rear pto 1572

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
NBMIKE
First and Last Name: Mike McNeil

rear pto 1572

Post by NBMIKE »

Is it worth the expense to install a rear PTO on my 1572. I have a 2 b tiller that would have to be converted. I was wondering as the belt model seems to work fine. Let me know of any advantages or disadvantages other than the obvious belt thing. I am new to this so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Re: rear pto 1572

Post by Oak »

NBMike, do you have the rear pto setup? If you do that's great but if you don't they are hard to find and will run you about $400 to $500 to get one.
Here are 3 options.

There is an adapter that will take your cat 0 hitch so that the 2B can be mounted on it and just use the belt setup.
I've not seen a conversion with the 2000 rpm converted to adapt to a sleeve hitch tiller yet but there are some talented people here that may have done that.
Another option if you have the rear pto is try and find a cat 0 tiller for it but they are also hard to find.

Good luck and lets see some pictures of your machine.

NBMIKE

Post by NBMIKE »

Thanks for the input. I was inspecting the gear drive and the pulley on the bottom will need repair or replacement. They seem to be hard to find. It tilled great this year but I know the missing rim piece on that pulley is going to cause problems. If I can figure out how to upload some pictures I will post a few. I really like this tractor so I don't mind spending some money on the unit. If anyone knows where I can get a pulley let me know. I have a friend who is a machinist he may be able to fix mine.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Mike - I don't know of an adapter to run the belt drive tiller from the rear pto, but as Todd says there was an adapter kit to mount it to the Cat 0 hitch and still run a belt up to the front pto.

Don't know what you currently have for a hitch, but the Cat 0 on the Supers did not have to come with the rear pto. The rear pto was a separate kit.

If you don't have anything you have several options:
1) You can keep your eye out for the factory Cat 0 hitch, pto, and a Cat 0 tiller. That is what I did just because I wanted it and I got it all together in less than a year once I started looking. Sit down when shopping, its expensive!
2) Forget the rear pto and just get a Cat 0 hitch. If it is the factory hitch, you can add the rear pto later if you find one. You can adapt your current tiller you have (as has been mentioned) without a rear pto.
3) You can install a sleeve hitch to carry the tiller. More care is needed here with the aluminum rear, XtremeMotorworks has kits for the aluminum rear.

If you haven't visited, XtremeMotorworks (http://www.xtrememotorworks.com/) has Cat 0 hitches, but his are like the ones for the regular GT, so you can't add a rear pto to them. Otherwise it looks like those who have purchased are very pleased. There is another guy that primarily makes Deere hitches, but I have heard that he has made factory replica Super Cat 0 hitches that you can add the pto to.

And, all my words may be for nothing because you may already have this tiller mounted... :lol:

I ended up with the model 442 tiller made by Bush Hog for Cub, and it is a beast.
Here is a short thread of my set-up: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5157&p=28780&hilit= ... 442#p28780
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

NBMIKE

Post by NBMIKE »

Thanks Tom . I am having the damaged pulley repaired at the machine shop it is the lower pulley on the rear gear box. After looking at the land I have to manage and the great job the belt drive system did in tilling my garden I am just going to leave it alone for now. I recently took the mounting system on my tractor for the tiller and made a three point hitch for it. My neighbor gave me an almost new condition sears robuck plow and cultivator that he had on an old sears ssgarden tractor. I can now plow,till,cultivate my garden. I have a 450 snow blower and a 50c mower to take on the other chores. I keep thinking about changing the tractor but perhaps while stuff is working good a person may be best to leave it alone

stevet
First and Last Name: Steve Townsend

Post by stevet »

Just to follow up on Tom's post, if you do need a Cat 0 hitch at some point, I purchased on from Ruegg Mfg...who does build them new. They are an exact copy of the original Super hitch and I am very impressed with his hitch. He does an outstanding job, and his new hitch costs the same or cheaper than what I've found other hitches to be. If you can't find an original Super hitch, you can't go wrong with his. His website is www.rueggmfg.com if you want to take a look. He doesn't show the Super hitch, but e-mail or call and he will give you the info on it.

NBMIKE

Post by NBMIKE »

That's great to hear. I built a three point hitch the other day that fits the mount for my 2b tiller. I had to build a step out system to get the width and a set of arms that come down for on my central arm lift. I drilled adjustment holes in the arms to vary the heights on my left and right down arms. It works great on the cultivator and plow I am using. They came off a sear tractor an old ss12 but they are like new with a three point set up. All that being said I am going to check out the sight you mentioned. Thanks so much. Mike