1782 Wiring Harness

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Willy
First and Last Name: Ray Williams

1782 Wiring Harness

Post by Willy »

Good afternoon,
This is a re-post from another site, I've updated and added it here for those who haven't seen it yet.

Anyway, my 1782 diesel harness was fried so I sent it to Porch Electric (http://www.porchelectric.com) and they completely rebuilt it and it looks great! I received the package via UPS and I was pretty surprised to see what a nice job they did.

The harness was melted together in multiple places, someone along the way had cut the 30amp fuse out of the keyswitch circuit (I assume because it was blowing fuses or something). So whatever was shorting out wiped the rest of the harness instead of blowing the fuse that was put there to protect it!

Here are some pictures of the harness after they fixed it. I kick myself for not taking some "before photo's"...

They had to replace some connectors and a bunch of wires but it still looks stock. Everything is wrapped tightly and then covered with that mesh stuff.
Main harness section. Notice that they added new labels for all the temporary labels I had placed on the harness, if I had known this I would have labeled everything!
Main harness section. Notice that they added new labels for all the temporary labels I had placed on the harness, if I had known this I would have labeled everything!
They even replaced some connectors that were burnt.
They even replaced some connectors that were burnt.
They also found a fuse holder and placed a 30amp fuse in it for me. As I mentioned above, not having this caused the harness to burn in the first place.
They also found a fuse holder and placed a 30amp fuse in it for me. As I mentioned above, not having this caused the harness to burn in the first place.
This is what the starter is supposed to look like with the fuse intact!
This is what the starter is supposed to look like with the fuse intact!
Here is one looking down under the fuel pump and middle frame area.
Here is one looking down under the fuel pump and middle frame area.

Willy

Re: 1782 Wiring Harness

Post by Willy »

Here are the last few images:
Here they wired the key switch back in, I had sent it to them in case they wanted to test the start circuit with the switch in place.
Here they wired the key switch back in, I had sent it to them in case they wanted to test the start circuit with the switch in place.
The headlight area. I ended up re-routing the wires because the engine cover was rubbing up against wiring where the cover mounting hole is.
The headlight area. I ended up re-routing the wires because the engine cover was rubbing up against wiring where the cover mounting hole is.
When I put the wiring harness back into my 1782. I didn't expect it to take so long and honestly I never want to do it again unless the tractor is all apart. I had a pretty hard time getting the harness routed back into the proper places on the frame.

I had to take the radiator and shrouding off the tractor to get the main harness section back under the dash...

There were more pictured but alot of them came out blurry. When I was finished with the harness I changed both fuel filters, some fuel line, the radiator coolant and changed the oil/oil filter.

I turned the key on and let the fuel pump remove all the air from the fuel system before starting it. I was glad when it fired right up and went to a nice idle. I let it warm up and also checked the oil and coolant levels.

I think this is going to be a good tractor, I still need to replace a few body panels and apply some paint here and there, but it's starting to shape up. My next step is to get a rear end cover gasket and some hytran, it looks like the previous owner put regular hydraulic fluid in it, the stuff that dripped out of the front hydro ports when I rerouted the hoses looked like a deep brown.

-Ray

bermuda-ken
First and Last Name: Kenneth Updike

Post by bermuda-ken »

Porch Electric does an excellent job on thier products. I have used them to re-create several harnesses including the 782-882-1512 diesel. They use industrial grade wire and connector and bench test every item they make. Thier quality is matched by NO ONE! Other harness makers sell for less $$$, but thier quality is less too!

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

Ray, I know what you mean. I think I had to route mine at least 4 or 5 times to get it right. That darn steering column and lift valve kept messing me up.
Attachments
IMG_0386 (640x480).jpg
Adrian

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Willy...
Nice harness....I see you have the better Light Panel....I like the sealed beams better than the bulb style...Don't seem to cloud up as bad...
Have one of each....

My 1782 does not have the fuse holder you pictured....is there a chance ther was 2 styles of harnesses???

Willy

Post by Willy »

Hey Frank,
The wiring diagram (for models with serial number 800,000 and up) shows 2 fuses total for the 1782.

The first one is 30 amps and is placed near the starter. It goes inline between the feed to the keyswitch and the starter solenoid main post.
The second one 20 amps and is placed on the left side near the voltage regulator, it goes inline between the starter solenoid secondary post and the fuel pump (white wires).

Maybe you have an earlier version, or the previous owner moved the location of the fuse holder? Let me know if you don't have the wiring diagram, I have a copy.

-Ray

Racenitro
First and Last Name: Frank S. Morski

Post by Racenitro »

Thanks..I have a diagram...but there is no fuse. It definitely is an earlier version of the 1782....

Tried to sell it but no takers so one of these days I am going to pull the engine and go completely through it and then build a TLB around it...
Have all the necessary cylinders, valve bodies and pumps as well as hoses...plus some of the steel...
Biggest missing parts is TIME!!!