CC 3185/3165 and a 3240 project.

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
indy61
First and Last Name: Bill

Re: CC 3185/3165 and a 3240 project.

Post by indy61 »

Knowing my luck it would have a busted rearend when I got there. I've got no spares.

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

I finally unloaded the "new" one from the bed of the truck last night....

That trip just about wore me completely out.
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

bbaker wrote:I finally unloaded the "new" one from the bed of the truck last night....

That trip just about wore me completely out.
You old fart! :lol:

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

BM evidently so. I did introduce the new one to his brothers.
Attachments
20150327_183042.jpg
20150327_183042.jpg (115.2 KiB) Viewed 14222 times
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

duke
First and Last Name: john carolan

Post by duke »

Very nice very nice indeed :beer: Great picture

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Thanks, I need to figure out what all I need to do. I really don't need 3 of these machines! :)

Part of me wants to put the 25hp and the front ports on my 2nd 3240 tractor, and then sell the 3200 but I hate not leaving stuff factory as best I can. :shock:

The 3200 has low hours, but the paint could be a little better for such a new machine. Makes me think it must of sat out some. It's not that bad mind you, but I am really picky. It evidently was a trade in on a new Deere as I bought it from a JD dealer. I can tell you it must of been used primarily as a snow blower as the mower deck looks like it was used one time!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Of course on the other hand I do have an extra set of 23-10.50X12 Tru Powers just sitting around! :mrgreen:

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Did they put diesels in those models?......hmmmmmm :)

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

BigMike wrote:Did they put diesels in those models?......hmmmmmm :)
nope....

And I doubt I'll ever own another diesel GT. I like my kohlers, as they are just so much simpler.

Doog M
First and Last Name: Doog Martin

Post by Doog M »

BB is that blower hooked up? Or do you just have it sitting in front of the tractor? I would like to see that blower in action.
Tractor looks to be in good shape.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Doog M wrote:BB is that blower hooked up? Or do you just have it sitting in front of the tractor? I would like to see that blower in action.
It's currently still hooked up. I don't know if I have enough packing peanuts to get an action shot? :-)

bermuda-ken
First and Last Name: Kenneth Updike

Post by bermuda-ken »

My dad has a 3240 (bought it new) with 200? hours on it now. He has every option except the 3-point on it. He's kinda retired it, so I'm told its going to be mine...... :beer:

PaulArthur
First and Last Name: Paul A. Freiburger

Post by PaulArthur »

bbaker wrote:BM evidently so. I did introduce the new one to his brothers.
Now that's what a garage should look like! Hmm, I also see some interesting aircraft hanging from the ceiling, looks like a heavy-duty hobby.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

PaulArthur wrote:
bbaker wrote:BM evidently so. I did introduce the new one to his brothers.
Now that's what a garage should look like! Hmm, I also see some interesting aircraft hanging from the ceiling, looks like a heavy-duty hobby.
That's my problem I have too many hobbies...

I do enjoy the airplanes though until they crash... :evil:

Doog M
First and Last Name: Doog Martin

Post by Doog M »

bbaker wrote:
Doog M wrote:BB is that blower hooked up? Or do you just have it sitting in front of the tractor? I would like to see that blower in action.
It's currently still hooked up. I don't know if I have enough packing peanuts to get an action shot? :-)
That would be funny to see. :beer:

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I sold a bunch of Cubs on Ebay a couple weeks ago leaving me with the (2) 3240's the GT3200 and my ole 782. I plan to sell the GT3200 at some point as well as I really only wanted the snow blower. I also still have the New Holland GT95 garden tractor and I was finally able to find a cat 0 3pt hitch for it after years of searching.

Being that I sold the 3185 I was mowing with I had to put one of the 3240's to work as a mower. I hated to do that but I ain't push mowing! :)

I have just about lost all interest in the garden tractor hobby except that they are useful. I plowed the garden for the homeless vet center a few weeks ago with the 782 and was reminded that these "little" tractors are so useful.

I just thought I would update you on where all of this stood and that other than my original 782 which I will never sell I have gone completely 3K series and can't see myself wanting for anything else.

But.... keep your eyes open for a hydraulic tiller for a 3K series for me as I'd like to have one. :D

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Ask and BB shall receive! :)

Thanks to Oak Todd I drove to Jackson TN a couple weekends ago and picked up this tiller. It didn't come with the brackets that attach to the tractor to hold the pump under the tractor so I had to order those. I went to hook it all up today and it appears the brackets that came with it were modified to make it fit another tractor. Also the hydraulic hoses are extended. So I'll be calling my local dealer and ordering a few more parts. I HATE previous owner modifications. The fellow I bought it from hadn't ever used it as he bought it thinking he could make it work on another brand of tractor. So I am not even sure it works.... cross your fingers folks that it does as these things aren't cheap...
Attachments
20150614_095509.jpg
20150614_095509.jpg (172.03 KiB) Viewed 14183 times
20150614_095501.jpg
20150614_095501.jpg (155.98 KiB) Viewed 14183 times

mpfeiffer
First and Last Name: Matt Pfeiffer

Post by mpfeiffer »

Thats a sweet setup.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Very cool Bryan. I posted a few years ago when I used my 3 point tiller on my loader Super. It did a fantastic job, I just couldn't believe how it chewed through my clay soil with large rocks. From what I hear those hydraulic tillers do well too.

I bought mine with the intention of starting a vegetable garden, but apparently I just don't have time for five cords of wood every year and a garden. So far I have only used my tiller twice, but it has been fabulous both times with difficult ground on both occasions.

The ground smoothing roller cage behind it is slick, but even without that everything that came out of the back of mine looked like it had just been raked smooth. I suspect your roller cage helps firm it a little so it is not so fluffy when done.

Give us an update when you get all the PO mess undone and your in business.
:beer:

PS - Hi Matt, still loving my 2182-2! Gotta give us some posts of what you've been doing.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

I have started taking out the landscape down the sides of my house so once I get all the rock scooped up and the matt picked up I plan to till it up and reseed it so this till may get some use. Where I live currently I don't have much use for a tiller but I like the idea of having one as there have been a few occasions it would of been useful.

I mowed with the 3240 tonight and it's just a pleasure to mow with. It's quiet, comfortable, turns effortlessly and on a dime, and mows great. I had no idea a couple years ago being given a very rusty nasty 3K series would lead me down this path, but mowing tonight I thought to myself I am sure glad it did. How I have overlooked the 3K series tractors all these years is beyond me? Maybe it's because they were so new and out of my price range. Now that they have a few years on them the prices are coming down some.

If you can get your hands on one that's been taken some care of for a good price I think you'll be as pleased as I have been. Every series of tractors has their issues and the 3K series aren't without a few faults, but I don't think you can find a more comfortable heavy duty garden tractor than these are.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Looks great! I like the idea of the hydraulic power. I have seen some power landscape rakes or "Harley rakes" w those roller baskets behind and man does it look nice when done.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

mobermiller
First and Last Name: Mark Obermiller

Post by mobermiller »

Hello. This is my first post with this group.

I too have a 3240 that I bought new. My diff lock broke and punched a hole in the case. I repaired the rear end and JB welded the plug back in. Well it has seeped oil ever since.

I am planning to do a restore of the 3240 this winter. I will be checking the differential gears and properly repairing the case. I plan on stripping all of the paint and give it a new yellow and white shine.

My problem is the decals. I see where someone made the side cover decals. Any suggestions for a full set?

Thanks so much!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Mark, I was talking to my buddy the other day about copying and offering a full set of decals for these tractors. The process is to take very good pictures of the decals and then he takes the photos to make the decals on printed vinyl. It really helps to take the decals off carefully to give him to photo and copy himself. I may do this at some point so that he can reproduce the decal sets.

I'm not sure what the cost for the entire set would be, but he's reasonable. Give me some time and this may very well happen. I hate to ask him to do it for just one set, but if we could sell a few sets it would be more worth his time.

His business is he makes decals for model airplanes, real race cars, vehicle wraps, and lettering etc so it keeps him busy but he is usually willing to help an ole buddy out from time to time!

mobermiller

Post by mobermiller »

Hand controlled 3240
Hand controlled 3240
20150318_175244.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 14133 times
Bryon thanks for the response. The only new decal I have found is the front bumper decal so I have a new one that can easily be scanned. I love my 3240 and currently mow about 10 acres with it.

I used to use a full sized tractor with a finish mower to mow my 10 acres. About three years ago I had a disk rupture in my back and left me with no use of my feet so getting on the tractor was out, the foot controls was a problem and the 3240 was parked, so I bought an 1811 and started mowing all 10 acres using a 44" deck. I quickly found a 50" deck for the 1811 and this saved a little time, but this was too much!

Last winter I found a 60" in deck that someone had rigged as a finish mower for a 3pt hitch. The closer I looked I saw that it actually would fit a 3000 series cub. I bought it and with parts from my 44" off my 3240 I was in business. My next dilemma was figuring how to convert to hand controls. Long story short, I was able to tie into the shaft that the foot petals attached to.

I had forgotten how much I liked my 3240 and I plan on using it for many more years in the future.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Something I just learned. Cub still uses this rear end in the new XT3 Garden Tractors. It doesn't appear to have the differential lock, but the part numbers for the right side case match the part number for the right side case in the 3240. So if my theory is right about lack of lock tight or bolts not being tight it seems Cub has rectified this and they believe in the strength of this rear end?

and... the GSX model has the locking rear diff although it's now a lever that appears to be on the fenders?

Paul B
First and Last Name: Paul R. Bell
Location: Louisville, KY, where all your IH built Cub Cadets were born

Post by Paul B »

BB.

I bought a new XT3 GS and it does not have a locking differential, nor does the XT3 GSE, according to the XT brochure, but the XT2 LX46 fabricated deck and the XT2 LX54 fabricated deck has an auto locking diff, and the XT3 GSX has a manual locking diff.
May you always have as many landings as you do takeoff's.........

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Paul B wrote:BB.

I bought a new XT3 GS and it does not have a locking differential, nor does the XT3 GSE, according to the XT brochure, but the XT2 LX46 fabricated deck and the XT2 LX54 fabricated deck has an auto locking diff, and the XT3 GSX has a manual locking diff.
Can I come mow your grass? :) You know to test drive it! :)

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Mark, where did you find the decal for the front bumper? I've been looking and couldn't find any of the 40th anniversary decals so far.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

stevet wrote:Mark, where did you find the decal for the front bumper? I've been looking and couldn't find any of the 40th anniversary decals so far.
My local dealer got me one. It's the only one they could get.

mobermiller

Post by mobermiller »

stevet wrote:Mark, where did you find the decal for the front bumper? I've been looking and couldn't find any of the 40th anniversary decals so far.
As BB stated, I ordered it online through a dealer when I purchased other parts. I was surprised it was available. I think I paid around $5.00 for it.

I just checked the decal is still available. I hope I'm not breaking any rules but here is the link. http://www.greatoutdoorpowersports.com/ ... 0055400027

Great outdoor power sports is the cheapest place I've found to order cub parts.