Traction Prolems w/ SGT 1572

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
itsdasmoke
First and Last Name: Rex Sheetz

Traction Prolems w/ SGT 1572

Post by itsdasmoke »

Hello All,
Been here for a little while ,hven't posted just readin' and learnin'.......... I have a 1988 SGT 1572,Haban 54' angle blade and 60" Haban mower deck,its a beast!
The problem I'm havjng is traction,Tractor has 12x12x26 turf tires with chains,150# of wheel weights another 140# of sand and my rather rotund physique at an added 257# for a total of just under 550# and the thing still spins when I'm pushing snow.
Any thougts,suggestions,advise would be of great help........How much weight shoud use? Would Ags help? Lower the air pressue? I do plan on filling the rear tires with beet juice but I was hoping to eliminate the 140# of sand.
hanks in advance for your help,I'm learning alot on this site!
Rex
Last edited by itsdasmoke on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsdasmoke

Re: Traction Prolems w/ SGT 2572

Post by itsdasmoke »

Sorry...........my tractor is a 1572 not a 2572.................time for bed!
Thanks,
Rex

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Re: Traction Prolems w/ SGT 1572

Post by Farmallgray »

You probably won't completely eliminate spinning on snow and ice no matter how much weight you add. If you get it weighted down too much
you will start breaking stuff. When does it spin? Maybe try taking smaller bites with the blade. Sometimes it helps to back further up and get some more momentum.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Yep... You're going to have some wheel slippage. One thing I wish Cub would of offered was a locking diff, the 400 series JD's had it and it helps when pushing snow. Especially when your stuck!

And for what it's worth my 15,000LB New Holland spins it's wheels in the snow too...
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

ReicheP
CCC's Official Weatherman
First and Last Name: Paul Reiche

Post by ReicheP »

Are youR chains 2 or 4 link? My 1650 has 2 link chains a a 44" blade, it does a good job, My 1811 came with Ag tires and 4 link chains and it's worthless in the snow. When everything melts turf tires and 2 links from my 682 are getting swapped.

Smaller bites as suggested help, you might consider going with a 44" blade so you push less snow.

Anyway it's March we are all going to be cutting green grass in just a few weeks!
DUI Offenders murder the equivalent of two 747 crashes in the USA each week!

682 W/44" Deck, 1650 W/Snow Blade, 1811 W/450, 1650 Barn Find

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

ReicheP wrote:Are youR chains 2 or 4 link? My 1650 has 2 link chains a a 44" blade, it does a good job, My 1811 came with Ag tires and 4 link chains and it's worthless in the snow. When everything melts turf tires and 2 links from my 682 are getting swapped.

Smaller bites as suggested help, you might consider going with a 44" blade so you push less snow.

Anyway it's March we are all going to be cutting green grass in just a few weeks!
Paul he can't go with a smaller blade as a 44 wouldn't clear the tires if It was angled plus the 54" is the only one built to fit a SGT.

But I hope your right about cutting grass soon! :)
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

itsdasmoke

Post by itsdasmoke »

Thanks to everyone for you thougts! My chains are 2 link and I deffinatly don't want to start breaking things..I just rebuilt the driveline and replaced the centrifigal clutch with U-joints.
I just hoped I could transmit all the toque from the diesel to the ground,seems like when I get a good blde full of snow and reallt get it moving and the black smoke blowing it loses traction and I have to start again ,I drove a truck most of my life so I lkie the black smoke :D
I have taken smaller bites when I can and do back up and get more momentum but sometimes I have to go at differant angle to get the results I want...........anyway,Happy plowin' and THANKS again...................I'll let ya know how it works out!
Rex

LFR
First and Last Name: Lorin Burch

Post by LFR »

Also if your spinning here's a little pulling tip deflate your tires some so more tread is on the ground.
67 Case 155, 66 Colt 2310, 68 John Deere 110w/ haban sickle bar mower, 59 simplicity 700 wonderboy, 62 allis Chalmers b1, Fairbanksmorse 3 wheel, 1944 McCormick peering O4, H, 1948 Farmall Cub, C.

itsdasmoke

Post by itsdasmoke »

Thanks again for everyone's help,I dropped the air pressure to 10# and tightened my chains a little more.
Todays snowfall was" lighter and fluffier" and easier to push not like the wet heavy stuff from the last storm....Got my driveway and thee of my neighbors in about 3 hours,still a litte spining but an overall improvement :D
I gotta take a minute and appologize for my awful spelling!
Now it's :beer: time.........Again many Thanks to all who helped,
Rex

dale campbell
First and Last Name: Dale Campbell

Post by dale campbell »

10 lbs.pressure is still more than you should need ,I never check mine I just push on the tread area and make sure they're about the same keep them so they're a little soft so they'll conform to the ground...turf tires always work better when running chains

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

You want a monumental increase in traction on snow and ice? V lugs!
All my chains have V lugs and will really bite(just walk into them and see how your shin feels :lol: )
My 2072 has 2 link v lug chains, plastic wheel weights and loaded 26-12-12 and is an absolute beast pushing snow.
Like the others have said some slippage is good or you WILL find the weak link in your Cub and we don't want that.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Rex - Welcome to the forum! Here are my thoughts, numbered because I am just in that mood...

1) I have found ballast when using the blade, blower or loader to have a "tipping point". What I mean is, you can be just a bit under what you need and just need a little more. You didn't say, but until you tell us otherwise I will assume that the 140# of sand is strapped to the back somehow, not in your lap or on the hood.

2) For point of reference, you have listed 290# of total ballast, not including your "Super" physique. On my 1872 with the Haban blade, I run 110# of wheel weights and tires loaded with RV antifreeze (22 gallons total for 187#) giving me a total of 297# with my current setup. My physique is less Super by about 70#.

3) Previously I have had another set of wheel weights on in addition that added another 130#, for a total of 427#.

What I have found is that on an asphalt drive, even with a very steep hill, the 297# is enough, but slightly light on my neighbors stone drive. Even so, I haven't gotten stuck, and have always been able to push what I needed to. When I had the extra wheel weights on (427# total), that made a big difference. The 427# is what I consider the max I will use due to breakage concerns, and that is the weight that I keep on my 2182 that wears a loader in the summer and a 450 blower for the winter.

As I am in northern Baltimore County Maryland, and as you are east of me, I am assuming you had a similar snow situation back in mid-February. We had about 16" of heavy wet followed by 7" more wet later that night.

What I am driving at is that if you are trying to push 16" or even 12" of heavy wet snow, you are asking a lot of this size tractor. I have pushed 12" with my 1872 just to see how it would do, and I won't do it again unless I have to. The 12" I pushed was only moderately wet and I just don't want to work it that hard on a regular basis.

That is where the blower comes in; the blower is slower but will handle the deep stuff. When it is wet, the augers will plug and need an occasional clearing with a ice scraper I keep in my pocket but besides that aggravation it gets it done. Just not as quick as a blade in the shallower stuff.

And...A blower is how you end up with multiple Supers. I was caught in the aggravating position of pulling off the Haban blade for the "big snow" when we got it and putting on the 450 blower. I find the blade to be much quicker for the 6" nuisance snows, so I don't want to use a blower unless I have to.

So...The only solution I had was that I needed a multiple Supers for the availability of a blade and blower all winter long. Anything 6" and under gets attacked by the 1872 and Haban blade. Anything 6"-8" requires cogitation; the blade can do it, but sometimes the existing berms are already too high. Anything over 8" goes through the 450 without question.

4) I have not used the V-lug chains because they will tear up asphalt, but if you only have stone drives, they are the ticket from what I hear.

5) I run 10 psi partly because with the tires filled with RV antifreeze to the 12 o'clock valve stem position, there isn't much air to leak out before it goes down to nothing. With too little air I would also be concerned with the chains just pushing up into the soft tire rather than down into the snow. Turfs with chains are best because the chains will nest in the recesses of the Ag tires and not provide as much traction.

6) I would get the tires filled with Rim Guard like you planned. At about 11# per gallon and 22 gallons you will end up with 242#. That is 100# more than you are getting out of the sand, and your new total will be 392#, which should be plenty.

Somehow I have run long again, so I will stop... :beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

Woodchuck
First and Last Name: Charles Frock

Post by Woodchuck »

I have a 125 Cadet with a 42" snowplow on it that I have used to plow my blacktop driveway with for over 20 years.
All that time I had used the turf tires with rubber cleated chains so that I wouldn't tear up the blacktop.
Two years ago I went to a pair of mud style ATV tires. These are similar to the tractor AG tires just somewhat softer.
I run 7lbs of air in them with 75lb wheel weights on each tire.
These tires are incredible. I can push twice the amount of snow with less wheel slippage than I ever could with the rubber cleated chains.
I also have a 1882 SGT with a 45" snowblower on it that I did the same thing to. Again what a diffence it has made. I have a pretty good hill to go up along the side of the garage and I can walk right up it blowing a foot of snow away.
They are a little pricey. I paid $150 for each pair but it was worth every penny of it.