2182-2: "An Incredible Cinderella Story..."

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: 2182-2: "An Incredible Cinderella Story..."

Post by dag1450 »

Hey Tom..... the army called.... and they want there m1 abrams material back ! Yea u can send it up, but it will return with a thick layer of zinc plating. The booth is closed for the season but the laboratory is open for business :lol: Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

ronniec
First and Last Name: Ronnie Chapman

Post by ronniec »

would it be possible to get a copy of the patterns thanks ronnie
have snow must plow

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Ronnie - Only the long diagonal brace was made from a wood template. The other two pieces of steel were made as I went.

What I will do is place them on my scanner and scan them into a pdf file. They should print as full size for you and that would be the best way to have a starting point. Then you can dummy them up out of thin wood to be sure of exact hole placement.

Painting tonight. Also trying to blow myself up with a heater at the base between coats in the cold basement.
Painting bottom braces 1.JPG
Painting bottom braces 1.JPG (3.1 MiB) Viewed 11358 times
Man, I wish Dave lived closer. I would be nicer to him and con him in to doing my painting... :lol:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

ronniec
First and Last Name: Ronnie Chapman

Post by ronniec »

thank you
have snow must plow

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Only problem with those braces is that they won't fit with the three point. But if you don't have that then they are a great idea.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

First and Last Name: Sam McCleary

Post by 9803412 »

SWilliams wrote:Only problem with those braces is that they won't fit with the three point. But if you don't have that then they are a great idea.
Steve

The Xtreme braces do fit with the factory 3 point. This is a 2284 with the brace and 3 point.
Attachments
Brace with 3 point.jpg
Brace with 3 point.jpg (460.02 KiB) Viewed 11362 times

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Braces installed. They probably would have looked better in black, but frankly I find it easier to work on equipment that is painted in lighter colors. Once the tires and fenders go back they will hardly be seen anyway. The paint is the TSC "Magic" brand "Cub Cadet Yellow" and doesn't match as well as it could, but good enough for hidden away stuff. Looks more like the 1872 and prior yellow...
Lower braces installed.JPG
Lower braces installed.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 11345 times
Heading back out to do some more. If I am not careful, I will have a roller here soon... :lol:
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Another "while I am at it..."

Post by Tom Scott »

I had this in mind while I was making the lower braces. I don't like how the unused rear pto mount collects dirt and I was originally just figuring on bolting a plate over it to fill the bolt holes and covering the depressions in the case. Then I figured that with just a bit more steel (and a lot more work), that I could now have an upper brace as well as the lowers.
Upper brace final fit.JPG
Upper brace final fit.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 11339 times
The two angles running back attach to a third angle bolted to the inside of the rear hitch plate.
Upper brace to hitch plate.JPG
Upper brace to hitch plate.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 11339 times
As Matt Pfeiffer mentioned awhile back, the factory 3 point hitch ties the rear housing in real nice with the hitch plate and provides more support. Using the rear pto mount was the quickest way to add yet a little more strength to the whole assembly.

If I ever got a factory 3 pt and rear pto for this tractor, I would gladly remove this and trade it for the support the factory 3 pt provides.

This is just hand tightened with miscellaneous bolts for final fit up. Now to remove for paint, then gather the hardware I want to use.
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Individual parts for the new upper brace:
Upper brace pieces.JPG
Upper brace pieces.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 11345 times
There is also an extra hole in the frame on each side that is not originally drilled through the hitch plate. I drilled that through so I can use a Grade 8 bolt and nut to provide much more clamping force than the original bolts with the weld nuts.
Rear hitch plate extra hole.JPG
Rear hitch plate extra hole.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 11345 times
Although the original bolts are Grade 5 and plenty strong, you can't torque them too tight due to just a weld nut on the backside. By drilling the extra hole I can add a true bolted Grade 8 connection and tighten it properly.
<><

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Tom,

If I was sitting in front of one of my tractors I could probably answer this myself, but with the fenders on will you be able to gain access to the nuts on the inside of the rear hitch plate if you need to get to the rear end cover?

Also, how tight do you want those bolts? I would think that the welded nuts would hold at least 100 lb/ft. On automotive applications I have seen welded nuts compromised due to corrosion and exposure to the elements. Also on mower decks, but I honestly don't know that I have ever seen one fail on a garden tractor frame.

Nice work! You are really making the weak link on that tractor nearly bulletproof!

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

VScott wrote:If I was sitting in front of one of my tractors I could probably answer this myself, but with the fenders on will you be able to gain access to the nuts on the inside of the rear hitch plate if you need to get to the rear end cover?
For the extra bolt I am adding on each side to hold the hitch plate to the frame I will probably insert the bolt from the inside so the nut will be on the outside. With the nut on the outside, I will only have to reach up and hold the head of the bolt with a wrench. Not real easy, but not as bad as you might think.

As for the bolts holding the new brace to the hitch plate, I may mount them the same way, with the nuts on the outside like in my pic. It doesn't looks as neat as just a bolt head, but I will get over it. I mounted the angle against the hitch plate with the leg pointing down so the bolt heads wouldn't be blocked from underneath.
VScott wrote:Also, how tight do you want those bolts? I would think that the welded nuts would hold at least 100 lb/ft. On automotive applications I have seen welded nuts compromised due to corrosion and exposure to the elements. Also on mower decks, but I honestly don't know that I have ever seen one fail on a garden tractor frame.
The usual torque spec for a Grade 5, 3/8" bolt in a true bolted connection (not screwed into a casting) is around 35 ft-lbs and a Grade 8 is 45 ft-lbs, maybe a little less depending upon the plating and lubed or not. Cub specifies 30 ft-lbs for every Grade 5, 3/8" bolt going into the aluminum rear assembly. So if you are referring to tightening torque, there is no way they would hold 100 ft-lb of tightening torque. I had two 3/8" weld nuts on the hitch plate of my 1861 strip when I torqued them to just 30 ft-lb (Heli-Coiled them for a correct repair). As far as the strength goes in the application, two 3/8" bolts on each side is indeed plenty strong, but if I am relying on the hitch plate for more rigidity, I just wanted the extra insurance of one more that I could really torque properly without worrying about stripping the weld nut.

That may have been unusual for the two weld nuts to strip on the 1861, but even if Cub welds Grade 5 nuts in they can lose their hardness due to the welding process, and they really aren't the thickest weld nuts I have ever seen. I figured I went this far, so just go ahead and drill that tempting extra hole so I can put a true bolted connection with a Grade 8 bolt.

As far as the hardware for the four bolts holding the angle pieces together, I am going to use interference fit (deformed thread) nuts in Grade 5 or 8, either one should be plenty. I have never seen one of those come loose, so I won't be tempted to try to wiggle in there later and check the torque. The last two bolts, threaded into the top of the rear, I will probably use blue loctite on.
<><

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Man, Im starting to feel like a slacker ........i only have 4 bolts holding my rear end in ! I did pick up a rear frame cover plate while out at Rays last time. They r heavy duty and should make a big difference in "floor pan wiggle". Tom what is that little lever with the blue sticker "Lower-Higher" Mower deck .....Rpm's....ground speed....seat hight :lol: . Ok , sorry. Really what does that do ?

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave - A while ago you wanted to know how I was levitating the tractor...You found it, that is the tractor levitation control... :lol:

Rockshaft stop, mainly for deck height use. One of the improvements on the later Cyclops, sturdier than the stupid cam on the frame that I don't use because it flexes the sidewall of the frame with a heavy deck. The only negative is that you can't adjust it from the seat.
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Got the upper tranny brace all painted up and installed. Didn't remember to snap a pic after painting until I was already installing, so this is what I have. Trying to use what I have in stock, so Grade 5 hardware for everything and deformed thread locknuts for all the through bolted connections. They stay tight and don't require lockwashers.
Upper tranny brace installed.JPG
Upper tranny brace installed.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 11326 times
You can see the extra bolt on the side that I added and the two attaching bolts for the brace coming through the back of the hitch plate.
Upper tranny brace to hitch plate, final install.JPG
Upper tranny brace to hitch plate, final install.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 11326 times
For the extra bolt on the side I had to put the nut on the inside due to the hole being blocked by the rockshaft adjustment rod. Again, deformed thread locknuts on both sets of bolts. With the nut on the inside for the side bolts I put a flat washer under the bolt head since the bolt head must be turned to torque it. For the top brace mount to the hitch plate with the nuts on the outside I put the flat washer under the nut since that is what will be turned for torquing. I don't really like seeing the nuts instead of bolt heads, but I think I will get over it. I can flip them around if I don't.

As per Vinny's concern, I should be able to reach everything if they needed to be retorqued. A little bit of a ship in a bottle, but doable.

The drawbar is missing bolts because Cub put short ones in that don't reach the full depth of the weld nuts. I am replacing them with longer bolts to use all the threads in the weld nuts to avoid stripping them. I torqued the existing bolts for the hitch plate to frame connection to 30 ft-lb and they held without stripping.
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

I have had a very good two days. It can be hard with grade school children to get any decent blocks of time...

From all the oil being slung around, none of the original wiring harness tape stayed put, it all just fell apart when I took it away from the frame to clean it. Pretty much started here today:
Wire harness before.JPG
Wire harness before.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 11311 times
Bolted up the driveline last night. Today I retaped the wiring harness, connected the hydraulic lines, and got all the hydro linkage all completed. Previously, while the tranny was out I put a new damper plate ($$$) and springs on the hydro. Got the rear filled, installed the dipstick assembly.
Tunnel area completed.JPG
Tunnel area completed.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 11311 times
Just still need to put the new rockshaft indicator cable in and I think I am done in the tunnel area.

Went to put on the seat support risers (the brackets that make a Super taller) and realized they needed a trip to the "paint booth". This stupid paint stuff really slows things down. :lol:
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

While we are talking hydro linkage, a segway.

The control cam that was originally put in the Cyclops was the same as the 72 series. Cub realized that they messed up the linkage ratios with the new tractors so they issued a service bulletin and advised that the control cam was to be replaced with the revised part.

The revised control cam has two holes (overlapping), one for the Cyclops and the original for the 72 series. The Cyclops uses the innermost hole to mount the ball joint stud from the connecting rod from the dash. The screwdriver is pointing to the Cyclops hole:
Hydro control cam.JPG
Hydro control cam.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 11311 times
My first 2182 (-1) was early production and had the old cam, so the linkage ratio did not give enough forward or reverse throw until I fixed it.
<><

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Tom,

Looking good!

Sorry, I haven't been on for a few days with all of our bad weather. We went from -10 last Sunday to 56 tomorrow, so the 12-14" that we got left in a hurry, but it sure was a pain wile it was here. Suffered a few small problems with the Bobcat that I have been repairing this week.

Now I can see where the extra hardware on the rear hitch plate comes in. Just adding that plate to a tractor really stiffens them up, and having it tied to the housing makes a lot of sense. I hope that I didn't appear to be picking your design apart, I actually would like to use some of your ideas, ( that one in particular) and wanted to see how difficult it would be to assemble and disassemble with the fenders in place.

On the hydro control plate, I have noticed that on my 2182 reverse really seems to be lacking for speed. Mine is the second series(large gas cap / metal tunnel cover). I wonder if it got the update or not. I will have to check in the next few weeks, I want to get the fenders off for a really good cleaning.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Hey ! Painting is where its at Jack !..... Im surprised u have not found a Permatex #xxx to coat all your parts with inloo of paint :lol: Im going to look at there web site and see if they make paint for people like u. Man those hole look kinda "shaky" being so close, did u see any excesive wear on the side without much surface area. So just to b clear, u drilled your old one and the one in the picture is stock off of -2

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Here it is Tom ! It says right on the can, no runs or sags
permatex.png
permatex.png (35.94 KiB) Viewed 11308 times

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Dave - Slow down! Someone take his coffee away!

I didn't drill the control cam. That is a picture of the one off of this tractor (2182-2). The revised factory part has both holes. Cub revised the part and only continued making the revised part. Nothing wrong on this tractor here, just pointing it out while we are talking linkages.

My earlier 2182 had the control cam with only one hole, and hence slower max forward and reverse. The service bulletin advised either drilling the second overlapping hole or buying the new part. I bought the new revised part for that tractor that looks just like the one below.

The service bulletin also advised that drilling could be quite difficult due to the extreme hardness of the part. I could have drilled it, but I thought the new one would come with just the one correct hole. It doesn't, it is made with the overlapping holes. I don't love that the holes overlap so much, but it works fine, it is a low stress connection.

Man, that is just harsh on the undercoating jab! At least I am painting as I go (albeit the wrong color and with a spray bomb). I need to find some correct CCC yellow in a spray can. All the TSC "tractor paint" is matched to the old Cub yellow.
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Vinny - Your later 2182 should have the revised part, just make sure the linkage is hooked to the innermost hole.

Even with the correct control cam 2182-1 is still too slow and lacks power in reverse. All engineering is compromise, and these were designed with the idea that they would be used primarily for mowing. After you add a loader and hundreds of pounds of counterweight, even new trunnion springs are just not stiff enough.

I have deliberately put it on a steep hill with a large load and I can contort my body over the side of the tractor and see the trunnion springs compressing heavily.

Before Cub broke down and revised the control cam they advised that the cam pivot bracket should be lowered as much as possible to bias neutral towards reverse. After adjusting, depress the brake pedal fully to bring to neutral and check for wheel creep with the rear wheels in the air and the tractor running. In other words, depress the brake fully and release to make sure neutral is not biased too much toward reverse.

The last thing you can do is adjust the control connecting rod to move the dash lever more towards forward while in neutral. I have found that the dash slot can limit rear travel before you run out of control cam. By biasing the handle more forward you sacrifice some forward throw to gain rearward. Only the cam pivot bracket determines neutral, not the handle.

Finally, I have thought of an appropriate "redneck engineering" fix to increase the pressure of the trunnion springs without disassembly. I am a big fan of doing things right, but sometimes a simple modification is appropriate. It would be a lot of work to measure a set of new trunnion springs to determine the spring rate and then find new ones that are slightly stronger. I have an idea to shim the existing ones without disassembly or any permanent change to the tractor. I will get back on that.

Vinny, as far as comments go, I welcome them. I appreciate having extra sets of eyes looking for any pitfalls. I did scan all these parts into a pdf file before I installed them, so that might help you recreate them. Not as good as a real set of drawings, but it will save some time when I make these again. I consider the lower braces to be the more beneficial of the two, but both should help.
<><

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

What is this rod used for?
1-12-2014 1-02-33 PM.gif
1-12-2014 1-02-33 PM.gif (208.61 KiB) Viewed 11310 times
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

"Implement Down Stop Rod", limits rock shaft just like the goofy cam on the side of the frame used to, but this should actually work. I have no love for the old cam design, just not beefy enough. This is one of the later Cyclops improvements.
<><

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Oh, in your earlier post u said u "fixed" the control cam so i just...........................assumed u would drill it and not spend the green on such a simple repair :lol:

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I know how i would feel,.......... you order the new part with what u think has one hole, pay for it, wait for it to come in, u go to pick it up and u see there "new and improved" part with the two holes :shock: :o :( I guess that life.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Time for an update... Sorry if I am posting too many pictures, the pages load kind of slow with all of them.

Figured I would cheer myself with a before and after comparison at this stage. Two months ago:
Early November 2013 during teardown.JPG
Early November 2013 during teardown.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 11282 times
Last weekend:
Seat-Fuel tank support installed.JPG
Seat-Fuel tank support installed.JPG (2.44 MiB) Viewed 11282 times
All that gunk on the seat support was causing a good bit of rust due to the washdowns this thing got. Better to not wash them than to get sloppy dirt wet in tight places.
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Ok, back to droning on about things you might already know...

Star washers, or "external tooth lock washers" aren't really best at locking, but they are great at gouging through paint where you want electricity to go. So when you find these in odd places like between frame and structural members like seat supports, they are not there by mistake. They are there to gouge through the paint and provide a good ground between parts.
Star washer on frame.JPG
Star washer on frame.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 11285 times
For me, new paint means new star washer. The existing ones get flattened, and they are fine if going back to the same location where they have already found a home. For new paint, I like a new washer to do its thing to make sure I get a good ground. As with any electrical connection, they get a little dielectric grease smeared on them. Keeps the electrical gremlins away like garlic to a vampire...
<><

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

And where we are at as of tonight... Fuel tank, pump, all new fuel lines, filter, new fuel line insulation under hood. The stock line from the tank to carb was all 1/4", but the pump and carb are 5/16", so that is what I went with from the pump forward. It isn't that this engine needs more fuel line capacity, I just don't like forcing the smaller line over the fittings, as it will just crack there that much sooner. A good unintended consequence of the larger line is that it was stiffer and hugged the frame rail better between the frame clamps. The original line was snaked through the hydro linkage and over the rockshaft before it went back towards the frame rail. I don't know if that was a PO move or factory, but with the 5/16" line it hugged the frame rail real nice all the way up.

The good: I started the engine earlier this week, hydro and rear sound fine. The bad: Both relief valves were leaking through the top. They weren't leaking like that when I removed the hydro, so moving the hydro around and emptying it must have dislodged some dirt or allowed the check valve balls to rotate to an uneven area to leak. I had one new one in stock and have ordered one of the new stainless steel valves offered on ebay. Hopefully they are a good reproduction; the seller had excellent reviews, so I am taking the risk. I plan on sending the bad ones back for him to refurbish, that is his main ebay business.

Final shot showing nice cleaned up fuel pump area. Almost a shame to hide it away soon. 2182-1 is supervising in the background.
Fuel tank installed.JPG
Fuel tank installed.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 11289 times
<><

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Tom,really good write up.....good enough to go in a magazine.
"Better to not wash them than to get sloppy dirt wet in tight places."
I have an air gun with a long tube(piece of brake line) that I use after mowing to blow grass and dust/dirt off.

First and Last Name: Sam McCleary

Post by 9803412 »

Tom

Outstanding job on the 2182. One word of advice for you guys that have Cyclops Supers with the down stop rod and the 60" Haban decks. The big Habans are supposed to be run all the way down so that they ride on the deck wheels. The down stop rod will break if they are supported with it. The rod on my 1782 was broken where it threads into the part that goes through the rock shaft. Gotta go back to the other Cub site that I hang out on now.

Sam