New Arrival

This is where we can discuss all the stuff made after IH's sale to MTD.
PaulArthur
First and Last Name: Paul A. Freiburger

New Arrival

Post by PaulArthur »

Hello,

I recently happened upon the CubCadetCollectors.com and liked the idea of having a forum available that was decided to the post IH Cub Cadets, so I decided to check it out. I have a GT2550 that is mostly used for mowing and lawn care, and a GT3235 that is used for everything else. I enjoy not only the maintenance part of ownership, but I also like creating modifications. My current attachments for the GT3235 include:

- 48” Ground Contact Deck
- Model 353 Snow Blower
- Model 207 3-Point Hitch
- 413 Weight Bracket w/ Suitcase Weights
- 412 Wheel Weights
- Kwik Way Front-end Loader

I recently settled on a sleeve-hitch/weight bracket for the 3-point and am deciding between a Brinly-Hardy or Agri-Fab box blade. I am also looking for a hydraulic angling kit for a 3000 series.

Hopefully we have some other 3000 series Cub Cadet fans here that I can share experiences with. Cheers!

Paul

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Re: New Arrival

Post by Tom Scott »

Paul - Welcome to our fourm!

The 3000 series don't get as many posts here, but I think it will continue to grow as these tractors are now getting into the hands of enthusiasts/collectors.

Pics, pics, pics... Pictures are always good!

Also, not a bad thing to list your tractors in your signature line, always nice to see what people have and have experience with.

Again, Welcome!
:beer:
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

duke
First and Last Name: john carolan

Post by duke »

Welcome :beer:

I also have a GT3235.Its been great for me so far.I really like the 25hp command.
__________-
GT3235
SGT 2284
SGT 1882 cat0
SGT 1872

bbaker
First and Last Name: Bryan Baker

Post by bbaker »

Paul, about a year ago I discovered the 3K series tractors. I have uhm.. well...a "few" now. :)

Post some pics of your tractor. I'd especially like to see the loader on a 3K machine.

I have a meandering post on this page about my adventures with the 3K machines.

Glad to have another 3K person on the board!
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

PaulArthur

Post by PaulArthur »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here. I really like my GT2550, but the 3000’s are something special – I have pictures of both below. Bryan, I really enjoyed your thread, great stuff. By now you know the 3000’s inside and out. The KwikWay seen below is not installed yet (will be on in a week or two) as I have the tractor apart for multiple projects:

- R&R of the Command sump cover to fix an oil leak
- Installed Kohler dipstick oil fill kit
- Added Sendek tachometer
- Added VDO temp gauge
- Created a remote oil drain valve
- Installed electric fuel pump
- Built tail lamps with reverse and brake lights
- Fabricated 4 bolt front hubs (below also)

The above comments on the diff-lock being actuated by the brake pedal are on point, I disconnected mine also. I am going to mount the 3 point hitch lift valve on the right side (using a 2nd cup holder trim), as I am also installing a hydraulic angling control in the 3rd position on the left side. A local hydraulic shop is making up a hose to connect the left and right valves. I will post more pictures when the KwikWay is mounted. Cheers!
Attachments
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG (3.69 MiB) Viewed 5850 times
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (305.88 KiB) Viewed 5850 times
Hub 1.jpg
Hub 1.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 5850 times

duke
First and Last Name: john carolan

Post by duke »

Thanks for the update.Can't wait to see the FEL on.
Not many here will agree?But i also like the 2500's Very underrated.The 3000's are way underrated. :beer:
SGT 1872
CC 2165

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

ok...First ,Welcome Paul! Second....please tell some stories! In what looks to b only your second post u mentioned LOTS of cool upgrades and a pic of what looks to b a new or almost new FEL. :shock: Wow! How did u aquire the loader .......and mayb at some point u could expand on the :hubs, temp gauge, hydraulic valve, oil drain mods, and tach. when u get time. lol

If i had to guess....it sounds to me u lost your auto drivers license and u r trying to making this cub road worthy. BRAKE and REVERSE LIGHTS!! I have to see more of this! :lol: Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

VScott
First and Last Name: V Scott

Post by VScott »

Welcome, Paul!

Great collection there. You have found the right place! As more people discover the 3000 series, they find out what an awesome machine they are. In my opinion, the 3000 series is the last true garden tractor that CC made, and the most comfortable ride CC ever made!

Vinny

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Paul, nice tractors! I will be watching to see your hydraulic modifications unfold. With these machines it would certainly be possible to have 6 functioning hydraulic circuits although I am not sure what you would need that many? :)

I too have been thinking about getting some lines made to add the aux hydraulics to my other 3240, I have a couple extra valves already as my hitch kit came with one, and I have the valve from a 3185 I parted, and maybe even another one from the 3225 I bought as parts.
Cub Cadet, John Deere, New Holland, bobcat, Chevrolet, and Harley Davidson just a few brands I'm proud to own.

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

VScott wrote:Welcome, Paul!

Great collection there. You have found the right place! As more people discover the 3000 series, they find out what an awesome machine they are. In my opinion, the 3000 series is the last true garden tractor that CC made, and the most comfortable ride CC ever made!

Vinny
I could not agree more. I think the diff lock in the rear end can be a weak spot, but I am also going to open up my cast rears before I use them and Loctite every bolt in them. Some of the rear failures I have read about have been from a bolt being pushed through the bottom on the case. So I think before I really put one of these tractors to use with the cast rear I'm gonna go through it with a fine tooth comb that way I know it will be assembled and all bolts tight inside.

Oak
First and Last Name: Todd O'Connor

Post by Oak »

Paul, welcome to CCC.com. That loader is sweeeeet and so are your machines! I too am a big fan of the 3K tractors. Looking forward to, and will need lots of pics of the loader set up.

PaulArthur

Post by PaulArthur »

John – Thanks, I bought my GT2550 new in November of 2008 and it’s been a great workhorse – never let me down. It mows extremely well (currently using Gator blades), is an awesome snow clearing machine (341 blower, chains, 2-3 suitcases), and can walk away with a full trailer of soil like nothing. It does have a few faults (like the hood lash-up job ARRRGHHH! - converted mine to a front opener), but all in all, it’s a tough GT that does everything well.

Dave – Thanks also. My loader was the last one that KwikWay made after the 3000’s were discontinued and was purchased by a longtime Cub guy in Michigan – I remember when he bought it. I found out that he was selling it last summer, as he was moving to a farm and needed a bigger tractor (he bought a killer John Deere CUT). Knowing that it was only 18 months old, I made an offer immediately and drove over to get it a week or so later. Yes it looks hardly used, but I am tempted to give it a coat of Cub yellow next fall after all my summer work is done.

LOL, I can see why one might think I lost my license, but I have been doing the mods on the GT3235 since I brought it home in June of 2013 (with 190 hours). I know the brake lights are over the top, but as it is for many, wrenching on one GT or the other is my hobby, and creating mods (like the lights) is just fun for me. I will post more pictures of this stuff as I have time.

V Scott – A big ditto! Maybe we should start a new thread about the 2500’s as there is much to talk about with these machines as well, including their current shaft-drive successors, which I happen to like. But I am also disappointed at Cub Cadet abandoning that part of the market. When you look at the 3000 series catalogs (or even more so their immediate predecessors) and realize that at one point they competed with JD blow for blow in the GT market, it’s pretty sad.

Bryan – Special thanks to you, really appreciate your threads. I will be installing the 3 point hitch in the next week or two and will post pictures. My 4th lift valve will be in the right rear slot, as on my tractor the hydro fluid transfer tube is in the way of the center slot. Is the tube routed differently on one of yours? I could see where the alloy rear might be different. Good thoughts on the rear end preventative measures, I agree. Am looking forward to following your progress also!

Todd – Thanks too, I am anxious to give try it out also. I had to store most of the loader over the winter, but I did install the mounting tabs and hang the sub-frame. It’s a sweet set up, very well engineered with a separate hydraulic pump that runs off the PTO shaft. Will get some install pictures when it goes on.

Thanks again to all, will post some more stuff next week. Cheers!

bbaker

Post by bbaker »

Didja get that loader and 3pt install yet??? :)

PaulArthur

Post by PaulArthur »

The GT3235 is still apart as I am going to put a hydraulic angling kit on before I put everything back together. However, as I can't find an angling kit, I am working on piecing one together. It looks like I have some time before I can start on my landscape project anyway - snow is in the weather forecast for the next couple of days.