Inline heaters for diesels

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Inline heaters for diesels

Post by stevet »

Question for everyone. I've been using a magnetic block heater on the oil pan for my 782D, and that along with the battery conditioner have really helped out my winter starting. I'm going to do the glow plug upgrade in the near future, but wanted to find out if anyone has used any of the inline heaters that go in the coolant hoses. I'm considering getting one just for some extra help when it gets super cold out. I know others have used the freeze plug heaters that go in the front of the motor, but last time I checked into those, they were in the $65-70 range, and the inline heaters are running around $30.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: Inline heaters for diesels

Post by JMotuzick »

Steve
did it start today?
if it did do the glow plows and don't look back!
at -10 here thats as cold as it's been in 20 years they are saying if it doesn't start today then i would spend more on getting it going better. As far as the in line heater goes i've never used one…...

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Many years ago when I worked for a European auto importer we used to sell inline heaters, they worked well.
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

rwonder
First and Last Name: Roger Wonder

Post by rwonder »

my 1572 has an in line heater on it. It was on it when I bought it about 3 years ago. Does a good job. Haven't had to start it this winter, as we here in western Iowa have only had about a total of 5" all winter. That is just fine with me!

882Diesel
First and Last Name: Paul W. Roessler

Post by 882Diesel »

With a couple days of 40*, time to install engine heater kit ( Kubota ) # 70000 73595 , it goes in head/ frost plug( D600 ) behind fan bracket assembly. Pulled radiator & grill to give easy access. May replace lower radiator hose (OEM $$) since I did upper hose couple years ago. Today must cutout hole in fan brkt to make room for final assembly... I think Todd M did a pictorial on this install a number of years back.
PWR

albie
First and Last Name: Albie Breidenbaugh

Post by albie »

Steve dad used to use the magnets on his Mitsubishi til one melted down on him, he put an inline heater on it and it starts great when its very cold out and only needs an hour or two to heat it up enough to start.
105 147 1650 382 782D

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

I think they work ok, but they take up a lot of room in an already crowded engine compartment. Where all have you priced the the for in the head?
That price sounds high to me.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

882Diesel
First and Last Name: Paul W. Roessler

Post by 882Diesel »

I got my frost plug heater ( 400 watt) for D600 head at Kubota dealer a year ago, I think for $40 or less. It fits nicely behind fan bracket . Just taking time to pull grill, radiator,air cleaner assy. & brackets ,etc., but wasn't too bad over a couple sun shining afternoons with the shop overhead door open. Now today,19* with 20-35 mph winds with snow showers! :(