450 Snowblower

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

450 Snowblower

Post by mikeyb »

Good morning guys!

I am missing the lift rod for my 450 blower to put on my 2072.
Anyone have a picture of this thing and maybe measurements?

Thanks.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: 450 Snowblower

Post by Tom Scott »

Mikey - Welcome to the forum!

You might want to start by looking on one of the parts sites: Carter & Gruenwald, partstree.com, Messicks.com. They show what it looks like in the parts look-up, and it is still available new. It is two pieces, a rod and a threaded clevis. About $120 gets you both pieces and the clevis pin. You will have to decide for yourself if that much money is worth the trouble to make something. Keep in mind that the 450/451 blowers are heavy pigs, and they are lifted by pushing on the rod, so it needs to be up to the challenge. You also definitely want the threaded clevis/rod arrangement so that it is adjustable.

Also, some of the used parts guys here (Ray Weaver, Rich Patton) might have one to sell you. Go to the vendors area of the classifieds to get their info. You can also list in the "wanted to buy" area.

I would take a shot looking for the used one first, and just buy new if too hard to find, but that is just me.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

I sell a few of those blowers in a year and all the blowers dont all come with rods we end up making some and last I thought we checked they were nla will have to check again

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Mike,do you have the bracket that goes on the rockshaft that pushes the lift arm?
If not you'll need that too.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Extra rockshaft bracket is only required on regular GTs. Supers already have the extra arm in place. It is a good idea to get the extra short strap that ties the dozer blade/thrower lift arm to the mower lift arm. It is shown in the later Haban blade instruction manuals. Ties the two together nicely to prevent the weld from the outer arm from breaking. Like I said; these are heavy pigs!

The lift rods could have gone NLA, but currently all the parts sites show them as available.
<><

mikeyb
First and Last Name: Michael Bobbitt

Post by mikeyb »

Thanks guys for the info.

Tom, Ray, Big Mike,

Do any of you have a picture of the lift arm?
I got this blower back in the summer and the PO had the thing in about three different pieces so I will probably need help putting this thing back together.
I will try to take some pictures this weekend of it.

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

Can someone post a pic of how that extra lift strap/bracket attaches? thanks
Adrian

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Adrian - The part is identified as "Strap, Cross Shaft Support", Cub # HA-14297, still available at about $23. The mower deck must be removed to be attached. It pins to the mower deck lift arm and bolts through the hole in the dozer blade/blower lift arm. It is simply a short flat strap with a dogleg in it to connect the two lift arms. I can't get a pic until I remove my mower deck for the year. If you have a newer copy of the Haban blade manual it is shown there.

Mikey - You need to get the owner's manual for the 450. The owner's manual explains much. It always worth starting with what the men that designed it have to say. You might find it available for download somewhere on the internet, or for purchase on epay. Perhaps someone on here has it in pdf for you. Again, just me, but I would chase down the correct lift rod and clevis, and follow Cub's manual for installing the blower.

When I got mine, much of the hardware was not correct, many of the washers were missing, bolts in wrong holes etc. The manual will clear these things up. You will also need the extension kit to mount it on a Super correctly if you don't already have that. Again, the manual will explain this. If you need the extension brackets, Ray Weaver has them made and sells them, as I think they are NLA.
<><

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Lift rod is still available from MTD

Clevis is part - 10991-0637 $66.04
Rod is part - 747-0564 $48.24

Lift strap - HA-14297 $23.28

Directly from MTDs parts site. All in stock.

The owners manual for the 450 is available from MTD as well. FREE. As are a LOT of the manuals and some service manuals as well.

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/Safe ... -3926a.pdf
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

red82s
First and Last Name: Adrian Gitch

Post by red82s »

I'm pretty sure that strap is for the supers. It connects that outer attachment arm to the a lift arm to help reinforce it from impacts like ramming a snowbank with the blade etc...
Adrian

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator

Post by Tom Scott »

Adrian is correct. The strap is only referred to in the Haban blade manual for Supers, but I believe in using it with the snow blowers as well. Some have had the outer lift arm break at the weld, so the extra reinforcement is worth the trouble with the snow blowers.

Bryan - The 401 blade is the Haban blade for the Super, and that is all that it fits on. Ray might have been thinking of a different bolt on arm for the GTs to use the snowblower. The Haban strap connects the outer lift arm to the lift arm for the mower deck that is inside the frame rails. Lower your hydraulic lift all the way to see it easier.

I try to avoid the ramming snow method with the blade, but things can get hit when all that white stuff is blocking your view. And, although you definitely shouldn't be ramming anything with the snow blowers they are so heavy that I like to use the lift strap on them as well.

When I install my Haban blade I will try to get a picture of the strap installed. Please forgive me, but I just can't get a picture now; I am lucky to squeeze in time to post... :(
<><