Cleaning up the 2072

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
daraabi
First and Last Name: Adam R

Re: Cleaning up the 2072

Post by daraabi »

Heh heh - it got pretty cold here too. I think it bottomed out at around 34 degrees. During the day its in the 60s and 70s though. I know cold though, I'm from western NY originally. Glad I left it behind! I got the deck out by putting the rear end up on stands and jacking the front end way up. Lets just say I had to make sure I was careful - I had to get the front end up there pretty high! I am NOT looking forward to putting that sucker back under there again!

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

They say you can drive over there decks. But then I don't own one.... :dontknow: :dontknow:

duke
First and Last Name: john carolan

Post by duke »

JMotuzick wrote:They say you can drive over there decks. But then I don't own one.... :dontknow: :dontknow:
I have the white 60" haban.I have never drove over it or heard of anyone doing that.That would be nice.I have took mine off and on a few different ways.But taking off a rear tire is the easiest way i have fond.

34 degrees i would take that in a min

daraabi

Post by daraabi »

duke wrote:
JMotuzick wrote:They say you can drive over there decks. But then I don't own one.... :dontknow: :dontknow:
I have the white 60" haban.I have never drove over it or heard of anyone doing that.That would be nice.I have took mine off and on a few different ways.But taking off a rear tire is the easiest way i have fond.

34 degrees i would take that in a min
Woke up to 57 degrees today... Might need a jacket... lol gotta poke fun at you guys up north!

duke

Post by duke »

I just heard tomorrows hi is 2 degrees
Cant wait till spring.This winter here has been way better than last year.

daraabi

Post by daraabi »

Well I went out there yesterday to finish up the battery tray and as soon as I opened the door - mini heart attack. There were 2 oil slicks under the tractor... So I started rooting around to figure out where they came from and could find nothing. I checked the oil and --- full. Hmmm. I then realized that I have had the tractor up on jack stands for the past few days so I'm thinking that what dripped onto the floor was all the overflows and messy oil changes of 30 years that built up in the engine baffles. It must have all drained out - which is actually kind of nice to know. If its not one thing its another...

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Adam, i guess that could be possible.... but i would think oil that missed the oil fill or hit the engine plate near the drain would have been gone long ago....unless u just did this.lol Might want to try some paper or card board under there to trace the location of drips. The steering column is know for leaks, especially in cooler weather. Oh wait....u still have 70's down there.lol Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

daraabi

Post by daraabi »

Got the linkage all put back together with a new trunnion. I also got the battery tray put back together as well and got the tractor running again.

I just really need to replace the long connecting rod - its just a little too short at its longest adjustment so I've got a little too much reverse. But it goes into neutral now! Its actually safe to drive!

Next I'm working on adjusting the throttle cable and the choke cable then painting everything. I will keep things updated!

daraabi

Paint!

Post by daraabi »

Finally got a coat of paint on the fenders. It turned out decent, but the CC paint sprayed really really dry. Ended up with some nasty orange peel. Weird. Looks good on the tractor though!

So now I need to move on to the hood etc. Lots of work ahead!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Adam...u for got the tunnel cover! :banghead: just kidding...im sure u had a good reason. :lol: Looks good. When i saw u were painting i was like "what".....then i remembered u r in Florida. Did u try adjusting your gun for more volume....seems to me thats the only way to make it more "wet". First tack coat is good to b light or dry.....last coat u want to put it on pretty thick or wet, But not so much as to get the "runs" :oops: Dave

daraabi

Post by daraabi »

dag1450 wrote:Adam...u for got the tunnel cover! :banghead: just kidding...im sure u had a good reason. :lol: Looks good. When i saw u were painting i was like "what".....then i remembered u r in Florida. Did u try adjusting your gun for more volume....seems to me thats the only way to make it more "wet". First tack coat is good to b light or dry.....last coat u want to put it on pretty thick or wet, But not so much as to get the "runs" :oops: Dave
Yea I know... Didnt want to do the tunnel until I have replacement decals ready. We tried cranking the gun out all the way and it was still dry. Very odd!

And it was like 85 yesterday... Almost TOO hot to paint!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

ok.. something similar happen to me one time. I know every gun is different, mine is Husky HVLP from the Depot. Got in like a two pk for under $100. One time I found a packing screw under the trigger had worked out and limited the pull of the trigger....this then limited the volume. If the paint is mixed right your gun should b able to flood the piece with material. Had the gun been used before..... maybe there is a clog....some have a small replacable screen under the cup in the body. Dave

duke

Post by duke »

If you are using a fast dying reducer this will happen.In fact the same thing happened to me when i 1st started painting.So now i use a medium drying reducer and it works a lot better,for me anyway.
For me it seems the better gun i have the better i paint.I tried the box store guns and i never had good luck.The gun i have fond that works good is a devilbiss HVLP.I think i paid $125 or $150?
One more thing i fond that is very important that i didn't think was.Is how and what you use to clean the paint gun when you are done.
I also watched a lot of ytube of people painting and that helped too.
For some reason yellow is very hard to paint.I hate painting yellow and when i can paint any other color it seems easy :beer:

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

Adam, the 2072 is looking good, one thing I would do though is wash the white grease off the trunnion and such and use some dry graphite or something dry. You would be amazed at the crap that the grease will collect.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Good point John about the reducers and thinners. I saw he had mineral spirits next to the paint .....I have not found them to dry too fast, but 85 is pretty hot.lol Adam maybe u could report back what it calls for on the label as a thinner.

daraabi

Post by daraabi »

dag1450 wrote:Good point John about the reducers and thinners. I saw he had mineral spirits next to the paint .....I have not found them to dry too fast, but 85 is pretty hot.lol Adam maybe u could report back what it calls for on the label as a thinner.
It doesnt. The paint literally has ZERO instructions on it!

daraabi

Correct Belt Size?

Post by daraabi »

So I got the deck back on - well my Dad did while I was at work. He said the PO installed the deck all wrong to make up for a oversized belt... Nice. He was able to adjust it so the deck would engage, but only if the mule pulley was up against the mule front (if that makes sense). So I guess I should get a new belt. I'm struggling to figure out what I need though. So what belt would I need with a super 2072 and a 60" deck???

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Adam - Partstree.com lookup shows 954-3023 as correct Cub part number (supercedes old number 754-3023). My hoodlehead friend dag1450 (who has somehow locked himself out of the forum for now...) texted me and warned that some competitors (like Gates) cross the number to a belt that is too long. I would order the Cub belt to be sure to get the correct length.

If you look up your machine on partstree.com, scroll to the bottom and you will see all the attachments for the 2072 listed. You can then look up anything there that you need for them.

Let us know how it goes.
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Im back in now :oops: U r a bad man....u let your dad struggle with that beast by him self...sham on u! Yea for your first belt get the Cub...kinda pricey but that way u can measure it and get a base line for future purchases. I think Tom has preached this before...if u do buy another brand...it has to be rated for "outdoor" power. I think the gates r green, i found an old stock Good Year "insta power" that works. I had a Kevlar wrapped belt for a year...then power steering leaked on it, it was toast after that. I dont think the rubber would have deteriorated like the Kevlar did. Dave

daraabi

Post by daraabi »

dag1450 wrote:Im back in now :oops: U r a bad man....u let your dad struggle with that beast by him self...sham on u! Yea for your first belt get the Cub...kinda pricey but that way u can measure it and get a base line for future purchases. I think Tom has preached this before...if u do buy another brand...it has to be rated for "outdoor" power. I think the gates r green, i found an old stock Good Year "insta power" that works. I had a Kevlar wrapped belt for a year...then power steering leaked on it, it was toast after that. I dont think the rubber would have deteriorated like the Kevlar did. Dave
Yea he kinda took it on himself. He kept telling me to sell the tractor... all the while obviously enjoying working on it... He did the "drive-over" method which seemed to work well once we were able to stop the deck from moving.

And I bought a belt. We shall see how it goes!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Wow! Good job on the drive over. I can see how that would work for the install, either remove all the castors and roller or shim it up on like 2x4s to stop the roll. Then build like cribbing ramps to get the front tires on to the deck. I dont see getting it off that way.... as i have looked many times and there is no room for ramps to back the front tires up onto the deck in reverse. Well now that its on your done :lol: I never take mine off..... I will have to post the simple ramps i made for cleaning and blade replacement. They r fun to use too, cause they r real steep....feels like your on a rocket ship! :shock: . Good job Adam....and Adams DAD!!

daraabi

Post by daraabi »

We tried putting the deck up on 2x4s but man did that thing want to slide. We got it in the end though. Went ahead and ordered a new belt too, got it yesterday. Hooked it up and what a difference! Dang thing would only engage if the deck was all the way down before... Now it goes no matter what! Gotta love it!

Now I just gotta get the time to get some paint on the hood etc...

duke

Post by duke »

dag1450 wrote: I will have to post the simple ramps i made for cleaning and blade replacement.
I would be interested in seeing some pictures.I use old car ramps to clean the deck.They work good but depending on the deck i could use some more room :beer:

==========================
3235 2284 1882 1872 2165

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Yea sure thing duke. I might try to get my blades changed later this week, we will see.....if not i will get some pics anyway! Wait till u see these babies....... SWEEEEET! I dont know......maybe i should paint them before i show and tell. :? Whats a good color for tractor ramps....lets see, im driving up over them.... so...JD green?

duke

Post by duke »

dag1450 wrote:Yea sure thing duke. I might try to get my blades changed later this week, we will see.....if not i will get some pics anyway! Wait till u see these babies....... SWEEEEET! I dont know......maybe i should paint them before i show and tell. :? Whats a good color for tractor ramps....lets see, im driving up over them.... so...JD green?
Did you get your ramps painted?

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Sorry.....changing and sharping blades is so...boring. I am working on my new toy, a 1650. I only has a couple hours today in the shop and i spent it trying to get the front rim off.lol Yes...off the spindle! :x :x . Heading out to a baseball game now and tomorrow Lax tournament. Tomorrow afternoon maybe? These ramps r the Bomb! Wait till u see them. :lol: Dave

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Posted the ramps in the coffee shop. Sorry Adam.....for the hijack. Dave :beer:

PaulArthur
First and Last Name: Paul A. Freiburger

Post by PaulArthur »

Nice work, the wheels look great. You will have a real nice rig when you're all done. Keep the updates coming, please.

daraabi

Post by daraabi »

PaulArthur wrote:Nice work, the wheels look great. You will have a real nice rig when you're all done. Keep the updates coming, please.
Hey thanks! I'm actually debating painting the wheels with chrome paint... Not sure about that one yet. In the meantime I haven't done much other than cut grass with the old girl, and that nice 60" deck makes SHORT work of my 1/4 acre lol!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Ah man!....I love Chrome paint! Those wheels would look sick! There is a product out now (i think only for pros) that is a spray on chrome paint or coating.....it looks amazing. The only trouble i have had w the chrome and gold paint is that it is not durable at all. Y may need to clear over it or something. Dave