. I went with the intentions of bringing it home, but it had a lot of things that needed attention. I came home with an empty trailer and disappointed. The seller was willing to come down substantially, but I just couldn't make myself go for it. Maybe after I sleep on it, but I went expecting a cream puff, and it was not so. Some cracked plastic (grill and one side panel), leaking hydro and axle seal, needed carb rebuilt, bad fuel solenoid, hydro fluid seemed to be possibly the newer thick stuff for the 2000 series tractors, engine had been pulled to replace ignition components and the work was a bit sloppy.

I did get to experience the 22 Command which does sound good and strong and the Haban deck is nice.

I might sign up for the 12+ hour round trip for the 2182, but I hate to go that far and be disappointed again.

The search continues.
<><

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Been there done that ! I know the feeling all to well ,u get there after a long drive and u see the tractor and get a sick feeling in your stomach and u have to very nicely say "i think i will have to pass".Although that is how i ended up with the 1572,it looked great in the pics but up close it was rough,asking 2k ,i said i'll pass and he said make an offer,it was on my trailer at half price :D Dave

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Well, the 2182 that I was considering wasn't as good as I had hoped. The seller was real nice and sent me video I asked for; burns oil and more broken plastic. All fixable, but the appeal of the Kubota engine is more longevity before I have to step in and rebuild.

The reality is with three tractors I probably won't wear out an air cooled engine for quite awhile. Later in life I will have more time when my kids are grown. I don't need a major rebuild project right now.

I have come full circle. I was leaning towards a Cyclops with the larger engines for snowblower duty and the improvements the Cyclops included, but I am getting sick of seeing broken plastic. If I bought one, I would buy whatever new plastic it needed now while they are still available, but it makes me second guess another Cyclops for the long haul. Cub will probably stop making the parts very soon, so if I happen to have a moment of stupidity in the future and break a grill or panel, I will be stuck with searching through used parts.

It was soothing to use the 1872 tonight and look out over all that metal in front of me that is going to last. I have been including 2072's in my search but there isn't any in my area right now. There are several pretty good 1872's but I want more hp for this next one.

So, sorry for the soap opera and being a downer. This was supposed to be over by now with pics of my new tractor, but it just hasn't worked out yet.
<><

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Lots of Supers, but all except the 2182 and 2082 need considerable work. The problem with having a lot of them is that the weakest in the herd seems to get neglected. It is killing me watching the 2072 just sit there. I want the 982 to be up and running by next September. And I have a pretty decent 1872 sitting idle waiting for a transplant, or at least a couple of days worth of governor adjustment,driveshaft repair, and cylinder repairs. Good deals on non-supers keep coming up, and keeping me tied up.

I thought I had better check in on the search for the right Super. It is comforting to look down that long 82 series hood and know that you have some metal under your butt. Something to keep in mind while the search continues... I heard a song the other day that I probably haven't heard since high school. The lyrics reminded me of the best part of hunting down these old tractors and parts. "It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase"

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Nice, Deep Purple ....There is a group from the past. First i thought "Rocky" theme song :lol: .Tom, Pick up a clean 1872 and repower it. You could sell the old 18 or add it to the "back-up for back-ups" closet. Dave

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

You've got all winter... build the tractor you want...

Want 82 series super with a big engine? Build it! Add whatever motor you want. 22-24hp command would be my pick! You can also add the cast iron rear which will be stronger and pick up a few LB's in the rear which will help with a blower.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Man, I love this support group I have picked up! All of you are right, and as long as I don't overpay too bad, there isn't a real bad decision in the mix.

I am going to mellow out and let this lead where it may. I am trying to avoid rebuilding engines and big tractor builds. I have the know how, I just don't have time or the garage space right now.

The fact that I have bounced back and forth between Cyclops and 72 series (CCC 82 series as per Dave, I am going with it) is because I like something about both. I will live with more plastic if I must and enjoy the other improvements. Cub is still making the plastic for now, so if I get one right I should be able to keep it that way for a long time. Maybe that is an investment idea, stock up on Cyclops plastic while it is still being made... :lol:

I did buy a new RH panel for the 2182, still new in the box in the basement. The original is compromised a little from the classic blown muffler mount gasket melt, but plenty usable and still in service.
<><

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Just came home with my new project tractor tonight. IH built 982. It's in good shape, and runs like a champ, but I could care less about originality so it will have a Command, Power Steering, turning brakes front ports etc when I am done. I don't know when I'll get to it, but it will be the tractor that fits my needs when I am done with it.
Attachments
IMG_20131021_182429.jpg
IMG_20131021_182429.jpg (819.59 KiB) Viewed 9979 times

VScott

Post by VScott »

Nice, BB! How far did you have to go to find that one?

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

About an hour from my house. I gave the guy a poor pitiful BB story and I got it reasonable.. :)

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Good job Bryan! CL has been a little dead around here for me, but I have been picky for this next one as is well documented in this thread...
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Ok, here's the deal... Forum member Matt Pfeiffer had been following this thread and offered to sell one of his several Supers to me. The main problem was that I am in Maryland and he is in northern Ohio. Although the distance was tough to sign up for, I left yesterday morning with the goal to get there and back in one day. So, here it is, a second 2182:
2182 home from Ohio.JPG
2182 home from Ohio.JPG (2.49 MiB) Viewed 9958 times
Including stops and visiting Matt, it was 13-1/2 hour round trip, 728 miles, $84 in tolls :( . It was a grueling day, but I am glad I didn't need to stay over anywhere.

54" deck, 1200 hours, but the engine runs well with no smoke and the hydro sounds fine. Matt hadn't done anything with this one yet, so it needs to go through the TLC process. I will probably have to pull the rear and tranny out to replace the gasket between the hydro and rear, general cleanup, and of course some of the typical Cyclops front end "plastic surgery" to make the old girl look young again. I may decide to live with the right hand panel missing the strip above the muffler, although I have a brand new one in a box that was bought for the first 2182. The left panel has a broken peg, but they are NLA with all the cooling slots cut in them. I may buy a new one and get brave and cut the slots myself, but that will be a bad mistake if I mess it up! Grill is usable but is starting to crack where they like to at the base, so I will probably buy a new one while they are still available.

So, I am glad the quest is over. It was nice to meet Matt and keep one of these in the "forum family".

I may start a new thread to document some of the TLC and repairs now that picture posting is so much easier. Thanks everyone for putting up with the search!
<><

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Good deal. Matt is a great guy and a "super" guy to deal with... get it.. super?? lol

Looks like it has Ag Tars on it already... Ag Tars.... yeah I get a little moist thinking about Ag Tars.... :shock:

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

YaHoo ! Looks nice. Tom and i get new supers on the same day and Bryan got one last week. Cool...I am DONE i was told by the wife and i have to agree :lol: . Dave

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Thanks guys!

Hey, Bryan would really cry if he saw an "Ag T'ar F'ar".... :lol: They tend to smoke a lot too, enough to make anyone cry...
<><

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Nice looking super, should do a good job for you!

Bb, that 982 needs a loader on it!

VScott

Post by VScott »

MMMMMM! Fender flares!!! Nice lookin ride Tom! Those AG's look even meatier tucked under the flares. I forget if you have a 54" deck or not, but I think that you will really like it. They move some air around for sure. Please do a step by step for us!

Matt, looks like you dealt Tom a solid tractor there...I love it when a plan comes together!

EDIT: I don't know about anyone else, but I am really fond of the tread design on those Cub Cadet branded tires like on the front. Are they still available new in that tread design? Looks like they would pull some awesome g's on a skid pad!

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Tom - It was a pleasure meeting you yesterday. I'm glad it worked out and you will give it the TLC it needs. It will make a solid tractor for you I'm sure. I will be watching for your future posts on it's progress!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Steve, Vinny, thanks.

No, I have never used a 54. I wanted a Haban 60 "just because", but I can't really say I need it. My 50C has been very good, but the plan is for this to become the mowing/snowblowing machine. Now the first 2182 can just keep the loader on and the 1872 will probably end up wearing the Haban blade all year round.

I had lots of thinking time during the drive, so I think the ags will be real good for the loader as I have lost traction pushing into piles before with turfs. These are the first ags I have driven on, and I was surprised at how bumpy they are. Are all ags this bad or are some tread designs a little more comfortable? The ride is comparable to having chains on turfs. I will have to check the pressures and see how they feel off the driveway.

I was unsure of the fender flares at first, but I kind of like having one with them. Makes them each a little unique. So, now I own one of the first 2182's and one of the last. (Looking at the serial number, this is one of the very last, less than a thousand from the end.)
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Hey, there's Matt. I was typing while he was posting...

Guys, Matt hasn't posted much, but he was telling me his long Cub history. He has had quite the journey with these things, saving a number of them and has had many hours of seat time.

Matt, thanks again. You put an end to the "Super" Dilemma!
<><

VScott

Post by VScott »

Never had a super with ags but I can tell you that I have never really noticed it being anywhere near as bumpy as chains on turfs with standard garden tractors (23x10.50x12). I have goodyears on the882 and they are very smooth riding. I have Tru-Powers (I think they are the heavier 4 ply tires) that I bought new that have been transferred from a 1650 to a 782 to the 1712 that they are currently on. One of the rims is slightly bent, this was pointed out to me by the gentleman who sandblasted them, so it has been a known issue since I have had them, and I really have no ride complaints.