48" & 54" GT/SGT & 3000 Series mower deck mulch plug

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

48" & 54" GT/SGT & 3000 Series mower deck mulch plug

Post by Tom Scott »

A rather long title for the topic, but with the difficultly I had in identifying a mulching plug (discharge baffle), I wanted this to be findable by anyone it would help. So, along the same lines I am also going to list some of the NLA part numbers.

Many of the mulching kits had elaborate skirting and baffles, but my interest is for mulching only leaves; I side discharge the grass normally with great results, so no reason to create a mushy mess of grass under the deck. For leaves, from my experience, only a mulching plug and the right set of blades are needed.

So, here is the boring list of now mostly NLA numbers, here for someone else who happens along trying to Google up a mulch plug like I was.

For GT & SGT, the original numbers were:
48" deck (model 317): 506, mulch kit. Discharge baffle (plug): 603-0395-0637 and is actually still available, but a whopping $192.
48" deck (model 317): 502, mulch kit. This kit had even more extensive baffling: 603-0222 (NLA)
54" deck (model 324): 507, mulch kit. Discharge baffle (plug): 603-0396 (NLA)

The 3000 series used different versions of the same decks and used the same mulch kits. Now the good part...

During my search I found an ePay seller who advertised that the mulch plug for the newer Cub zero turns would also fit the older decks that I listed above. I ordered the new plug from my dealer, and it fits my 54" like a champ. The new plug does not try to be a long under the deck baffle like the older versions, it just covers the outlet and reaches in part way around the front to smooth the transition from the deck to the plug. This design allowed them to make one plug that fits both the 48" & 54" decks. I test fit the plug in my neighbors 48" on a 3000 series and it fits the same on his, no difference in the deck outlet designs.

The part number for the new replacement plug is: 731-04651, $37. Pictures...
54 deck plug.JPG
54 deck plug.JPG (936.78 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
54 deck plug, installed.JPG
54 deck plug, installed.JPG (848.89 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
The plug was originally intended to be held in by the discharge chute with the two tabs above. I don't have a discharge chute, and don't desire one, so a tarp bungee works just fine. You can see that the bottom of the plug is supported by the "finger guard" (Cubs name, not mine).

I should have taken before and after pics of the yard, but the leaves aren't all that heavy yet, so more impressive pics can come later. Previously I have mulched with a 46" bagging deck with a brownie pan blocking the discharge, with great results, but this seems like it is working even better. I believe the blades are just the factory blades or an equivalent replacement, not Gators or any other special blade.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><